View Poll Results: Following our 3D thread- Whats your age?
Under 18 79 4.47%
19-25 91 5.15%
26-35 262 14.83%
36-45 379 21.45%
45-55 385 21.79%
54-65 374 21.17%
65+ 197 11.15%
Voters: 1767. You may not vote on this poll

This thread is privately moderated by kohersh, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jan 09, 2020, 11:12 AM
Would a test of different props be relevant for this plane? i know you did that for the K52, but that included 3s/4s. I read inquiries regarding different props and PA planes. I would be interested in some other options, but don't know enough about the XL to know if its all that relevant.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 10, 2020, 09:03 PM
PA Team Pilot
I don't think I would use any other prop. I will be doing an addiction x and XL comparison video coming and a couple flight vids.
Jan 11, 2020, 10:18 AM
That alone is informative. To be clear, I only meant different sizes, not brands other than Vox
Jan 13, 2020, 08:55 AM
PA Team Pilot
Understood. Hey, this is an independent thread. Honestly, I have always input on ther brands or anything in this hobby honestly, regardless of sponsor roles. Best I can anyway. I will lose my value to everyone if I lose that integrity. I am with PA because I love their products. With Hobbyking because I believe in what they bring to the hobby. BY that I mean low prices and a major resource. They believed in me enough to let me to make the wargo series to help train pilots for aerobatics. That is my truth. But if you want info on any model or anything, I will be up front. Always.
Jan 13, 2020, 10:33 AM
Awesome! Thanks Michael! I have really enjoyed learning from you on this thread and look forward to being a pest on here for a long time to come.
Last edited by HD48; Jan 13, 2020 at 10:53 AM.
Jan 14, 2020, 10:46 AM
Thanks, Michael, for all you do for us aerobatic enthusiasts!!!
Jan 14, 2020, 02:01 PM
PA Team Pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enrique K.
Thanks, Michael, for all you do for us aerobatic enthusiasts!!!
You are welcome... As I have said before, in my learning years, I had no help, and even had an Extreme Flight Team pilot at my club who was my inspiration to try 3d, and that Son of a #&^# would never help me. I have definitely decided to help any or all and share any setting or secret I have to be helpful. It has been so much fun helping and like you, many have expressed their gratitude, and it has been very rewarding in return! Thanks for your support
Jan 15, 2020, 02:38 PM

a case for less expo

In Michael's XL setup video, he made a case for using less throw in 3D for smoothness. I've got some thoughts regarding less expo and would like to know what you guys think.
My opinions:
In any rotation, a hard, crisp stop adds intensity to the move. Simple example, a fast low pass, roll to knife edge stopping instantly is dramatic and intense. I also think the hard instant stop has more influence on this effect than the roll rate. I've found setups with lots of expo make it really difficult to get that hard, almost percussive stop, and, for this example, the arrival at Knife Edge is often mushy and vague. So since less throw requires less expo to manage, my opinion is less expo goes along with what Michael said in his setup vid, and helps us fly crisply and with intensity.

Anyway, just some opinions. I've often thought there is much more to flying 3D than just being able to do the moves well. I feel its what you do with those moves that makes a great flight. Any thoughts on this? Thanks for putting up with my ramblings.....

Dave
Jan 15, 2020, 09:28 PM
PA Team Pilot
I am not sure there is a strong correlation between expo and a hard stop. Only on Snaps or quick rolling maneuvers do we need a hard stop. I do it with the expo I always use. Just my thoughts. I never roll to a knife edge unless on a one and a quarter snap kind of thing. I love rolling to Knife edge slowly for drama... Good thoughts though. Lets see if anyone chimes in. I do like your last part though...
Jan 16, 2020, 10:35 AM
Interesting, love the feedback and always learn so much! As others have said, thank you.

Even though you're at a way higher level than me, we all have our own way of approaching this. I do like to roll to KE with a hard stop. I find a hard stop from any rotation to yield the same type of intensity as one from a roll, or maybe not to the same degree, a snap.

I'm betting you use the exact right amount of expo for your setup and style, and that you can control any kind of hard stop you want.

When I used to use full throws for everything, I used a lot of expo, above 70%, to still be able to get even 8 point rolls. Guess what? It didn't work. Once I reduced my throws and went to less expo, I had better control and was able to get the first point perfectly spaced. I also found I had much more control over the rolling hard stops I wanted to do. Less mushy and more precise. I never really cared much for snaps, although they look great when performed well. To each his own. But I really like the rolling hard stop, and I see a lot of guys doing them.
Anyway, thanks again!
Last edited by HD48; Jan 16, 2020 at 02:52 PM.
Jan 17, 2020, 08:03 PM
Topics here are always interesting. Thanks for all of it. Last few videos were really informative... thanks for posting them
Jan 18, 2020, 04:32 AM

Knife edge question

Hi
When doing a knife edge circuit of the club flying area , when the plane is further away , i cant tell if its pushing or pulling
ie , I cant tell if its pushing towards me or pushing away from. Easy to tell when Its on the close in part of the circuit

any good ideas here ?
cheers
Jan 18, 2020, 07:11 AM
Suspended Account
At 3 o clock and 9 o clock, i.e. when it's side on to you and soon will be both turning and getting far away, (or of course getting closer), look then and make that tiny input that is required.

Thus then is a way of keeping that input in, or at least knowing what input to make. Most planes have a slight different tendency depending which wing is up,and indeed which way you are turning.
Jan 18, 2020, 08:57 AM
PA Team Pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1101
Hi
When doing a knife edge circuit of the club flying area , when the plane is further away , i cant tell if its pushing or pulling
ie , I cant tell if its pushing towards me or pushing away from. Easy to tell when Its on the close in part of the circuit

any good ideas here ?
cheers
Glasses!!!... Just Kidding!

Always be pushing into the circle. Only real suggestion is that most mistakes in this seem to be the circle flattening out. As far as visual cues, I cannot think of one except to do your best with your vision. Also, in loops, they look good large, you might want to make tighter circles with the circuit. Easier to keep geometrically accurate.
Jan 18, 2020, 08:59 AM
PA Team Pilot
I think the biggest problem with that move is that when you are downwind, it will want to flatten out. Be aware of wind direction.

Quick Reply