Aug 13, 2013, 03:02 PM
Thanks for the tips about building. Have only been flying rc for about three years ( started as adult). And my most complicated build so far is Vleisies depron BD-5. I have never built with balsa.
Have the powerline from a Skyartec Cessna that I've used in a couple of other simple builds also, that I was going to use for the Dusty. It is a1530kV outrunner with a 18 amp esc that easily pulls a 8x6 prop. Think that this will be too much for this turbo thrush...
Have been planning to hot wire cut it out of blue foam, and cover it with brown paper, and somehow make the fuse hollow. But I'm worried about getting the geometry right. But I will have the whole long winter here in Finland to figure that out... Just loved to look of this one!

/Tommy
to remove ads between posts
Aug 14, 2013, 03:57 PM
RC 4 Life
Thread OP
The Thrush is a little more "cartooned" than Dusty.
I looked the trailers over and thought he was too scale to look right with the rest of the Cartoon planes. (too thin)

Tommy
I think your power system will work great but you might rethink the brown paper.
I've seen some great results with tissue and Minwax.
should be half the weight.
Aug 15, 2013, 08:47 PM
RC 4 Life
Thread OP

Tail feathers

We need the stabilizer next so while we have the stuff out let's do the fin too. Cut the horizontal stab and fin using the pattern from the plans.
Cut the elevator and rudder free.
Lay a pencil on it's side and draw a hinge line. turns out a sharpened pencil will make a line 3mm from the table surface . . .cool right?

Sand the leading edge to a point. See ailerons for tips to do a good job.
Install the hinge material to the control surfaces and let it set up.
Cut the slots to its mate and let it set up.
Sand the edges to a round contour.
Bend the crossover wire to connect the elevators then use it to mark its position on the stab.
Smashing the wire against the foam will leave a mark easy to see.
Use a heated wire to make slots in the elevators and bond the wire in place with epoxy.
Note the use of a flat surface and weights to hold the surfaces parallel.
Aug 18, 2013, 06:12 PM
RC 4 Life
Thread OP

Next week will be a fun one!

Great test flying day in Texas!
I’ll get the inflight stills posted and the video as soon as I can.
But I have to keep the build posts rolling since the first batch is out there.

BTW- All three new cartoon Planes did great today!

The PT-19 flew right out of my hand and shows promise at being another good one.
I still have the pilots to add and wheels though.

The L-19’s bugs are gone , loops, rolls even inverted flight ROG and landings oh, my.

The Thrush. . . . . we skipped the whole “over tall grass” thing and went straight to grass strip take off.
Move over miss America there is a new best flyer on the block.
Aug 19, 2013, 01:28 PM
RC 4 Life
Thread OP

Test flight

I normally save the test flight for last but this spot is as good as any to post the test flight.

As I said we skipped the over the tall grass test because the lighting was good for the video and the wind was getting over my 10 mph comfort zone.

Ed throttled up and made a roll correction once the wheels lifted off .
Looked close to me but the roll was away from me.
I heard a few beeps of trim and he went straight to stunts. I haven't seen one of my test pilots get comfortable since the Cartoon mustang.
He had a couple bounces at landing but by the end of the day touch and goes looked fun.
Check out the shots, I needed a darker blue sky because the haze washed them out a bit but there are a few good ones.
Aug 19, 2013, 01:29 PM
RC 4 Life
Thread OP

Assessment

Ed went to 70% travel for a low rate with 40 expo to smooth out the inputs and did a great job at having a good time with the Cartoon Thrush. I'll get him to post the first person impression later.
Downsizing to a 7 inch prop rather than my standard 8 inch prop helped a bunch with the prop torque on takeoff .
Originally went this direction (smaller prop) because of the lack of cooling air to the battery on this one.
the battery still comes home warm but not enough to damage the cells. The ESC and motor gets plenty of airflow through the scoop and out the turbo exhaust stacks.
Regrets? just one . . . .I wish I painted where the wire attaches to the wing.
Aug 19, 2013, 01:49 PM
Ken's CAD Models
Very nice Keith!

Ken
Aug 19, 2013, 08:02 PM
RC 4 Life
Thread OP

Nothing to type, just watch

Cartoon Turbo Thrush (3 min 21 sec)
Aug 19, 2013, 09:39 PM
That's a really neat airplane. Now another short kit I need to order!
Aug 20, 2013, 06:15 AM
"On the Wing"

Great video

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparks
It is so frustrating and a waste of time watching videos of a dot moving on a blue or gray background with some sort of musical overlay "enhancing" the experience.

I wish more people would learn how to shoot and edit videos. You can actually see and hear the plane all of the time in this video. Thanks.

Well executed build too.
Aug 20, 2013, 12:49 PM
RC 4 Life
Thread OP
Thanks Paul ; I'm on the same page with you. If you are going to record a dot in the sky cut it down to just the passes. In my case most of the video was just plain luck. Focus was the camera and keeping the model in frame is due to a gun stock I made for the camera. . . . .turn it on , aim and shoot.
I did have to cut about 45 seconds from the full run because the model got out of frame over my head though.

The rest all goes to Ed's personal control keeping the model about the same distance from me so zooming was not needed.
As for the audio , in the background you can hear the control line ring we operate at the club and a ugly stick playing around above.
Aug 20, 2013, 01:40 PM
Love the pics and video. Bought the short kit a couple of weeks ago. Gonna try to build it with my daughter (10). We started a Sig Kadet Senior build last summer, but it hasn't gotten too far. I'm hoping this foam build of a cute movie character will help keep the motivation up all the way to completion.

Where's a good place to order the foam sheets?

Thanks!
Lance
Aug 20, 2013, 05:21 PM
RC 4 Life
Thread OP
Great question.
You are going to find that the cartoon models build in “sessions” .
That is to say you apply the gorilla glue and the clamp pressure and wait 20 min. (An hour is better)
So the project is sort of a waiting for dinner kind of build. Most steps can be done in 15 min. then you can do something else while it dries.
That is not to say that that something else can’t be another component to the plane.

Foam acquisition .
I get my foam from rcfoam.com but in larger quantities than most.
Not because I build so much but because the shipping is so high.
They have invented what they call volumetric weight. This means large light weight boxes cost as much as small heavy ones.
Since a full sheet comes as a 27” X 39” we fall into the “heavy” category right from the start.
Adding sheets to the order only changes the initial cost by 3mm at a time so it is best to order for friends as well.

2nd option
Smaller sheets can be bought and used. Many foam dealers sell smaller sheets because of the shipping.
RCfoam.com sells bundle deals with a mix of 6mm and 3 mm.
I have contacted them with the idea to sell a cartoon foam package because I have so many that could be built from the same package but have had no reply.

So
What you need to know is the largest piece of all the Cartoon models is the wing.
Buy the 3mm sheets at least as long as the wing the width should cover it’s self but to be safe keep them at least 8 inches wide because that is the chord I have been working with.

4ea 3mm sheets 31” x 8” and 1 sheet of 6mm the same size should cover what you need.
Aug 22, 2013, 08:28 AM
RC 4 Life
Thread OP

Servo mounts

Bond the servo mounts in place parallel to the top of the side sheeting and even with the slot in the former.
Aug 22, 2013, 08:31 AM
RC 4 Life
Thread OP

Wing saddle

Place the fuselage on the wing and slide sandpaper rough side up forward and aft in-between them to sand the edge of the fuselage sides for a perfect wing to fuselage fit.

Quick Reply