Aug 09, 2013, 09:19 AM
RC 4 Life
Thread OP
Now you can hinge the ailerons and don't forget to drill the hole for the torque rod. It can be a little loose because the next step is to cut holes on the bottom side of the aileron over the wire , match up the aluminum tubes and fill the holes with glue. Note the use of tape to contain the "glue foam up" inside the aileron.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 09, 2013, 09:25 AM
RC 4 Life
Thread OP

Fuzzy edges

We will have a bunch of drying time while we build the fuselage so to make the wing edges smooth and tough . . . . . Sand the leading edge round and make the last grit you use in the 200 grit range . Apply a coat of wood workers glue to the edges and rub it in . When it is dry, sand and reapply. It shouldn't take more than twice depending on how smooth you want it.
Aug 09, 2013, 04:59 PM
Watt Waster

Turbo Thrush Caricature Build

Nice to see you have another cartoon style airplane coming along. Love 'em caricatured and what you said about a kid magnet is true. On the side line; lead weight is a tad dangerous to work with, so I switched to sand filled ziploc bags years ago. Wish I still had the many pounds of pewter miniatures I could melt into BBs to put into the thicker freezer ziplock bags. I threw them out with the trash when I was cleaning out a storage shed that needed to be taken down.

There are times sand needs to be heavier for a sand bag job (glue job weight), but it is possible to put water with the sand if the ziploc bag doesn't leak. One can also do the green sand mixture, which makes the sand stick into whatever shape you desire and parts can be cast that way in soft metals and other materials. Normally done for one-off parts by those working with metals if they have a broken part to copy. I found this link from a blog about a cartoon RC airplane build due to the influence of the Disney movie "Planes" this is about to start showing.
Latest blog entry: Center of Gravity - Airplanes
Aug 09, 2013, 06:21 PM
RC Adddict
Love the sand in the ziplock bag idea . thanx for the great tip .

Kieth have you tried Foamtac yet ?
Aug 09, 2013, 08:45 PM
Home of "Golf Cart Flying"
I took the whole family to see "Planes" tonight....... what a great show it was!
I got to build a Dusty now
Aug 09, 2013, 09:22 PM
PSALM 14:1
Quote:
Originally Posted by pecanpatch
I took the whole family to see "Planes" tonight....... what a great show it was!
I got to build a Dusty now

My family did as well.

My son wants me to build him an R/C Ripslinger
Aug 10, 2013, 11:52 AM
RC 4 Life
Thread OP
I had to laugh when I heard Dusty’s last name, whoever came up with that got a free lunch that day.
You can bet that somebody is hard at work designing an RC Rip Slinger, very cool looking plane!
Aug 10, 2013, 01:13 PM

Subscribed!

Hello Keith,

Since I saw the Planes trailer last winter I knew that i would have to build one. Been looking for some plans and then I found your thread. Have to say that your model looks GREAT!
What would shipping to Europe, Finland be for your short kit? Or can you sell plans only without any parts. This would help me a lot, otherwise I will have to make up plans myself, and I am not exactly a constructor...

Regards,
Tommy
Aug 12, 2013, 01:56 AM
Watt Waster

Turbo Thrush Build Log - Plans

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomahl
... otherwise I will have to make up plans myself, and I am not exactly a constructor... Regards, Tommy
I know how it can be difficult to draw plans the first time, but ... have you built balsa and tissue covered models in the past? If you did, and construction started with a profile (left, or right side) of the fuselage, adding ribs, stringers, and after the other side was built up, applying the tissue covering, you know the basics. Instead of balsa and tissue, we use thin foam. We also tend to forgo the stringers whenever possible. Keith builds his wings in the same fashion, using strips of foam as if stringers to shape the top thin foam skin. Lots of people have taken to using thin foam instead of balsa and have built just about any aircraft one can find a 3, or 4 view of, or can imagine. There are a lot of Youtube video showing the process from drawing to finished flying RC model.

I tend to start with a 3 view drawing, caricature it a bit (fuselage gets fatter, or just taller), and once the profile is glued together (side view, and top view parts), start gluing on cold rolled pieces of thin foam until it is skinned. Been doing some examples in foam drink cup materials in my blog to show one construction method. More of a thin shell fuselage method to stuff the RC gear and hardware into for the smaller indoor flyers, but will be going bigger soon using fan fold foam (FFF). You should see just how big some of the thin shell RC models can get and are still super lightweight.
Latest blog entry: Center of Gravity - Airplanes
Aug 12, 2013, 05:32 PM
RC 4 Life
Thread OP
Tommy, using just the plans would only get you half way to completion.
The short kit takes care of the compound curves to make it easy . Not using the plastic parts would make the project fairly difficult.
Contact me thru the website and ask for a shipping quote. My wife does my shipping and she will find the best rate and let you know.

Your other option is to look for a ARF Thrush or Pawnee to modify.
Honestly Dusty is closer to a scale model in looks than my thrush is and an ARF version would be one heck of a head start.
Aug 13, 2013, 08:21 AM
RC 4 Life
Thread OP

Fuselage

The hardest part about cutting the fuselage formers was keeping the knife 90 degrees to the building surface, it's not hard at all.

If you have a scroll saw use it. It's much easier and you save hobby knife tips. When you cut the 3mm fuselage side panels, cut them at the same time.
This will ensure that they are identical. Giving the foam sheets a shot of water will keep them together through the capillary action of the water. Before they are separated mark the former locations at the same time for the same reason.

Note that the wing saddle curve has been drawn oversized by 1/16 inch . This is to be sure there is material available for a perfect fit when the wing mates with the fuselage.
Aug 13, 2013, 08:24 AM
RC 4 Life
Thread OP
Please go to post #193 on page14
There has been an easier / better way to bond the plastic to the foam frame.

I started the fuselage assembly by using tape to hold the aft ends of the side sheeting together.
This will keep them true during assembly .
The F-1 former was next. Since it is the firewall, the tape goes from the face of F-1 to the edges of the side sheeting to hold it firmly.
When it comes to applying tape to the side sheeting; try to only stick it to the first 1/4 inch.
Pealing the tape off foam sheeting will leave a mark that will show up later. Work the formers from front to back.
Apply glue to the edges of the formers , spread the fuselage side sheeting, align the formers with the marks and relax the sides.
To hold it in position, trap the former with narrow tape on both sides.

Important: draw a straight line on the table , place the fuselage frame over the line to and make sure the former centerlines are aligned.

Note: there has been a development in the firewall construction.
I have damaged two planes to a cartwheel.
They were gentle enough that it should not have hurt the plane.
When the prop shaft contacts the ground it pushes the motor stick inward.
This caused long cracks from the corners of the mounts and draws the sides inwards.
The models were still intact but has to be dissembled for repair.
So, On the back of F-1 and F-2 add a 3 inch disk, 6mm thick.
This should distribute the force and prevent damage.
Last edited by sparks; Apr 04, 2015 at 11:30 AM. Reason: A.D
Aug 13, 2013, 08:30 AM
RC 4 Life
Thread OP

Aft belly

Place the fuselage on a sheet of 3mm foam and mark the panel using the fuselage as a guide. Some extra is needed.
Apply glue to the edges of the fuselage and formers aft of former F-4. Use your finger to push the applied glue to the inside half of the foams edge .
Place the fuselage on the 3mm panel and apply weights , let it cure and carefully rough trim the panel with a razor and sand away the rest.

In hind sight a straight line drawn on the 3mm foam panel would have helped to make sure the frame straightness was not compromised.
Aug 13, 2013, 08:31 AM
Keith as always your work is simply amazing. Clean and precise. You are a true master.

Mike
Aug 13, 2013, 09:15 AM
Home of "Golf Cart Flying"
Keith,
Is your Crophopper scale to the movie or is it even more Cartoonized?

Quick Reply