Aug 05, 2013, 11:12 PM
Augernaut
I love it!!! I think my H9 Pawnee may get the orange treatment for my 2 year old daughter. She saw your plane when I was browsing and said "Lookit!! it's ahh Aorrpwane."
to remove ads between posts
Aug 06, 2013, 09:34 AM
RC 4 Life
Thread OP
Just be ready , cartoon planes are baby magnets and not all parents watch their kids.
Sort of the point I suppose but if you participate in AMA mall shows keep the "magnet" away from the center of the display. Kids tend to get target fixation and other models will pay the price.
Aug 06, 2013, 09:38 AM
RC 4 Life
Thread OP

Back to the wing

Trim the spars at the wing root with a razor saw or simply block sand the spars and the sheeting flush and 90 degrees to the bottom sheeting.
Raise the wing tips 1 3/4 inch from the work surface and continue sanding to get the dihedral angle.
Aug 06, 2013, 09:42 AM
RC 4 Life
Thread OP
Use small weights to hold the center section down. Fit the spar joiners in-between the wing panel spars and bond them in place.

To fit the spar joiners; cut the width first, slide it in place, mark the point where the bottom of the top sheeting meets the spar joiner on both sides the cut between the marks.

Don't forget the landing gear panels.
After the joiners have dried, sand them to match the bottom of the wing skins.
Aug 06, 2013, 09:44 AM
RC 4 Life
Thread OP
Repeat the steps used to bond the top sheeting panels for the top sheeting of the center section.
Note that fitting the center panel without the tips supported will make the panel slightly wide.
Not a bad thing when you consider that during the bond step, raising the tips will apply clamp pressure .
Aug 06, 2013, 09:57 AM
RC 4 Life
Thread OP
Let me show you something, The L-19 wing did not work out so before I tossed it I piled on weights to see what it can take.
Terrible photo but that is 6 pounds 8 ounces, these little wings are stronger than you would think.
Aug 07, 2013, 08:23 AM
RC 4 Life
Thread OP

ailerons

Locate the aileron hinge line strip in the wing by holding it up to a bright light. Mark the half way point of its width. ( should be one inch ) Cut slots at the ends of the ailerons with a saw. Then while holding a hobby knife at a slight angle toward the trailing edge ( 90 degrees to the wing surface) cut the ailerons free from the wing.
Aug 07, 2013, 08:25 AM
RC 4 Life
Thread OP
See the reason for the fresh blue mark?
That is our easy to see hinge line.
Aug 07, 2013, 08:26 AM
RC 4 Life
Thread OP
Sand an equal angle into the ailerons bottom leading edge. This will allow the aileron to move downward after the hinges are in place. A small amount of sanding will be needed for the strip above the hinge line as well.
sanding tips:
Supporting the aileron while sanding will ensure a straight angle .
marking your intended target will make them the same.
Counting your sanding strokes and paying attention to the force you apply will help.
Do three strokes and check your progress , adjust the angle as needed .
Aug 08, 2013, 04:46 AM
7up
7up
,ɯǝ ʇoƃ ɐʎ ɟı ,ɯǝ ǝʞoɯs
Cool build... subscribed.

-Buk
Aug 08, 2013, 05:29 AM
Home of "Golf Cart Flying"
Keith have you flown the Thrush yet? Looking forward to some video as well.... I love your designs sir....
I have built the P-51, P-40, A7 and currently have a OV10 and F-86 on the shelf waiting....
This Crop Duster may take priority due to the movie coming out.
Thanks for bringin out the Kid in all of us!
Aug 09, 2013, 09:03 AM
RC 4 Life
Thread OP
I've done a few flights at dawn while I've been "teaching" the L-19 to fly.
Then comes the sun, right in the eyes. ( when you are over the tall grass)

The temps in Texas has been 100 plus the last few weeks. It's bad enough that the wind has to be considered but when it is 107 it's really hard to find anyone willing to stand in the field with you.
Aug 09, 2013, 09:07 AM
RC 4 Life
Thread OP
Before you hinge the ailerons
Install the servo by cutting the hole and dropping it in place. Draw lines straight back from the outer control arm holes and another line along the hinge line.
Aug 09, 2013, 09:13 AM
RC 4 Life
Thread OP
Bend music wire (.047) to make the aileron torque rods and don't forget to use a plastic tube bearing.
I used heat shrink plastic over a wire one size larger and let it cool, now the .047 wire has a good fit.

A precise fit between the tube and wire is not necessary, it's primary job is to protect it from the glue used in the next step.
Cut a groove in the wing so the aileron torque assembly can be installed with the wire parallel to the hinge line.
A heated wire will make your groove but the folded sandpaper is used to make adjustments. Align the wire with the hinge line and use epoxy to lock it in place. Light spackle can be used to cover the installation.
Aug 09, 2013, 09:17 AM
RC 4 Life
Thread OP

Connecting the aileron servo to the torque arms.

I like to make my own hardware with aluminum tubing because it's easy and very cheap. I smash the tube then drill a small hole in the flat spot. I sand the steel wire to remove the anti rust coating and put CA adhesive or epoxy in the tube and slide it over the steel. Be sure to let it set up all the way and hold it upside-down to keep it in the tube while it does.

Quick Reply