Jan 16, 2018, 07:13 AM
Very clever Sparky, as usual
to remove ads between posts
Apr 01, 2019, 06:35 AM
bps
bps
I purchased this kit some time ago and finally decided its time to build it. Very nice little design and well thought out. The difficult job is getting the correct building materials. I decided on one of my new stand by's, Dollar Tree foam board at just $1 each. The paper facing peals easily and the wave of the cheap foam is easily removed by running the foam through a set of metal rollers. Also firms up the material and makes it just a bit thinner. I will post some pictures soon.

Also discovered that I can pre-cover some of the parts with adhesive sign vinyl that does a great job providing the base color and a nice finish to the foam. Be interesting to see what the weight difference will be when I compare the finished product.

The rest of the plane I will keep as light as possible. We will see how that goes, if its a to heavy then I hope Sparks still sells the kits!
Apr 01, 2019, 03:30 PM
RC 4 Life
Thread OP

material

actually the model was designed very light.
building it with 6mm only makes it tougher.
I have made three and found that additional weight does not bother the air frame.
Apr 02, 2019, 04:21 AM
bps
bps
Thanks for the information.
Apr 10, 2019, 08:37 AM
bps
bps
I found a plush of Thrush at the office last week. Inspiration!

My plane is making progress and true to my form I just can not leave anything alone. I decided to make some changes to the wing construction and should have the wing completed this week. I do hope I have not ruined a great little plane that is well designed and well thought out. I just can not build anything as designed...a curse I guess!

Forgive me Sparks!!

The wing is Dollar Tree foam board with the paper removed and the foam run though my slip roller machine to flatten it and curve the airfoil into the sheet. Balsa spars and foam ribs.
Apr 16, 2019, 08:17 AM
bps
bps
The wing halves are joined but the ailerons have not yet been cut. Wing weight is 50 grams. Not sure how that compares to others. Can anyone shed any light on stock wing weight? The fuse is under way as well.
Apr 25, 2019, 04:55 AM
bps
bps
After two giant scale airplanes built from 3 view drawings I am enjoying building this little plane. I have ordered the electronics and they should be here before the weekend, I hope. The ailerons will each have their own micro servo along with rudder and elevator servos.

The spinner/prop/prop adapter is giving me fits. I would really like to be able to remove and change props but that solution is evading me. The only prop adapter I have in stock is a collet style so I may have to order a grub screw style. At least that would allow me to remove the prop/spinner assembly in one piece. The replacement would require a new spinner and back plate though. I did manage to mis cut the plastic back plate and one spinner, luckily my kit came with two spinners so I made a new back plate from plywood and that approach will work fine for me.

Another solution might be to go to 1800kv motor a 3 blade prop/spinner combo and stay with 2s for the power system. This solution might not make much sense though, as I am trying to save some weight. I just thought of this while looking at one of my foamies with a small 3 blade prop and nice chrome pop on spinner. Chrome spinner would look classy on this bird, donít ya think?

More later.
Apr 30, 2019, 10:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparks
actually the model was designed very light.
building it with 6mm only makes it tougher.
I have made three and found that additional weight does not bother the air frame.

That’s good to know
I’ve got plenty of 6mm MPF and some Depron but very little 3mm

Would the same be tru of your cartoon fighters? Or is 3mm really needed on those?
Last edited by jonquinn; Apr 30, 2019 at 10:12 AM.
Apr 30, 2019, 03:22 PM
RC 4 Life
Thread OP
The 3mm was used because it was available in quantities.
I did think to do the design with just 6mm but was trying to keep it light weight.
Now that time has passed thicker material would only add to the durability of the model.
Keep in mind that the rib /spars should made 3mm thinner as well as the formers.
I have two of this design and if something happens I'll work with 6mm to see how it goes.

No forgiveness needed, modify your hinney off, this design is about fun ; I'm just glad you could use the parts.
May 04, 2019, 01:44 PM
bps
bps
Minus only the wheels and a paint job 390 grams. I canít wait to see the final weight once covered and painted. 1000 mah 2s and 4 servos on board. Iím starting to get excited about the paint job as were real close to doing that!
May 14, 2019, 08:35 AM
bps
bps
Painting and finishing decals. I chose not to replicate ďDustyĒ exactly but more to capture an idea. Itís been fun and the short kit made it all possible. I found decal material that works well in my inkjet printer and with a light clear coat it is waterproof. Iíll post links to the materials later.
May 14, 2019, 06:59 PM
RC 4 Life
Thread OP
I love this point of a build!
The model is all wrapped with paper and pealing it back is like Christmas.
May 15, 2019, 08:49 AM
bps
bps
Yep. I get to unpac it after work today! Starting to get real excited about finishing it up and getting a number on how much weight I have added with all the mods, covering and paint.
May 15, 2019, 04:05 PM
RC 4 Life
Thread OP
don't worry a bout the weight.
Its top of the easy to fly list.
Given that your mod was on the gear the weight will not matter when landing.
That support bar across the mains might make the grass flip it over though.
Bring cutters with you to the field .
May 16, 2019, 07:18 AM
bps
bps
Almost finished and weighs in at 13.6 ounces without the wheels or battery. Next step is to order those last two parts of the puzzle!

Quick Reply