This thread is privately moderated by TPfingston, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Aug 01, 2013, 03:48 PM
Retired and Lovin' it!
Thread OP
Build Log

Dick's Dream revisited.

I remember this model being published many years ago in RC Modeler magazine. It thought then that it was a neat looking little airplane but I wasn't into micro stuff then (mainly because there wasn't much 'micro' gear back then. Originally it was for single channel magnetic actuator control; I didn't have one, and couldn't see buying one for one airplane. Especially when proportional equipment was much easier to maintain and fly.

After RCM published it, Ace RC kitted it with a set of their foam wings in the kit

A few months ago, I ran across the plans on the internet available for download and I downloaded a set for use 'someday'. The same site has several of the old Ace plans. Well, someday has finally arrived and I have decided to try out the Dick's Dream. As usual, I can't leave well enough alone and so will be doing some modifications. Mainly, I will try to keep the weight down a bit from the original kit design. The first thing that I have done is to build the fuselage out of 1/16 sheet balsa instead of 3/32 sheet. I intend to build the vertical and horizontal stabs as framed up structures using 1/8 square balsa instead of 3/32 sheet. The wing will be framed up using 1/16 sheet ribs and 4 1/8 inch square balsa spars with a 1/4 x 3/8 inch leading edge and a trailing edge of 3/16 x 3/4 balsa sanded to shape. I think that I will built the wing as a two piece with plug-in panels. Since I am not using the plan wing, I have designed the new wing mostly using Profili 2. The new wing will have a NACA 2414 airfoil at the root progressing to a Clark Y airfoil at the tip.

OH, also, it will be a taildragger iinstead of have tricycle gear.

A few pix to follow:

Tony
Last edited by TPfingston; Aug 08, 2013 at 09:04 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 08, 2013, 09:13 AM
Retired and Lovin' it!
Thread OP
Moving slowly along. The wings are pretty well framed up. Have some carving and sanding to do on the leading and trailing edges. Wing is a two piece plug in design with aluminum tube sockets built into the wings and heavy walled 3mm carbon fiber tube sub spars in the firstr three wing ribs. Wings have four 1/8 inch square spars. Will cut out ailerons after the wings are built.

Quick Reply