Easy build giant warbirds and TBD Devastator!! - Page 5 - RC Groups
Jan 09, 2014, 12:44 PM
low tech high tech
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenseaships
Wow! Wish I had a B-29 vet in my family. To be able to navigate an airplane for 15 hours over nothing but ocean requires just about the best navigators who ever flew!
He's gone now, hope it's okay to say something about him here, since I never have, and this reminds me of him. He didn't talk much about it, but once showed me a picture of a B-29 burning. His, after a crash landing. They were carrying fire bombs at night and were hit by a night fighter, and the bombay ignited, he dropped everything, they got the fire out, and made it back to base. In the crash the nav equipment all smashed back through the bulkhead where he was, except his seat pivoted off and threw him out of the way. Anyway seeing the pic of it in the air made me think of that. I was lucky to have him for a parent.
Thanks.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 09, 2014, 10:51 PM
Registered Airplane Offender
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtdiy
He's gone now, hope it's okay to say something about him here, since I never have, and this reminds me of him. He didn't talk much about it, but once showed me a picture of a B-29 burning. His, after a crash landing. They were carrying fire bombs at night and were hit by a night fighter, and the bombay ignited, he dropped everything, they got the fire out, and made it back to base. In the crash the nav equipment all smashed back through the bulkhead where he was, except his seat pivoted off and threw him out of the way. Anyway seeing the pic of it in the air made me think of that. I was lucky to have him for a parent.
Thanks.
B-29 Crash Landing (0 min 43 sec)

I'll think of him next time I watch those B-29s sliding off the runway on Iwo and bursting into flames. Is there any chance he mentioned his Bomb Wing, squadron, etc.? I'm a sucker for looking up tail insignia to put a tail pattern to the story.

There's a really cool 108-inch B-29 build thread going on over in giants right now
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=2046560
Jan 10, 2014, 01:24 AM
Perhaps I'm going to need a new thread...
Jan 10, 2014, 11:02 AM
low tech high tech
Quote:
I'll think of him next time I watch those B-29s sliding off the runway on Iwo and bursting into flames. Is there any chance he mentioned his Bomb Wing, squadron, etc.? I'm a sucker for looking up tail insignia to put a tail pattern to the story.
No he never did, he didn't actually like to talk about it. All I remember is B-29 and Saipan.
Jan 18, 2014, 09:01 AM
A trailer was posted for 'The Mighty Eighth'. This is a follow-up to 'Band of Brothers,' and 'Pacific':

The Mighty Eighth - Exclusive Teaser Footage (HD) JoBlo.com (3 min 20 sec)
Jan 18, 2014, 10:17 PM
low tech high tech
Piloting a B-29:

FIFI's Flight to Oshkosh: Behind the Scenes (7 min 50 sec)
Jan 19, 2014, 12:03 AM
Awesome thread, clever design, great subjects. Sub'ed.
Jan 22, 2014, 08:29 AM
Quote:
Perhaps I'm going to need a new thread...
any updates?
I really want to put together a big b29 this year.
Jan 25, 2014, 08:14 PM

Bummer

Sorry to see the B-29 go down. Hope you can figure out what caused it. The poor people up north are going to freeze to death because of all the foam insulation you are using on your latest B-29. Sorry we didn't get to talk!! Next time!!

Randy
Jan 28, 2014, 11:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meatball
Sorry to see the B-29 go down. Hope you can figure out what caused it. The poor people up north are going to freeze to death because of all the foam insulation you are using on your latest B-29. Sorry we didn't get to talk!! Next time!!

Randy
RANDY!! I wanted to talk to you! Saturday was crazy! First I showed up late and the flightline was already crowded. Second, my radio battery was DEAD so I had to go around re-binding and reprogramming all the birds (including the B-17D and B-29) to DX6i.

I barely had time to get anything in the air before heli time at 10am.

Then, as you say.... THE CRASH.

For the rest of you, here's the story....

I took both B-17s and the B-29 out to the Arizona Electric Festival last Thursday-Sunday. Flew the wings off the B-29 on Thursday. Friday was too windy to chance it.

On Saturday, around 11:30, I took to the air in the Kee Bird for her first flight of the day. About midway through the flight, the radio signed off and never returned. She entered a slight right bank increasing to a 45-75 degree dive until she disappeared below the terrain. I literally felt dizzy as I watched her go in.

Sadly, there was nothing left to salvage. I could have fit her remains into a grocery bag.

At the scene, it didn't take long to find the reason. It is ENTIRELY MY FAULT and I blame myself fully. I had not recharged the RX pack since Wednesday night. The B-29 is especially demanding on her RX pack with all those servos and retracts. If I had only taken the 30 minutes or so to recharge that pack, I wouldn't be building a new one right now.

She had a glorious run of it on Thursday and I miss her already. But this crash happened because I don't fly that often anymore and I forgot how often I need to charge that pack!

Mike Heer of RCGroups got some video I look forward to seeing later this week. I'll post it here when I get it. It turned out to be the first and last flight video of that bird.

As I said I have started the new one (actually, I have returned to working on my full-round fuselage B-29 you see earlier in this thread, but I'm still having to build a new wing), and I'll get to that in a bit. First, some Festival pics of the life and death of the B-29 Kee Bird.
Jan 28, 2014, 11:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4bangen
any updates?
I really want to put together a big b29 this year.
On the 36? There is now a thread.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...0#post27340177

I'm trying to be realistic about when she will fly. I have a large block of time to do some flying in May and I am shooting for that to maiden the B-36.

The new B-29 will probably be ready to fly much earlier than that.
Jan 29, 2014, 11:28 AM
low tech high tech
Looked great. Sorry to hear about the crash. I think everybody has made a mistake or two flying somewhere down the line. I'm a little beyond the one or two stage, myself.

But you know, a totalled crash is always an opportunity to build something new, and better. You kind of hope it will be a few hundred flights after the build, but with big birds like this and a lot of good luck (and good sense), you'd eventually have to pack up your build table, tools and supplies and put them in storage. And what fun would that be?
Jan 29, 2014, 11:30 PM

Do Over

The Kee Bird was such a good flyer I think you should do another one. You have all the expensive stuff like retracts, motors and escs so why not???

Randy

Just a suggestion
Jan 31, 2014, 01:21 AM
Indeed. Remember that full-round fuselage B-29 I started so many months ago? (post #47 in this thread) Well, she's been getting a lot of attention this week.

She's gone from just a fuselage and pattern for a vertical tail to suddenly having her entire tail assembly installed, wings assembled, engine nacelles carved, sanded and test fit. If I didn't have a job and kids, I could probably have gotten her in the air this weekend!

The new vertical tail is two-sheets thick instead of one, and the carbon fiber rod is mounted internally this time, right under the rudder hinge.

The wing is basically a carbon copy of the Kee Bird's wing.

Engine nacelles are also the same approach. Just take 2 panels of 2-inch thick rigid foam and belt sand them 'till they look right!

Quick Reply