Easy build giant warbirds and TBD Devastator!! - Page 4 - RC Groups
Oct 02, 2013, 02:35 PM

Awsome

The B-29 looks GREAT!!!! Hope she flys as good as she looks. Family Always comes first. Hope to see the birds sometime, maybe at the AZ electric fly in January.

R
to remove ads between posts
Oct 03, 2013, 01:07 AM
Registered Airplane Offender
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meatball
The B-29 looks GREAT!!!! Hope she flys as good as she looks. Family Always comes first. Hope to see the birds sometime, maybe at the AZ electric fly in January.

R
You bet! Although the B-29 you're probably gonna be seeing is the full round fuselage one.
Oct 04, 2013, 05:13 PM
Lookin GOOD!!!
Oct 05, 2013, 03:30 AM
Crazy, not stupid
One word - AWE-SOME.

Any chance of sharing the templates you used?
Oct 07, 2013, 01:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadkingbilly
One word - AWE-SOME.

Any chance of sharing the templates you used?
Sure, but they're just enlargements of 3 views I got off the internet. Here are the patterns for the B-29. Top-down for the fuselage doesn't really apply in this case LOL.

These drawings I'm providing are in 1cm= 1 inch scale, but I did the actual enlargements in full size. 66 inches long for the fuselage, 48 inches for each wing.
Oct 19, 2013, 12:50 AM

Update?

How about an update on how the B-17s and B-29 are doing!!

Randy
Oct 19, 2013, 01:20 AM
Quote:
How about an update on how the B-17s and B-29 are doing!!

Randy
The B-17s are fine with nothing major to report.

The B-29 Kee Bird was out on the runway last week for her maiden. All I got was a couple of failed takeoff rolls.

The first one was pitiful. More like a takeoff brisk walk than a takeoff run. Brought her back in to discover that in my tinkering I had REVERSED one of the motors' polarity! So I was getting partial thrust reverse!

The second attempt was better, but still not nearly enough to get her in the air as fast as I knew she should have. As I brought her back in I discovered the same motor didn't even want to turn!

So the #2 motor was bad. I have since swapped the motor and it looks fine, but haven't had a chance to get to the flying field. MAYBE Sunday. I wish/hope. Will keep you updated if we have a bird in the air!
Dec 27, 2013, 12:49 AM
Wow! Still haven't maidened this B-29. Starting to look like we've isolated the problem to the ESC (switched motors but to no avail). Now I'm hoping to get her into the air. She's on my short list for the Arizona Electric Festival in late January, so I better get her up there!

But I had this neat and simple idea to turn the flat-sided box fuselage into a curved, rounded fuselage EASILY! I just cut panels out of 1.5 inch foam and sanded them into a curve. Then glued them onto the flat sides, created a new cockpit area and belt sanded the whole thing! Painted and almost ready to go after only a few hours of work. Wish I had thought of this before! I'm suddenly quite excited about the way she looks.

I just hope she can get in the air already!
Dec 27, 2013, 01:16 AM
Yes! That did it.
Dec 27, 2013, 09:31 AM
I plan to get the orange tail and cockpit windows painted today.
Jan 08, 2014, 02:12 AM
JANUARY 5TH, 2014.

That is the day that my 96-inch B-29 Kee Bird FINALLY left the ground on her own power.

This one was a bit more of a nail biter than I expected. I figured if she's about the same weight as the B-17 on the same setup, she must handle the same. Not so. First, she must be heavier since I had to hold full throttle all the way through the first turn. Turns were much wider than I expected and I need to give myself more room in the future to avoid crossing the deadline.

I might consider upgrading to 4X Park 480s sometime in the next year. Not critical. Once on step, she flew OK on 2/3 throttle (I like 1/2 throttle on my birds). Higher C-rating lipos (I was using 35C) may also help.

The landing gear retracts were uneventful, which is a relief. When I was programming her on the new radio 2 days before, they were doing weird things. Only problem was that on taxi back, the right main strut turned 20 degrees or so and had to be manually reset before I could taxi any further. Something will have to be tightened I guess.

I really liked the landing flair and touchdown. They were just too far down the runway! I wish I knew how close I came to going into the dirt before I turned her around. I just need to learn how to fly this thing (in other words how far out to plan my turns and approaches).

All things said and done, I'm happy with the bird and will enjoy bringing her out for the Arizona Electric Festival!

THE KEE BIRD LIVES AGAIN!
Jan 08, 2014, 04:16 AM
All can fly...Launch stronger!
She looks really nice in the air!
Jan 08, 2014, 06:59 PM

Awesome

Looking forward to meeting you at the AZ electric festival and seeing your awesome B-17 and 29..

Randy
Jan 08, 2014, 10:04 PM
low tech high tech
Great job and photos! It's something to see it in flight like that for me.
My stepfather was a B-29 navigator out of Saipan.
Jan 08, 2014, 11:26 PM
Thanks, Ttersu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtdiy
Great job and photos! It's something to see it in flight like that for me.
My stepfather was a B-29 navigator out of Saipan.
Wow! Wish I had a B-29 vet in my family. To be able to navigate an airplane for 15 hours over nothing but ocean requires just about the best navigators who ever flew!

Quote:
Looking forward to meeting you at the AZ electric festival and seeing your awesome B-17 and 29..

Randy
Look for the big white tail of the Spruce Goose! See you there!

Quick Reply