Easy build giant warbirds and TBD Devastator!! - Page 3 - RC Groups
Aug 08, 2013, 11:06 PM
Sick of airplanes
Anyone here ever seen the movie "Riders of the Storm" with Dennis Hopper?

'cause I think I'm gonna build a box profile fuselage of that B-29 next.

Riders of the Storm 1 of 9 (10 min 0 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Aug 09, 2013, 08:22 PM
Sick of airplanes
Back to the B-17. Got the main landing gear figured out today and installed. I really happy with the way it looks.

For some reason, I just think the B-17 looks good with the gear down while the B-29 does not. Maybe it's the ball turret. Certainly spoils the lines of the plane when the gear is up while the B-29 is so clean and smooth.
Aug 09, 2013, 11:39 PM
Never Fast Enough
Looking Good
Aug 17, 2013, 03:53 PM
Sick of airplanes
Been on a break while I finished up another project, but got the wings finally painted yesterday and applied the decals.

I regret to say that the call letter decals turned out to be way too big and need to be stripped, the areas repainted and new decals applied. Also, I failed to remember that while the waist gun positions are STAGGERED on the -G model, they are straight across on the -F model. So I ran into trouble on the right side of the plane not having enough room for both the G and the N ahead of the waist gun.

So it's gonna require a bit more work.

Nonetheless, I thought I'd let you guys have an updated look at her. Still going!
Aug 18, 2013, 11:10 AM
both planes look awesome.. too big for my department but some day I will try one of this for sure...
about landing gear, I tested a one servo tricycle system with success.. more info on this thread
I think it can be adapted with easily to your B-29,
Aug 18, 2013, 05:55 PM
Sick of airplanes
HOLY COW! I can't remember the last time I saw such a clearly descriptive picture! Thanks! The labels help alot.
Aug 20, 2013, 11:15 PM
Sick of airplanes
Got some major work done on the B-17D today!

Went from completely unpainted to having all windows and rigid foam elements installed and painted. This includes the teardrop-shaped bubble above the cockpit, nose cone, and bath tub turret.

Suddenly, all she needs is some decals, servos, battery hatch and RX. Then she too is ready to go!
Aug 20, 2013, 11:16 PM
Sick of airplanes
This picture perfectly illustrates my plan for having one wing for multiple B-17 models.
Aug 22, 2013, 10:37 AM
cool idea.
Aug 27, 2013, 09:02 PM
Sick of airplanes
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4bangen
cool idea.
Thanks. Not much going on as I prepare for a trip to Japan next week, but the B-17s are both just programming away from flying. I will get the chance to work on the B-29 Kee Bird tonight. She's just about ready for her retracts.

Gonna be busy flying in late September.
Sep 15, 2013, 01:00 AM
Sick of airplanes
Woohoo! Hey guys, remember this build?

Well, the first one finally took flight this morning! Luscious Lady/Memphis Belle made her maiden flight.

Had an ESC short fuse earlier this week and smoked the house up Was not expecting that!

Got a new ESC in, replaced some wires (thanks, Pat!) and had her programmed last night. Winds were rough this morning and I knew with her light weight and huge wing that she'd have trouble in the turns and landing.

So much spare power on this thing, she has a lot of ability to cut through the wind. Just gotta keep that power on in the turns!

Unfortunately, she was born with glass ankles. The landing gear which felt so rigid and strong broke like glass on a landing that really wasn't that rough.

I have already repaired it with some added plywood to the underside strut areas.

For now, please enjoy some pictures and the official maiden flight video!

My 8-Foot B-17 Maiden! (4 min 47 sec)
Sep 17, 2013, 06:31 AM
Crazy, not stupid
Ouch. Good to see how well she flies as well as easy to repair. Hope to see another video with a better ending

As for light weight, perhaps you could add some lead strips on the CoG in stronger winds? Plenty of power on her!
Sep 18, 2013, 10:30 AM
Sick of airplanes
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadkingbilly
Ouch. Good to see how well she flies as well as easy to repair. Hope to see another video with a better ending

As for light weight, perhaps you could add some lead strips on the CoG in stronger winds? Plenty of power on her!
Thanks! Yes, she's already repaired and ready for flying again this weekend. I also plan on getting the B-17D into the air this weekend as well.

There might also be a chance of getting the B-29 in the air by Sunday. Stay tuned!
Sep 28, 2013, 03:57 PM

Lookin GOOD

Sorry you missed our Fun Fly. Was just a teeny bit windy but we still had FUN. You are welcome to come up to Prescott/Chino Valley and fly with us anytime. It is always 20 degrees cooler than Phx.. and I bet the B-17s will like flying at altitude!!

Randy
Oct 02, 2013, 01:24 AM
Sick of airplanes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meatball
Sorry you missed our Fun Fly. Was just a teeny bit windy but we still had FUN. You are welcome to come up to Prescott/Chino Valley and fly with us anytime. It is always 20 degrees cooler than Phx.. and I bet the B-17s will like flying at altitude!!

Randy
THANKS Randy, but it wasn't just about the wind. Frankly I didn't even know it was going to be so windy up there that weekend. It had more to do with the wife and kids returning from Japan and seriously needing to clean the house!

As for the Kee Bird B-29, she her retracts are INSTALLED AND FUNCTIONING! Her taxi trials have been run and she is READY TO FLY this weekend!

Here is a video of the first taxi test conducted on an EXTREMELY windy day! Come to think of it, I think this was the Sunday of the Prescott fun fly! R/C flying was no better down here!

My B-29 "Kee Bird" Taxi Test! (0 min 50 sec)

Quick Reply