Easy build giant warbirds and TBD Devastator!! - Page 2 - RC Groups
Aug 01, 2013, 07:29 PM
RMS
RMS
I love the simplicity of that B-17. That will look great in the air!!!
to remove ads between posts
Aug 01, 2013, 10:01 PM
Sick of airplanes
Thanks, RMS! Wait till you see her painted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdahlhaus
A B-17 as nice as this will need retracts. Here's some inspiration - none are my design and most are from other places here on RC Groups.
Ok, if I choose to retrofit after the maiden? I want to see how well she does on those 4 450 outrunners.

It's not only the B-17 wing which will open up diverse possibilities in terms of replacement fuselages!

With a B-29 wing, just THINK of the possibilities all using the same wing! One wing could allow me to have all these airframes...

Considering that the vast majority of money is in the wings, it would be pretty darn easy! The only catch is that all the other fuselages will have black wing bottoms.
Last edited by greenseaships; Aug 01, 2013 at 10:08 PM.
Aug 02, 2013, 01:57 AM
Sick of airplanes
Quote:
Originally Posted by SNice
Awesome project!!! Subscribed! Very interested in your wing construction - will you be adding any washout to the tips? Also very interested in this style of model as I've got a 60" A-26 Invader (box fuse) that I need to finish up! Pretty cool as they are about the same scale - I was planning on using 450 size motors too!

Looking forward to your progress! Perhaps we could get a multi-engine boxfuse thread going!
The A-26 is another GREAT idea!

I call dibs on the Boeing 247!
Aug 02, 2013, 10:33 PM
Sick of airplanes
I'll be getting the wings back this weekend as I'm having Crxmanpat install the motors and ESCs. He's my engineer on staff LOL. For now, here are some pics of the painted fuselage. It really makes a huge difference!
Aug 02, 2013, 11:04 PM
The paint and the windows bring it to life.

I found the simple B-25 from earlier:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...23&postcount=1
Last edited by kdahlhaus; Aug 02, 2013 at 11:14 PM.
Aug 03, 2013, 08:55 AM
old foamie
I have to agree, the paint changes a interesting shape into a impressive profile , now to see all the pieces together for the wow effect. Great job so far, I hope this style of build gets done more.
Aug 05, 2013, 09:58 AM
I recently completed the "twins cargo plane". Very similar construction and a heck of a lot of fun to fly. I strongly recommend using differential thrust on the motors (I use a $3 V Tail mixer). It works fantastically. The nose wheel free castors with rubber bands to return to straight ahead. I can steer perfectly on the ground and slips are a breeze without any rudder surface.
Aug 05, 2013, 04:36 PM
Crazy, not stupid
Nice work, hope to see a maiden video!
Aug 05, 2013, 11:06 PM
Sick of airplanes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poporbit
I recently completed the "twins cargo plane". Very similar construction and a heck of a lot of fun to fly. I strongly recommend using differential thrust on the motors (I use a $3 V Tail mixer). It works fantastically. The nose wheel free castors with rubber bands to return to straight ahead. I can steer perfectly on the ground and slips are a breeze without any rudder surface.
Cool! Actually, I've already gone the steerable tail wheel route for the '17. I remember browsing that thread a year or 2 ago and those things were actually pretty cool looking! I've never seen a 'V tail mixer'. What exactly is that? I'm not sure I'm comfortable with my throttles differing with my rudder movements in flight on a bird this big.

There will definitely be video of the maiden, so don't worry, KingBilly!

As for the B-17 itself, let me introduce you all to the "Luscious Belle"! The most schizophrenic airplane in my fleet!

She's actually to be dressed up as 2 different B-17s, taking advantage of her flat-sided nature.

On one side, well... my club doesn't have a Memphis Belle model, and I personally feel every AMA club in the country should have at least one!

As for the starboard side of the aircraft, I have long been a huge fan of the book "Half a Wing, 3 Engines and a Prayer". One of the best B-17 crew bios I have ever come across. It follows the crew of Robert Hullar on their 25-mission tour of the ETO in the legendary 303rd Bomb Group in Molesworth.

I was so attached to this crew that I elected to model the right side of my aircraft after "Luscious Lady", an aircraft in which Hullar's crew flew 7 of their missions including both infamous trips to Schweinfurt.
Aug 06, 2013, 10:29 PM
Sick of airplanes

The B-29

Turning my attention to the aforementioned B-29 Superfortress. An aircraft which admittedly does not lend itself to the box profile approach, but I have been needing a B-29 for the LONGEST time.

Together with the Hellcat, it's one of my favorite 2 airplanes of all time!

Working on this airplane has been a terrific and nostalgic 'trip home' for me. You see my entire passion for R/C airplanes began when I saw that heartbreaking NOVA episode on the B-29 'Frozen In Time'. That was back around 1996/1997.

Everything was gas in those days. No such thing as electric as we now know it. I soon bought a Guillow's balsa B-29 kit with intentions to convert it to R/C. But first I had to learn to fly! Picked away at it, even getting my Hangar 9 high-wing trainer built.

Never flew it.

Drifted off to other things before returning to the hobby in '07. The rest is history.

Now I find myself literally back where it all started. Finally coming full circle back to my first love, the B-29.

Again the wing span is 96 inches. Length 67 inches. Again using 4 Park 450 outrunner motors. This time I am planning retracts right from the start!

Because the '29s fuselage is so opposed to the flat profile nature, I am actually simultaneously building TWO B-29 fuselages. First, the box profile, and soon after it flies, the full-fuselage B-29 will be ready.

For only one wing, I will end up having 3 or 4 different airplanes. For this reason, while the first B-29 has a box profile fuselage, the engine nacelles are full round and carved from solid rigid foam.

And her name.... Kee Bird.

Barrett
Aug 07, 2013, 08:26 AM
old foamie
It's gonna look like another winner to me, my question is do you have time to test fly all these, or are you taking volunteers?
Aug 07, 2013, 09:59 PM
Sick of airplanes
Quote:
Originally Posted by old foamie
It's gonna look like another winner to me, my question is do you have time to test fly all these, or are you taking volunteers?
My policy regarding maiden flights is....

When the ---- hits the fan, I'd rather be mad at myself.
Aug 07, 2013, 10:11 PM
Sick of airplanes

Kee Bird progress

Slowly, this thing has shed some of its corny profile- cheapness as things come together and get sanded. Still, she needs paint to really trick the eye.
Aug 08, 2013, 04:05 AM
Crazy, not stupid
Awsome. Just, awsome.

Quick Reply