Aug 01, 2013, 03:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFatCat
No sliders? That is a big miss. I want sliders over the dual antennas.
i wondered where the 9th ch was

Last edited by ChuckTseeker; Aug 01, 2013 at 03:57 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 01, 2013, 03:49 AM
Ground Pounder
Looks sweet. Now I have to get rid of my dx8.
Aug 01, 2013, 03:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gharddog03
Looks sweet. Now I have to get rid of my dx8.
haha get in quick i have a feeling there is going to be a glut of DX8's on the market soon haha

cheers chuck
Aug 01, 2013, 04:25 AM
Thread OP
A buddy wants my DX8 for his Blades
Aug 01, 2013, 07:19 AM
Suspended Account
I see they left the SD card slot wide open and unprotected. Again.
Aug 01, 2013, 07:34 AM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mukenukem

By the way, you need no special hardware for speech. Just a port which can be used as D/A. Probably all ports can be reprogrammed to D/A. Just a way to get the signal to your ears.
And have to use ear buds or something? No thanks. And, yes, you do need hardware. An audio processor of some sort that can handle more than the simple beeps and boops of the current DX18. Unless they installed that already for future expansion, but I highly doubt it.

Looks like you'll have to use ear buds with the DX9, too. Just saw the audio port (note that it's separate and not just "any port") on the back.
Aug 01, 2013, 07:41 AM
Surface, Air & Water Rc Toys..
Quote:
Originally Posted by hootenany
I see they left the SD card slot wide open and unprotected. Again.
I'm glad, didn't really like where it is on my 18. Having to pop open the battery door all the time to access it when you do as much as I do when helping others was getting a bit annoying.

Feels like my batt door isn't snapping in place like it used too.
Aug 01, 2013, 07:43 AM
Surface, Air & Water Rc Toys..
Quote:
... Looks like you'll have to use ear buds with the DX9, too. Just saw the audio port (note that it's separate and not just "any port") on the back.
did you also notice the big speaker port on the right of the faceplate? Don't think ear buds will be a must but rather an option.
Aug 01, 2013, 07:47 AM
Yea sliders! Interesting spot for them though. Life is good.
Aug 01, 2013, 07:51 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
And have to use ear buds or something? No thanks. And, yes, you do need hardware. An audio processor of some sort that can handle more than the simple beeps and boops of the current DX18. Unless they installed that already for future expansion, but I highly doubt it.

Looks like you'll have to use ear buds with the DX9, too. Just saw the audio port (note that it's separate and not just "any port") on the back.
I think the grill on the front is also used for the speech.
Also, the processor is quite capable af playing samples. They probably do no fancy speech synthesis, just playing samples in the right order. You don't need HiFi. I played samples with my Commodore 64 centuries ago
You can play samples with a cheapo atmel MCU. No rocket science

Also, I prefer the SD slot accessible, especially if you do some telemetry logging.
Aug 01, 2013, 07:59 AM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mukenukem
I played samples with my Commodore 64 centuries ago
So did I. Had a VIC-20, too. But, remember, the C-64 came with the dedicated 6581/8580 SID (sound interface device) chip, which was excellent for what was available then. I don't see the DX18 having anything like that, but it would be cool if it did.

Just saw that the DX9 holds 250 models. A bit overkill, especially with SD capability, but, still. Wow.
Aug 01, 2013, 08:02 AM
Side access for the SD card is fine, just need hinged cover to keep junk out of it.

Such a clever place to stick the sliders. Lets hope it works well there.
Aug 01, 2013, 08:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFatCat
Side access for the SD card is fine, just need hinged cover to keep junk out of it.

Such a clever place to stick the sliders. Lets hope it works well there.
Agree and agree - an interesting spot for the sliders for sure. It may actually be a better location than side....

Hitec does a similar arrangement IIRC.

Edit - yep they do...pics

Mike
Aug 01, 2013, 08:07 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
So did I. Had a VIC-20, too. But, remember, the C-64 came with the dedicated 6581/8580 SID (sound interface device) chip, which was excellent for what was available then. I don't see the DX18 having anything like that, but it would be cool if it did.

Just saw that the DX9 holds 250 models. A bit overkill, especially with SD capability, but, still. Wow.
For playing samples, you only need a D/A converter. With the SID you only used the 4-bit volume register. You can do it even with a single bit output.

Model memories in the main memory makes sense. Everytime you import a model, you have to rebind, no-go for me.
Aug 01, 2013, 08:16 AM
Suspended Account
Looks like they priced it very nicely. Only $50 more than the DX8 (TX only) from Horizon. I figured they'd stick it in at the $500-$600 mark since there's nothing price-wise in between the $350 DX8 and $800 DX18. The DX10t is $1100.

Quick Reply