Aug 25, 2019, 12:25 PM
Multi-Platform Pilot
There's a lot of noise about this being about nitro or gas.

The way most of us setup nitro or gas is a reliable idle with the throttle trim centered, then the carb closed completely at full down throttle, full low trim. Throttle cut makes that handy but you can't just say its -130 for IC because you don't want the servo straining so if you're going to use the throttle cut as an IC engine kill it needs to be carefully set to fully closed without over driving the servo.

Most of us that fly gas use optical kill anyways, and that just goes on an aux channel set to 100/100
to remove ads between posts
Aug 25, 2019, 01:54 PM
BMFA 190658
With regards to Gas engines,
Can you use the Ignition turning Off to cut the engine?

Would be a very easy way to setup failsafe.
Aug 25, 2019, 02:21 PM
Multi-Platform Pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentPilot
With regards to Gas engines,
Can you use the Ignition turning Off to cut the engine?

Would be a very easy way to setup failsafe.
Most of the time we use a device called an optical kill which is a transmitter activated switch that shuts off the ignition. Most of us don't trust mechanical shutoffs, servos die, linkage screws vibrate etc. They all work most of the time but an optical kill is pretty bullet proof.
Aug 25, 2019, 03:10 PM
No bounce, No play.
Failsafe:

Opto Kill and Throttle Closed.

Belts and suspenders.
Aug 25, 2019, 05:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mejmea
I think you may be correct in that there is a lot of legacy/inertia in what's done (not uncommon in many products, right?)

Another example is the fact that when you do cross trims the display doesnt change to reflect that fact. I remember Andy saying that was because the original programming protocol was dictated by someone who felt that's how it should be, and it's just stayed the same ever since. That seems backwards/confusing to me but at the same time a manufacturer who is "invested" in a particular path has to balance multiple factors in making such changes. Frustrating at times for all involved I'm sure....
It was tested both ways. The majority found this way to be more intuitive.

Andy
Aug 25, 2019, 09:23 PM
Always trying to learn
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz
It was tested both ways. The majority found this way to be more intuitive.

Andy

Ok. I didn't know that and maybe I'm the one who's brain is backwards. I was just remembering our prior discussion on this point from about 2 years ago in this thread when you mentioned that it was this way because the UI guy who'd been doing it forever wanted it this way.
Last edited by mejmea; Aug 25, 2019 at 09:45 PM. Reason: Forgot to include links
Aug 26, 2019, 01:18 AM
Don't hate bro
Quote:
Ok. I didn't know that and maybe I'm the one who's brain is backwards. I was just remembering our prior discussion on this point from about 2 years ago in this thread when you mentioned that it was this way because the UI guy who'd been doing it forever wanted it this way.
All I can say is that you have an incredible memory! I can't remember conversations from yesterday, let alone 2 years ago
Aug 26, 2019, 05:52 AM
Always trying to learn
Quote:
Originally Posted by ooOoo
All I can say is that you have an incredible memory! I can't remember conversations from yesterday, let alone 2 years ago
Ha, thank you and I wish that were true. Half the time I can't remember why I walked into the room these days.
For some reason this just happened to still be rattling around up there.
Aug 26, 2019, 05:57 AM
Blue Skies
Having another SETUP menu selection for IC or ELECTRIC, with different TRAVEL defaults, would certainly make things safer for all of us. I would think only memory space and programming time/priority might prevent it from being incorporated.
Don
Aug 26, 2019, 07:55 AM
Quote:
Ok. I didn't know that and maybe I'm the one who's brain is backwards. ...
Your brain is on straight.

I prefer the other way. I had it coded that way originally, because I was using cross trims for some time before it was released. When I exposed it, then it went up for debate.

The guy who makes the final UI calls preferred the way it is now. He "won" because he had a more people thinking like him than thought like me.

Funny thing, though, I don't think any of those guys actually USE cross trims - I do. A couple hadn't even heard the term before and were confused as to the purpose.

There's a configuration flag to select which way it goes, but it's set at compile time not run time, so you can't play with it.

It happens all the time. In many places in the system for UI features like this you can find it coded both ways, since we need that for comparison purposes. I don't delete code very often, so there's a lot of history in the radios in case things change in the future.

I've gotten to the point where I don't even look at the trim display any more while crossed because it confuses me the way they are. I trim the plane, then set it to standard trims, and then it makes sense again. I suggest you do the same, because in all likelihood it's going to stay this way forever.

Andy
Aug 26, 2019, 08:19 AM
Always trying to learn
Quote:
Andy
Lol, that might bring the total number of people who think that to 2....

Quote:
I've gotten to the point where I don't even look at the trim display any more while crossed because it confuses me the way they are. I trim the plane, then set it to standard trims, and then it makes sense again. I suggest you do the same, because in all likelihood it's going to stay this way forever.

Andy
Good suggestion, thanks!
Aug 26, 2019, 08:50 AM
Flying R/C since 1964
Quote:

I prefer the other way. I had it coded that way originally, because I was using cross trims for some time before it was released. When I exposed it, then it went up for debate.

The guy who makes the final UI calls preferred the way it is now. He "won" because he had a more people thinking like him than thought like me.

Funny thing, though, I don't think any of those guys actually USE cross trims - I do. A couple hadn't even heard the term before and were confused as to the purpose.

There's a configuration flag to select which way it goes, but it's set at compile time not run time, so you can't play with it.

It happens all the time. In many places in the system for UI features like this you can find it coded both ways, since we need that for comparison purposes. I don't delete code very often, so there's a lot of history in the radios in case things change in the future.

Andy
All my recent planes have been set up with crossed trims but I left the old ones the way they were (they are all trimmed out anyway so I hardly ever need to touch the trims). The lovely Fiona warns me when starting up if the plane has crossed trims.
Aug 26, 2019, 09:11 AM
One might consider a "hidden" ignition switch. I use the hidden ignition switch from Booma RC. I have it assigned to an AUX channel controlled by an assigned switch. Simple switch-on and switch-off kill.

Jim
Aug 26, 2019, 09:26 AM
Multi-Platform Pilot
Actually the best bet on the market is the Tech Aero IBEC

Runs the ignition power, has a configurable regulator, and acts as a transmitter activated optical kill.
Aug 27, 2019, 12:45 PM
DS will change your life
Hi Andy
Me and a guy from my rc club have 2 x DX9 that just have been at the German repair shop and got new motherboard , and now when they are on altimeter/variometer telemetry it only say the altitude as like 50, but no Meter or feet after that, and there is no sound on the variometer.

(And we have made the auto config and are set as on my new DX8 that work)

2.01 version on both DX9

What can be the problem ?

Cheers
Soren
Last edited by SpeedsterDEN; Aug 27, 2019 at 01:08 PM.

Quick Reply