Aug 14, 2019, 10:31 AM

Flap Mixing (flaperons) Help Needed on DX6E

I need help mixing flaperons. This is on an AR636A receiver with Right A in port 2 and Left A in port 6, on a conscendo advanced

I set the wing type to Flaperons.

When I set flap position to a negative number, the right aileron goes down, and the left goes up. I would want both to go down.

Is there a way to mix that so both go in the same direction? Could that be explained easily to me? (Still a noob to all this.)

Also, I heard that there is a peculiarity where sometimes if you apply a change on one aileron, the other aileron will exact opposite, but if you apply the same change to the second aileron, the first aileron will act in unison.

Here is a theoretical example of what I heard:

Apply right aileron down, left aileron goes up instead.
Apply left aileron down, right aileron goes down in unison.

Is that correct?

Thanks in advance.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 14, 2019, 10:47 AM
The Ground is The Limit™
If the output of the mix goes to the left (aileron or flap) then using "Back Mixing" the inverted signal is sent to the right (aileron or flap).

If the output of the mix goes to the right (aileron or flap) then, using "Forward Mixing" the non-inverted signal goes to the left (aileron or flap).

The Back/Forward mixing name relates to how things are handled internally, so you might want to think of it just as "bilateral mixing" with the twist that to the left inverts, to the right does not.

Hope this helps.
Andy #3
Aug 14, 2019, 11:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMark
I need help mixing flaperons. This is on an AR636A receiver with Right A in port 2 and Left A in port 6, on a conscendo advanced

Are you using the stabilization in the receiver, or did you disable it so that the rx acts like a normal one?

Andy
Aug 14, 2019, 11:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz
Are you using the stabilization in the receiver, or did you disable it so that the rx acts like a normal one?

Andy
I am using stabilization in the receiver.

SAFE and AS3X seem to work in the correct directions.

Receiver is set to 2 Ailerons (there is no option for flaperons available in the Spektrum Programming Software for the Conscendo advanced, just One Aileron or 2 Ailerons).

Thanks in advance.
Aug 14, 2019, 11:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajohnsonlaird
If the output of the mix goes to the left (aileron or flap) then using "Back Mixing" the inverted signal is sent to the right (aileron or flap).

If the output of the mix goes to the right (aileron or flap) then, using "Forward Mixing" the non-inverted signal goes to the left (aileron or flap).

The Back/Forward mixing name relates to how things are handled internally, so you might want to think of it just as "bilateral mixing" with the twist that to the left inverts, to the right does not.

Hope this helps.
Andy #3
Thanks for the response.

I read through the manual again on mixing and Back Mixing.

After reading several times I am still confused on how to actually set up a Back Mix.

What exactly differentiates a Back Mix from a regular mix?
Aug 14, 2019, 11:42 AM
A regular mix is to a non-paired flying surface or an aux channel.

Back- and Forward-mixes are on paired surfaces, and are always there; you can't stop them.

Andy
Aug 14, 2019, 11:46 AM

Charging Li ion in a dx8e

I just switched over from 72 MHz to 2.4ghz! Bought a used dx8e. Apparently previous owner upgraded to a Spektrum Li ion 7.2v 2000mah thx batt. The only thing that came with the tx was the manual and a charging cord. The cord has female deans on one end and the other end goes into the back of the tx. I read that the Li ion has its own charging circuitry and that I should not use a wall charger.
My question is can I still use my charger with a male deans connector to charge my tx Li ion?
Aug 14, 2019, 11:57 AM

Charging Li ion in a dx8e

I just switched over from 72 MHz to 2.4ghz! Bought a used dx8e. Apparently previous owner upgraded to a Spektrum Li ion 7.2v 2000mah thx batt. The only thing that came with the tx was the manual and a charging cord. The cord has female deans on one end and the other end goes into the back of the tx. I read that the Li ion has its own charging circuitry and that I should not use a wall charger.
My question is can I still use my charger with a male deans connector to charge my tx Li ion?
Aug 14, 2019, 12:32 PM
No. The input to the charger in the battery is simply a 12V source, and the overall charger is a slow (overnight) type charge rate.

Trying to charge it faster with an external charger will likely cause damage.

I'd suggest getting the proper Spektrum 12V wall wart (or equivalent) for the DX8e. Or just using a 12V source with your cable.

I've got that battery in mine, and just charge it overnight before I go fly, like the "good old days"...
Aug 14, 2019, 01:13 PM
The Ground is The Limit™
Quote:
Thanks for the response.

I read through the manual again on mixing and Back Mixing.

After reading several times I am still confused on how to actually set up a Back Mix.

What exactly differentiates a Back Mix from a regular mix?
EDIT: Sorry -- I wrote this before I realized that Andy K (Andy #1) had responded. He used a helluva lot less words than I did.

Short answer: What makes a Back Mix? Having two channels, one for a left control surface and one for right control surface (e.g. flaps, ailerons, split elevator), and then if you specify the destination a mix to the left channel you create a Back mix or to the right channel a forward mix.

Example: Flaperons. The first thing is that you specify that you want to use two channels for flaps (this requires two separate flap servos of course). Then you will see the additional channels appear as LFL (left flap) and RFL (right flap) on the Monitor screen or the Mix screen.

When the flaps are driven by the Flap System, they will be moved symmetrically and thus they behave like flaps, but if they also move a little bit in the same direction as the aileron on their respective side of the wing, then they're working in assistance to the ailerons (aka flaperons).

Then you create a mix of the form: AIL > LFL (Back mix so RFL will be inverted as far as AIL motion is concerned), or AIL > RFL (which means the LFL will not be inverted). Which of the two you want depends on the physical servo, pushrod geometry, so I'd start with LFL (back mix) and see what happens when you deflect the ailerons. If both flaps move in the same direction, you need a forward mix (so change the Mix to have RFL as the destination.

The percentage rates for the mix are something that you have to experiment with and depend entirely on the aircraft and the effectiveness of the control surfaces.

Hope that helps
Andy #3
Last edited by ajohnsonlaird; Aug 14, 2019 at 01:15 PM. Reason: Apologies for duplicating Andy #1's answer.
Aug 14, 2019, 02:27 PM
No bounce, No play.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajohnsonlaird
EDIT: Sorry -- I wrote this before I realized that Andy K (Andy #1) had responded. He used a helluva lot less words than I did.

Andy #3
Isn't the short form of what really needed to be clarified?:

Forward mix drives paired surfaces in the normal manner. (Ailerons move as ailerons.) RAL

Back mix drives paired surfaces in a "Backwards" manner. (Ailerons move as flaps.) LAL
Aug 14, 2019, 02:35 PM

“Wall wart”?

Fizz, thanks for the reply. Just to confirm, I should charge with any 12v supply. But what is a “wall watt”?

QUOTE=fizzwater2;42518511]No. The input to the charger in the battery is simply a 12V source, and the overall charger is a slow (overnight) type charge rate.

Trying to charge it faster with an external charger will likely cause damage.

I'd suggest getting the proper Spektrum 12V wall wart (or equivalent) for the DX8e. Or just using a 12V source with your cable.

I've got that battery in mine, and just charge it overnight before I go fly, like the "good old days"...[/QUOTE]
Aug 14, 2019, 02:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxmasonrya
Fizz, thanks for the reply. Just to confirm, I should charge with any 12v supply. But what is a “wall watt”?
A WALL WART is a power supply that plugs into the wall. Cell phone chargers are a great example.

The one we sell puts out about 12VDC. That's what the charger in the battery pack wants - 10-15V, AC or DC.

Andy
Aug 15, 2019, 05:22 AM
Blue Skies
Quote:

When I set flap position to a negative number, the right aileron goes down, and the left goes up. I would want both to go down.

Is there a way to mix that so both go in the same direction? Could that be explained easily to me? (Still a noob to all this.)

Also, I heard that there is a peculiarity where sometimes if you apply a change on one aileron, the other aileron will exact opposite, but if you apply the same change to the second aileron, the first aileron will act in unison.

Here is a theoretical example of what I heard:

Apply right aileron down, left aileron goes up instead.
Apply left aileron down, right aileron goes down in unison.

Is that correct?

Thanks in advance.
If you have a programming cable, THIS THREAD for the AR636 might be useful.
Don
Aug 15, 2019, 08:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifinsword
If you have a programming cable, THIS THREAD for the AR636 might be useful.
Don
Thank you.

Yes, I did read through that article and have set up my Conscendo Advanced with flaperons (while maintaining all AS3X and SAFE functionality).

the only thing that I don't seem to be able to do is to set up differential though. That would be the cherry on the top of the Sundae if I could also have aileron differential as well.

In the RX the wing type is set to flaperons and in the TX it is set to One Ail and One Flap.

I've tried with different wing configurations in the transmitter but then I just lose control of the left Aileron.

Quick Reply