This thread is privately moderated by parkfly27, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jul 30, 2013, 10:56 PM
that's how i roll!!
Thread OP
Discussion

Green's Peak!

After discovering Green's peak on the Flagstaff flyers website and watching the fire lookout tower weather all week, i couldn't hold off any longer.... So i packed up the car with a bunch of planes, sheets, and some bare necessities (oh and and little Cotton pup of course!) and headed to northeast AZ.

Among the planes that tagged along was a Stryker and Mouton passer-downs from my good flying friend Jim. The Stryker has seen numerous sorties off the water retention dam and A-mountain across from New Mexico state university.

I arrived to Green's peak late in the day Saturday, and after taking in the scenery and putting a quick flight on the 3D foamie, i found a spot to camp for the night. After a night of refreshing rain, the clouds began to clear and it was time to head to the top. After taking in the breathtaking vivid green post-monsoon scenery i began to look for the slope site. What's i didn't realize was that you have to drive around the back of the mountain a little ways and loose some elevation to get the best wind angle. The winds were 15-20 mph steady right up the slope. First up was the Stryker which was nice lazy fun, since it wasn't clean enough to get any penetration in the wind.

After getting the feel for the conditions, i dusted off the Mouton (which i had covered the nose section in a Kevelar-carbon sock, intending to stick a stupidly large motor on the front....) Well it turns out i wouldn't need a motor to get this puppy moving After adding two lava rocks and a 3S 850 battery in the front and some minor trimming, everything seemed 'just right'. The last step was to wad some toilet paper in front of the lava rocks (i always come prepared ) on the nose for some padding and wrapping the entire front in strapping tape (we dont need no stinkin canopy!).... it was time to make the leap of faith.
What a plesant surprise! not only did it fly, but it flew very well, and very fast. After the disbelief wore off, i had to figure out just how i was going to land this thing! Despite my best efforts, every landing pass was accompanied by a audible WOOSH. My only option was to come from down hill, make a quick turn, and spear it into the largest clump of grass i could find. This technique took some practice... the first try cartwheeled, but contrary to how the impact sounded, there was no damage... The second and third attempt went much better, using the carbon-kevelar nose to get the spear technique perfected

At the end of the day i left with all my planes and a big smile on my face. Thanks Jim, the Monster Mouton lives to fly another day!
Last edited by parkfly27; Aug 01, 2013 at 10:51 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 31, 2013, 08:00 AM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Wow Steve! I had no idea that those old planes were still around. Good on ya for taking the trip to AZ. I have spent a few weeks in that area, riding the ATVs and fishingh and being redneck in general. Green MT. is beautiful.

The cotton pup is ....what?

The Mouton was fun with power - it should be a riot on the slope. I like your carbon sock fix.. sounds familiar

Fly on!
Jul 31, 2013, 09:46 PM
that's how i roll!!
Thread OP
Hey Jim, glad to hear from ya! Yup, they're still going strong. Lol overall redneck. Well it's a great place for that!

So i didn't realize you never met Cotton. I guess she's not really a pup anymore but you know how it goes... I will put some more pictures on the first post....

As far as i know, i'm pretty sure the Alb. club is having a slope event on Labor Day weekend. I'm planning on checking it out, you want to come?
Aug 01, 2013, 02:13 PM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Would love to...but have family commitments. Where in ABQ do they fly slope? I visted and lived there from 1990 to1996 and never could find a spot or a group to slope with. As of now, I don't have anyhting that would slope well and definiately nothing that can handle our local lava and boulder stewn slope sites.

Did you ever try to slope out at the Kilborne hole? Looks do-able from the tops of the sand dunes, but refer back to paragraph #1 for lame excuses.

I had a 2m foam P-40 Warhawk for about 3 months. Big bastard flew very well until an inverted move dropped the battery from 200 feet. I have several videos on my vimeo page, under JimNM username. DLG is an on and off pursuit, e gliders about 1/3 the time and warbirds/sporters round out my hanger right now.

Family and work keep getting in the way of flying.

Quick Reply