Introducing the NEW Cellpro Dual PowerLab 8x2 from Revolectrix - Page 4 - RC Groups
Dec 02, 2013, 08:27 PM
Can we get someone from FMA to post GA version on the website?
to remove ads between posts
Dec 02, 2013, 08:37 PM
Here is another comparison. Two PL6's, two PL8's and a DPL8.

Glen
Dec 02, 2013, 08:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohmic
Can we get someone from FMA to post GA version on the website?
I notified the folks at FMA about the omission. But it's late so I wouldn't expect a response before tomorrow.

Glen
Dec 02, 2013, 09:06 PM
Thanks Glen.
Dec 03, 2013, 03:41 AM
I recently bought two 24v 65A Lambda 1500 power supplies from E-Bay.
(One is enough until I get into the 8S or above Lipos.)
For full output, using two, I do have a 240V 20A(per side) circuit available.
The DC supply positive and negative are ground isolated, and various configurations
of the two supplies are possible if some sort of very close tolerance voltage output
is needed. They would accept control from the charger if it was capable. (Not!)
Currently, the one I'm using is set to 18.0VDC, enough to do initial testing
and charging of the smaller Lipos. When I get to parallel charging,
I'll start by upping the supply output to about it's maximum ~26-28VDC.
So far, the DPL 8 with the MPA adapters works as advertised.
(Received it Friday)
Perhaps the first noticeable difference (other than current capability) between it and
my BC6 type chargers is the balance function and the cell resistance measurement capability.
The higher discharge rate (to storage) is also very welcome.
I had to use an external load consisting of 100W resistors and a cell monitor to discharge the lipo's in any reasonable time,
because the BC6 types can at best discharge at a 1-2A rate (or less)
Since I use EC3,EC5, and Dean's connectors for the most part on the Lipo's,
Making EC to Deans adapters will be tomorrows project. (to support parallel charging)

There seems to be conflicting information concerning the CC software.
The printed information I have says that the down-loadable CC version supports
the DPL 8. Information in this thread says it does not.
And, while I'm at it, does it (and the serial/USB adapter driver) work with win 8, &8.1?
Last edited by chuck75; Dec 03, 2013 at 03:52 AM.
Dec 03, 2013, 08:54 AM
There is a different version of the CCS for each charger model (e.g., Multi4, PL6, PL8, etc.) The CCS for the DPL8 hasn't been posted yet. Hopefully it will be posted on the website today.

The CCS is available for download here:

http://revolectrix.com/downloads.htm
Dec 03, 2013, 12:01 PM
Revolectrix Ambassador
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck75
does it (and the serial/USB adapter driver) work with win 8, &8.1?
The FUIM3 works with Windows 8.0 and 8.1. If you have the FUIM2 you will need to upgrade.

Pictures of both in case you are unsure.
http://www.revolectrix.com/new_appli...re/pc.usb.html
Dec 03, 2013, 12:52 PM
Thanks! For giggles, I did try the CC program as it was late yesterday. Seemed to load and run ok in win 8.0. (No charger connected)The P/C's MBD has a built in comport (#1) intended for diagnostic use, and was immediately recognized. My laptop runs vista, and a net-book XP.
Those are likely to be used, not the win 8 P/C. I'd update the P/C to win 8.1, but there is a possible problem involving loss of windows media center.
Dec 03, 2013, 02:41 PM
I received word from FMA management this morning that they are verifying that there are no last minute changes before publishing the DPL8 CCS.

I expect it will be available within a few days. (My estimate, not FMA's.)

Glen
Dec 03, 2013, 02:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggcrandall1
I received word from FMA management this morning that they are verifying that there are no last minute changes before publishing the DPL8 CCS.

I expect it will be available within a few days. (My estimate, not FMA's.)

Glen
Thanks Glen.
Dec 04, 2013, 02:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Costas_
It will be good to know what the actual absolute maximum allowable input voltage will be.

Many 48v supplies/inverters etc which are commonly available are designed for battery charging systems. These generally output around 54v or so for float charging etc. So when used as a stand alone supply [ie not for charging batteries] their output is around 53 to 54v rather than 48V DC.

It would be very handy if we can use these types of supplies to power the Dual PL8.
Float charging involves a rather small current. I'd suspect that a passive load could be used to cause the PS to lower it's output voltage to an acceptable level.
Unregulated "brute force" supplies often had a minimum load as part of an output filter to accomplish the same result.
Dec 04, 2013, 02:48 PM
I would not recommend using a Pb battery charger as a power supply. On many of these units the output isn't clean and it can lead to problems.

There are many 48v power supplies available that do not have this issue and are designed with an adjustable output voltage +/- several volts.
Dec 06, 2013, 01:25 PM
The DPL 8 CC software is up!
Use the usual method (in the manual) to get to it!
Dec 06, 2013, 01:46 PM
Great! Installing now. Here is the direct link to the DPL8x2 CCS for anyone who needs to download it.

http://www.revolectrix.com/new_appli..._software.html
Dec 06, 2013, 01:47 PM
Suspended Account
Another design triumph for fma!

Are you listening Wee Ghose Yu!

Disclaimer. This is a joke.
Last edited by JohnathanSwift; Dec 06, 2013 at 03:15 PM.