Nov 01, 2017, 02:33 AM
Hello,
is there a 3D model of the charger available somewhere ? I'm designing a charger case with fusion 360 and it would be helpful to have a nice model...
to remove ads between posts
Nov 01, 2017, 11:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shockley
Hello,
is there a 3D model of the charger available somewhere ? I'm designing a charger case with fusion 360 and it would be helpful to have a nice model...
If you're designing a case for it, do you really need a 3D model of it?

All you really need is the DIMS. And if you're designing a case for it, do you not already have the charger?
Nov 11, 2017, 03:10 PM
I am just learning how to use my new DPL 8x2. For all of the LiPo presets, there is no "Automatic" mode available in the menus. In other words, I select a preset (e.g.; LiPo Generic Faster Charge), specify "No" for Multiple Packs, then on the Specify Charge Rate screen, the only options I have are to manually set the current.

I can scroll up and down through all the current settings and it will loop around. Nowhere does 1C, 2C, or 3C show up.

I have contacted Revo tech support, but so far, they have not been able to help (they just keep telling me that the Auto options are on the the Select Charge Rate screen, and even have gone so far as to send me a video of what I SHOULD be seeing).

Does anyone else have this issue? Am I doing something wrong?
Last edited by aymodeler; Nov 11, 2017 at 03:39 PM.
Nov 11, 2017, 03:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aymodeler
I am just learning how to use my new DPL 8x2. For all of the LiPo presets, there is no "Automatic" mode available in the menus. In other words, I select a preset (e.g.; LiPo Generic Faster Charge), specify "No" for Multiple Packs, then on the Specify Charge Rate screen, the only options I have are to manually set the current.

I can scroll up and down through all the current settings and it will loop around. Nowhere does 1C, 2C, or 3C show up.

I have contacted Revo tech support, but so far, they have not been able to help (they just keep telling me that the Auto options are on the the Select Charge Rate screen, and even have gone so far as to send me a video of what I SHOULD be seeing).

Does anyone else have this issue? Am I doing something wrong?
You have to do the “C” math yourself. So for Lipo generic if you had a 5000mah 2-6s pack you wanted to charge at 3c it would be 15 amps you would set it to. 3 (C) x 5(000) = 15(amps)

or

a 1300mah 2-6s pack at 5c would be 5(C) x 1.3(00) = 6.5(amps)

You would be best off to use the software and set up a few presets to suit your needs instead of using the big list of factory presets. I pretty much use 4 - LiHv accurate, Lipo accurate, A123, and nicad. It covers all my bases.
Last edited by Bhodi11; Nov 11, 2017 at 03:57 PM.
Nov 11, 2017, 05:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhodi11
You have to do the “C” math yourself. So for Lipo generic if you had a 5000mah 2-6s pack you wanted to charge at 3c it would be 15 amps you would set it to. 3 (C) x 5(000) = 15(amps)

or

a 1300mah 2-6s pack at 5c would be 5(C) x 1.3(00) = 6.5(amps)

You would be best off to use the software and set up a few presets to suit your needs instead of using the big list of factory presets. I pretty much use 4 - LiHv accurate, Lipo accurate, A123, and nicad. It covers all my bases.
I can do the math easy enough ... but given the price I paid for what is considered to be a fairly high end charger, I kind of expect the advertised features to work.
Nov 11, 2017, 07:05 PM
3D? I only got two thumbs!
Quote:
Originally Posted by aymodeler
I can do the math easy enough ... but given the price I paid for what is considered to be a fairly high end charger, I kind of expect the advertised features to work.
Yes, they certainly should. Not sure why you wouldn't be seeing those, but I'd go through all the settings carefully and see if there might be something that got disabled by accident. Support of course should know if there is something that could disable those, but if they aren't helping, at the very least going through all the menus will help get you more familiar with your new charger.

I don't use the auto C rates because they're slower. If you pick for example 2C, it carefully and slowly ramps up charging current until it figures out what it thinks your battery is. I believe it does this with IR, but it seems to add more time than just the initial wait for the IR value to get figured out so maybe there's more going on. Anyway, it's clearly slower to charge the auto 2C charge rate way than to just figure out what 2C is and put in that current.
Nov 11, 2017, 09:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroKen
Yes, they certainly should. Not sure why you wouldn't be seeing those, but I'd go through all the settings carefully and see if there might be something that got disabled by accident. Support of course should know if there is something that could disable those, but if they aren't helping, at the very least going through all the menus will help get you more familiar with your new charger.

I don't use the auto C rates because they're slower. If you pick for example 2C, it carefully and slowly ramps up charging current until it figures out what it thinks your battery is. I believe it does this with IR, but it seems to add more time than just the initial wait for the IR value to get figured out so maybe there's more going on. Anyway, it's clearly slower to charge the auto 2C charge rate way than to just figure out what 2C is and put in that current.
That is correct - the auto charge modes start slowly to detect the cell IR and then set an appropriate charge rate. That detection does slow the beginning of the operation.

If you want both fully automated charge setup AND optimal charge times, consider adding a Bump Controller and BumpTags to your PL setup - then you just bump the pack, connect wires, and hit Go.
Nov 12, 2017, 07:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevoKelly
That is correct - the auto charge modes start slowly to detect the cell IR and then set an appropriate charge rate. That detection does slow the beginning of the operation.

If you want both fully automated charge setup AND optimal charge times, consider adding a Bump Controller and BumpTags to your PL setup - then you just bump the pack, connect wires, and hit Go.
Any thoughts on why aymodeler can’t see the 1C, 2C, 3C charge rates? (His original question: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=348)
Nov 12, 2017, 07:33 AM
Quote:
Any thoughts on why aymodeler can’t see the 1C, 2C, 3C charge rates? (His original question: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=348)
The option to select 1c, 2c, 3c charge rates appears to have been removed from the DPL8. The selection of those rates is in the charge current selection for the PL8 but is no longer there in the DPL8.

Glen
Nov 12, 2017, 11:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggcrandall1
The option to select 1c, 2c, 3c charge rates appears to have been removed from the DPL8. The selection of those rates is in the charge current selection for the PL8 but is no longer there in the DPL8.

Glen
Cosmic. I just checked on mine, don't see them either. I could have sworn they were there, but then again I never actually use them so I guess I must have been picturing my PL6. Poked around a bit, don't see any settings anywhere that would affect whether they are shown. It's odd though, because the DPL8 manual you can download from the revo site does mention them in a few places.
Nov 12, 2017, 11:17 AM
Quote:
Cosmic. I just checked on mine, don't see them either. I could have sworn they were there, but then again I never actually use them so I guess I must have been picturing my PL6. Poked around a bit, don't see any settings anywhere that would affect whether they are shown. It's odd though, because the DPL8 manual you can download from the revo site does mention them in a few places.
OK, so it seems like I am no the only one who can't see the auto settings. The manual clearly calls them out and even the tech support guy I have exchanged e-mail with thinks they should be there.

Maybe sort of change was made (on purpose or in error) to the firmware, but it has not been clearly communicated?
Nov 18, 2017, 11:32 AM
Not Insane
I have a dual PL8 with a bump controller. Today I updated the bump controller firmware, but when I hooked up the fuim3 to the dpl8 I now have solid rectangles across the top of the displays. The firmware update will not work, saying there is an error. Com 9 is open when the fuim3 is connected to both sides. Any suggestions? thanks, Dan

EDIT: Operator Error!! I had tried to upload firmware for the V2 (3.xx) but I have an older version that goes to 1.10. After downloading the right charge control software and re-flashing, it works properly again.
Last edited by dogbreath; Nov 19, 2017 at 12:34 PM.
Nov 30, 2017, 11:28 AM
mdv
mdv
Anyone use the DPL software with Windows 10? One of my PCs doesn't work with DPL and it happens to be the only Windows 10 machine.

Device Manager sees the USB Serial Port but DPL just says "No Data from Dual Power Lab 8x2. I see the correct COM port is opened by DPL.
Nov 30, 2017, 11:35 AM
Closed Account
I've been connecting my DPL8 to my Windoz 10 PC for a few seasons with no problems.

You might try reinstalling the USB driver, but I know that I did nothing other than download and install the software, then connect my DPL8 and it worked immediately and worked as recently as last week. IIRC, the first time I connected the DPL8, a notice appeared about installing /configuring the USB driver, but it all happened automatically and involved no extra effort on my part.

Update: I assume that your PC was connected to the Internet when you tried connecting the DPL to the PC; otherwise, if it was the first time, the USB driver might not have been loaded - Long shot, but thought I would add the comment. I mention this because I had a similar problem with another device when my ISP was out-of-service during a recent storm.

Michael
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdv
Anyone use the DPL software with Windows 10? One of my PCs doesn't work with DPL and it happens to be the only Windows 10 machine.

Device Manager sees the USB Serial Port but DPL just says "No Data from Dual Power Lab 8x2. I see the correct COM port is opened by DPL.
Last edited by Snowflake6515; Nov 30, 2017 at 03:36 PM. Reason: Added question About Internet Connectivity
Nov 30, 2017, 03:15 PM
I did some reconfig on my DPL8 with a win 10 laptop last summer. I do seem to recall I had to do a little fussing around with the driver, but I don't recall too much hassle.

Quick Reply