Introducing the NEW Cellpro Dual PowerLab 8x2 from Revolectrix - Page 23 - RC Groups
Jan 26, 2017, 02:17 PM
Flown there, crashed that.
I'm working towards a complete solution that integrates with inventory control and other aspects surrounding the batteries and maintenance scheduling. Basically, I need a system with four charge ports that can maintain say 12 - 16 large capacity batteries and keep track of all of their health and cycle history. Also want to collate the battery information automatically into the aircraft flight logs and info. Really don't want to have to manually move the information around.

I don't need fine control over the charging parameters, just basic parameters and start/stop, as well as all the discharge/charge curve data and which battery is connected.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 26, 2017, 09:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.N.
I'm working towards a complete solution that integrates with inventory control and other aspects surrounding the batteries and maintenance scheduling. Basically, I need a system with four charge ports that can maintain say 12 - 16 large capacity batteries and keep track of all of their health and cycle history. Also want to collate the battery information automatically into the aircraft flight logs and info. Really don't want to have to manually move the information around.

I don't need fine control over the charging parameters, just basic parameters and start/stop, as well as all the discharge/charge curve data and which battery is connected.
We've had Bump feature requests for many of the same features, so it may align pretty well moving forward.

For example, supporting APIs for allowing other 3rd-party applications to access battery history data in a *live* manner - directly from the app or a cloud storage source, not import/export/copy of history files. This would allow flight controllers that are capable of reading the BumpTag cycle# (like Jeti integration) to be able to automatically record the battery and cycle# just prior to that flight.

Another item on our todo list is a "simplified" Bump/app UI options - the idea is to remove most of the detailed/complex data and present a much less imposing UI for "operator" folks who only know how to charge a pack, not analyze it in any way, so no need to show all of that detail - somebody else will look at those details in the Battery History to keep track of battery health.

What you're proposing is a large undertaking .... are you wanting to build this specifically to support your business, or looking to create a new product like this that you offer to others ?

If you want to share, feel free to PM me with more information and I'll comment further about relevant ideas we're kicking around for the future.
Jan 26, 2017, 11:13 PM
Flown there, crashed that.
Thanks, pm sent.
Apr 26, 2017, 06:56 PM

Storage setting(s)

Hello,

I'm a new user of the DPL, so this may be just user error. When discharging for storage, my charger stops when cells hit 3.90v. This is odd to me, because I set the discharge voltage target at 3.83v.

I might be making my own problem by not having a preset for discharging. I'm using a preset for charging (which has discharge target set to 3.83v), and I'm temporarily changing that preset to run:
- No cycles
- Discharge only
- End on discharge
- And then I run it as Discharge on the final menu

Maybe 3.93v is a better storage level, but I've always drawn my lipos down to 3.80'ish. And, I really want to know why my setting isn't giving me my expected result!

Any insight is appreciated! Thanks!

T.P.
Apr 26, 2017, 07:04 PM
3D? I only got two thumbs!
One of the default presets is a storage charge preset that does exactly what you want.
Apr 26, 2017, 07:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time Portal
Hello,

I'm a new user of the DPL, so this may be just user error. When discharging for storage, my charger stops when cells hit 3.90v. This is odd to me, because I set the discharge voltage target at 3.83v.

I might be making my own problem by not having a preset for discharging. I'm using a preset for charging (which has discharge target set to 3.83v), and I'm temporarily changing that preset to run:
- No cycles
- Discharge only
- End on discharge
- And then I run it as Discharge on the final menu

Maybe 3.93v is a better storage level, but I've always drawn my lipos down to 3.80'ish. And, I really want to know why my setting isn't giving me my expected result!

Any insight is appreciated! Thanks!

T.P.
Depending of the rate of discharge a LiPo battery will rebound back up several tenths when the discharge completes. The higher the discharge rate the higher up the rebound will be. This could explain your results. Although .7V is a bit high.

The next time you do a discharge watch the voltages as you reach end of discharge to verify that the discharge does go to 3.83V. Also if you have the Charge Control Software, CCS, you could enable the graphing and record the cell voltages.

Glen
Apr 26, 2017, 07:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggcrandall1
Depending of the rate of discharge a LiPo battery will rebound back up several tenths when the discharge completes. The higher the discharge rate the higher up the rebound will be. This could explain your results. Although .7V is a bit high.

The next time you do a discharge watch the voltages as you reach end of discharge to verify that the discharge does go to 3.83V. Also if you have the Charge Control Software, CCS, you could enable the graphing and record the cell voltages.

Glen
In fact I did just that, and the cells get down to 3.90v, not much below (maybe one cell went to 3.89), and then poof it stops. Maybe I need to graph if I can't figure this out...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroKen
One of the default presets is a storage charge preset that does exactly what you want.
... and that's exactly what I'll do then. There's got to be a setting in the charging presets that's messing me up.

Thanks guys!
Apr 26, 2017, 08:28 PM
Electric baptism 1975
Are you measuring the voltage immediately, or after an hour or so? The voltage will rebound a bit, especially if you charge up to 3.90v it could drop down a few 100ths probably more as your battery ages.
Apr 30, 2017, 01:36 AM
The rebound is only a few hundredths, so I was doing something wrong. I tried using the discharge library preset, and it worked like a charm!

Now working on a nice charging case.

Thanks everyone!

T.P.
Aug 25, 2017, 12:51 PM
event horizon
Hi there. I'm having a problem with the D PL 8 timing out before a charge is complete. Is there a way to adjust it? I think from my experience over the last 20 years with hobby related chargers that the cell pro is IMHO the best hardware. But I find the GUI and basic setup very difficult to deal with compared to other charger brands having similar characteristics. The rigid interface dictating the chemistry and how many of a particular chemistry is allotted is annoying. I don't own any 123 and most likely never will. Is there another GUI available that would allow true user control of the memory. I've read thru the manual and didn't see any detail info for example, explaining Ni battery charging in detail although there is allot of setting to play with in the advanced tabs. Is there more manual available that I'm not aware of discussing advanced operation? Maybe I'm stuck in Model T mode and bought a Tesla wondering where the manual crank is(LOL)
Aug 25, 2017, 01:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper Q
Hi there. I'm having a problem with the D PL 8 timing out before a charge is complete. Is there a way to adjust it? I think from my experience over the last 20 years with hobby related chargers that the cell pro is IMHO the best hardware. But I find the GUI and basic setup very difficult to deal with compared to other charger brands having similar characteristics. The rigid interface dictating the chemistry and how many of a particular chemistry is allotted is annoying. I don't own any 123 and most likely never will. Is there another GUI available that would allow true user control of the memory. I've read thru the manual and didn't see any detail info for example, explaining Ni battery charging in detail although there is allot of setting to play with in the advanced tabs. Is there more manual available that I'm not aware of discussing advanced operation? Maybe I'm stuck in Model T mode and bought a Tesla wondering where the manual crank is(LOL)
Can you be more specific about what exactly it is that you're charging, the specifics of your power supply, what preset you're using as well as any changes to the preset that you've made?
Aug 25, 2017, 06:01 PM
In search of speed......
Quote:
The preset (s)can be removed and/or modified via the window software, which can be downloaded in FMA USA page under the charger/resources....I used to do that but i don't bother now with the bump controller that become irrelevant.
Aug 25, 2017, 07:28 PM
Quote:
Hi there. I'm having a problem with the D PL 8 timing out before a charge is complete. Is there a way to adjust it?

Yes there is. However you need to provide the answers to Ohmic's questions before making any changes.

I think from my experience over the last 20 years with hobby related chargers that the cell pro is IMHO the best hardware. But I find the GUI and basic setup very difficult to deal with compared to other charger brands having similar characteristics.

Actually the PowerLab UI is very straight forward. It's only problem is it allows the user to do too many things. It is usually best to accept the system defaults. About the only thing the user need do is pick a preset and set the charging current.

The rigid interface dictating the chemistry and how many of a particular chemistry is allotted is annoying.

Please explain.

I don't own any 123 and most likely never will. Is there another GUI available that would allow true user control of the memory.

Are you using the Charge Control Software (CCS)? There is quite a lot more information there. If you cursor over the individual parameters there are additional explanations.

I've read thru the manual and didn't see any detail info for example, explaining Ni battery charging in detail although there is allot of setting to play with in the advanced tabs. Is there more manual available that I'm not aware of discussing advanced operation? Maybe I'm stuck in Model T mode and bought a Tesla wondering where the manual crank is(LOL)
Glen
Aug 26, 2017, 09:07 AM
event horizon
Hi thanks for the help. Having a PC interface is very important for me which is one of reasons I bought the Revolectrix product. The PL8 dual replaced my two Hyperion 1420 iNets because I could no longer get the software to work on W10 . There is no support from Hyperion to speak of and although the GUI was EZ to use the SW was not stable and did weird dangerous stuff sometimes . The chargers still work fine just can't use them in conjunction with a PC. (the weird behavior only occurs when using the GUI)
The little project I'm working on is cycling 3 Tararnis 2200 mAh NiMh Tx packs that have been sitting for a year or more. There is only one NiMh setting I see listed in the presets, #23 labeled fast charge with trickle. I don't want to fast charge the packs. When setting the charge current below 600mA the charger times out after 4hrs so no trickle charge happens. When I set a higher current It charges before time out but the trickle charge doesn't occur. I figure I'm not comprehending something right. Also curios if the there is a glossary available from Revolectrix to define the terms in the advanced tabs. I've found a website about battery charging and it seems that the Nickel based battery can be a considerably more complex to charge correctly than a Lipo.
http://http://batteryuniversity.com/..._metal_hydride
Aug 27, 2017, 12:32 PM
event horizon
Thanks I found the timeout tab hidden behind some arrows , didn't notice it before. The battery U.s ight is very helpful in figuring this out. Thanks for the hardware even if the GUI is hard to use. As it's said in the boat building world, "every boat is a compromise". Seems battery chargers follow the same rules.