This thread is privately moderated by porcia83, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jul 29, 2013, 04:29 PM
Suspended Account
Thread OP
Cool

Toughjets creator visit

Our clubs annual electric event was held recently and for the third year (at last as far as I can recall) the creator and owner of Tough Jets, Wayne Roberts, made the 3 plus hour ride to have some fun in the wet and hot weather.

I bought his original Tough Jet almost 3 years ago and that was my first real "build" if it can even be called that. The aircraft is unique in shape/form as well as materials. As much as I hate to build, this went together pretty easy. Even easier when you read the directions and actually use the suggested power set up. I went the route of trying to get cheaper, then settled back into the suggested set up. It's not a screamer but can really move out and I found it pretty maneuverable. I posted a pic of the plane back in Dec of 2010 and Wayne recently told me he saw that pic, and shared his opinion on the paint. I'll do better next time!

So this year he brought the new and improved Vectored thrust version of the plane. Same gear set up, but now two extra servos. He's also experimenting with some graphics which looked fantastic on one of the demo models.

Although the plane looks heavy and "draggy", it's a real goof to watch the thing take off vertically ala Harrier. Full throttle and some stick moved and it takes off like a rocket. In the air, the plane does all kinds of wild moves with the extra flaps. Coming into a headwind the plane will slow down and it can be grabbed right out of the air.

Back at the start of the year I started thinking about building a plane and using all US made parts. I actually opted to go with the new Tough Jets vectored thrust kit, and purchased this back in January. Still in the box! Wayne was kind enough to spend time going through his kit items, and where he sourced them. Between that discussion, and others that occurred here, it didn't take long to see that building something out of all US made parts wasn't going to be possible. The main issue centered around the electronics, specifically the motor and the servos. Almost everything else could be done with US sourced material. So I'm still going to use as much as I can and see what I can finish with. Meanwhile, I'll do my part not to make this one as garish as the first.

One final note, each time Wayne has visited his first priority is to fly and have fun. He's never asked to bring his products with him to sell, although I have told him to bring a few in case he's asked. He's turned the sticks over to anyone who has asked, and spends time explaining the set up and tips on how to fly it. It's always a pleasure to have him as a guest, and the unique plane, sound, and flying is always appreciated by the other pilots.

Wonder if a ducted fan version could be done?
Last edited by porcia83; Aug 06, 2013 at 08:19 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 29, 2013, 04:33 PM
Suspended Account
Thread OP

More pics...including the ugly duckling.

Have no idea why that last one won't go right side up.....ugh!
Nov 14, 2013, 10:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by porcia83
Have no idea why that last one won't go right side up.....ugh!
Rotation... check !

Quick Reply