This thread is privately moderated by Esprit Model, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Apr 07, 2017, 05:03 PM
Can you put up pics or screen shots of your set up in the Tx? It would help to see what is wrong
to remove ads between posts
Apr 07, 2017, 05:46 PM
By the way, this is what I use
I'm using a JetCat turbine so I have the throttle throws set at +/- 75% and the limits set at +/- 100% (these were set in Model -> Servo Setup)

1) Throttle trim is basically deactivated (trim buttons do not change the throttle setting). This was done in the Fine Tuning -> Digital Trim menu. Select the throttle function, and scroll across to "- Rate+". Set both these rates to 0%. Now the digital throttle trims are disabled.
2) In Advanced Properties -> Other Model Options and scroll down to Throttle Cut. Choose your throttle kill switch (I use Sf) and set the throttle cut output value to -125%

By looking at the Receiver Output screen you can see that:
- when the throttle kill switch is activated, the receiver output for the throttle channel is -93% regardless of throttle position.
- when the throttle kill switch is deactivated and the throttle stick is in the idle position, the receiver output for throttle is -72%
- when the throttle kill switch is deactivated and the throttle stick is in the full power position, the receiver output for throttle is 74%

These settings have to be taught to the engine (Learn RC). For low trim & idle stick (shut down position), just activate the turbine kill switch. For trim up & low stick, deactivate the kill switch and put the stick in the idle position. For trim up & stick up, the kill switch should be deactivated and the stick in the full power position.

Functionally, to start the turbine, the kill switch has to be deactivated and the throttle moved to the up position. To shut down the turbine, the kill switch is activated (regardless of the throttle stick position).

Make sure to program the receiver to failsafe on throttle at -93%. Also, I added a couple of wav files to play based on the kill switch position (Advanced Properties -> Sounds on Event) that say "Kill Turbine" when the kill switch is activated and "Turbine Run" when the switch is deactivated. I also set a preflight position to make sure the kill switch is activated when starting up the transmitter (Advanced Properties -> Stick/Switches Setup)

(Thanks RCjet for helping with this)
Last edited by Puttputtmaru; Apr 07, 2017 at 06:01 PM.
Apr 15, 2017, 11:24 AM
Brand new DS -14 owner here - came over from a Spektrum DX 8. Quick programming question. I have an aircraft with two servo flaps and two aileron servos. I want to use one channel for each (i.e. y-harness). I can't figure out how to do it. For wing type selection, it does not provide the one flap and one aileron option. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
Apr 15, 2017, 11:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephmet
Brand new DS -14 owner here - came over from a Spektrum DX 8. Quick programming question. I have an aircraft with two servo flaps and two aileron servos. I want to use one channel for each (i.e. y-harness). I can't figure out how to do it. For wing type selection, it does not provide the one flap and one aileron option. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
Just select the 1 Flap, 2 Aileron wing type and then, in the Servo Assignment menu, only assign Aileron1 to a receiver channel. If you press Auto it will assign everything but the Servo Assignment menu will allow you to assign and channel to any function or to leave some functions unassigned..

Wayne
Apr 15, 2017, 01:43 PM
Thanks very much sir!
Apr 15, 2017, 10:38 PM
does anyone have experience with the xicoy angle meter? reason i ask is i am setting up throws on a new plane and have travel limits the same but have noticed that through the throw range the ailerons are moving at different rates. One aileron might be at 18 degrees and the other will be at 24 degrees. The surfaces were set to zero before the movement, why arent they moving at the same rate across the board?
Apr 16, 2017, 07:45 AM
Not sure I understand your question.

Are you questioning the Xicoy accuracy or do your ailrerons have the same throw at zero and full deflection but not through the movement from zero to full?

If it is the first one then double check with an other incidence meter

If the second than few solutions I can see:

1) improve your mechanical set up ( avoid sub trim, length of pushrod...)
2) match your servos better
3) adjust your travel with the Jeti servo balancer

Sorry if this seems basic but give more information or pictures if need be.
Apr 16, 2017, 09:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cansfan
does anyone have experience with the xicoy angle meter? reason i ask is i am setting up throws on a new plane and have travel limits the same but have noticed that through the throw range the ailerons are moving at different rates. One aileron might be at 18 degrees and the other will be at 24 degrees. The surfaces were set to zero before the movement, why arent they moving at the same rate across the board?
I have one of the Xicoy CG meters with the angle sensors and I've found it to work extremely well. The first thing I would check is that your angle sensor are firmly attached and the movement of the ailerons isn't causing them to shift and that they are positioned in the same spot on each aileron.

Also you said you set the "travel limits" the same but how you set them to is critical to understanding your problem. Also, to avoid any confusion, rather than "travel limits" let call them Max Positive, Max Negative, Max Positive Limit and Max Negative Limit and Sub-Trim as all of these can come into play depending on the values used. Max Positive Limit and Max Negative Limit are absolute values and the servo will never move past these points. By default they are set to 125% I believe so if for example you leave them at the default, and then set Max Positive to 120% and use 20 points of sub-trim you will run into the 125% Max Positive Limit which will prevent the servo from moving as much as expected. You may well already know all this and if so, sorry for being redundant but without knowing the values of Max Positive, Max Negative, Max positive Limit, Max Negative Limit and Sub-Trim I can't tell if it's a servo setting setup issue or something else. If you can provide a bit more information I'll be happy to try to help you figure it out.

Wayne
Apr 16, 2017, 06:00 PM
This is the new DS-14 owner with another silly question. Is there a way to get voice announcements regarding specific throttle position (e.g. throttle 10%, 50%, etc.). I don't believe the radio will do it outright (correct me if I am wrong), but I was thinking / wondering if it could be done via telemetry voice announcements. I apologize in advance for the silly question. I won't make this a habit.
Apr 16, 2017, 07:10 PM
Ramon
Hello,

I got the Mbar sensor. I want to program a condition with the retracts switch. Could anyone help me set up this condition? Below a certain pressure I would like to deactivate the switch.

Thanks in advanced,

Ramon
Apr 16, 2017, 07:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephmet
This is the new DS-14 owner with another silly question. Is there a way to get voice announcements regarding specific throttle position (e.g. throttle 10%, 50%, etc.). I don't believe the radio will do it outright (correct me if I am wrong), but I was thinking / wondering if it could be done via telemetry voice announcements. I apologize in advance for the silly question. I won't make this a habit.
I'm sure it can be done in multiple ways but to be honest I'm not sure it sounds like a terribly useful thing to do.... I'm assuming you would want to know when you are at a specific throttle setting but by the time enough of the message was spoken to identify it, you would probably no longer be at that same stick position. The short answer is it can be done but I'm not so sure it's worth doing.

Wayne
Apr 16, 2017, 07:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzubiria
Hello,

I got the Mbar sensor. I want to program a condition with the retracts switch. Could anyone help me set up this condition? Below a certain pressure I would like to deactivate the switch.

Thanks in advanced,

Ramon
Do you want to simply disable retracting the gear when the pressure is below a certain point or also have the gear extend once the gear pressure reaches the minimum pressure required to drop the gear..

Wayne
Apr 16, 2017, 08:01 PM
Ramon

Mbar

Hello Wayne,

Both. Deactivate and extend the gear also.

Thanks,

Ramon
Apr 16, 2017, 11:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wfield0455
I have one of the Xicoy CG meters with the angle sensors and I've found it to work extremely well. The first thing I would check is that your angle sensor are firmly attached and the movement of the ailerons isn't causing them to shift and that they are positioned in the same spot on each aileron.

Also you said you set the "travel limits" the same but how you set them to is critical to understanding your problem. Also, to avoid any confusion, rather than "travel limits" let call them Max Positive, Max Negative, Max Positive Limit and Max Negative Limit and Sub-Trim as all of these can come into play depending on the values used. Max Positive Limit and Max Negative Limit are absolute values and the servo will never move past these points. By default they are set to 125% I believe so if for example you leave them at the default, and then set Max Positive to 120% and use 20 points of sub-trim you will run into the 125% Max Positive Limit which will prevent the servo from moving as much as expected. You may well already know all this and if so, sorry for being redundant but without knowing the values of Max Positive, Max Negative, Max positive Limit, Max Negative Limit and Sub-Trim I can't tell if it's a servo setting setup issue or something else. If you can provide a bit more information I'll be happy to try to help you figure it out.

Wayne
Wayne see my aileron settings below please:
Aileron 1 subtrim -11 Max positive 81% max negative -90% max positive/negative limit at default +/- 125%
Aileron 2 subtrim 0% Max positive 100% Max negative -86% max positive/negative limit at default +/- 125%

I have my ailerons set at 35 degrees up and down travel. When I move my aileron stick say half way I was expecting to see approximately the same value on both surfaces from xicoy. Instead of approximately the same we'll say I see 16 degrees on one and 24 degrees on the other. Those are numbers to simply relay my idea and not true numbers. What I am seeing is along the entire sweep of the aileron stick the numbers aren't always staying close to each other, say 25 degrees on left aileron and 27 degrees on right aileron, they are wondering as far as 6 degrees apart at different points. When I ad trim to see if the angles stay close they do for the most part maybe 2-2.5 degrees difference. Why are they moving farther apart with full stick movement?
Apr 17, 2017, 11:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cansfan
Wayne see my aileron settings below please:
Aileron 1 subtrim -11 Max positive 81% max negative -90% max positive/negative limit at default +/- 125%
Aileron 2 subtrim 0% Max positive 100% Max negative -86% max positive/negative limit at default +/- 125%

I have my ailerons set at 35 degrees up and down travel. When I move my aileron stick say half way I was expecting to see approximately the same value on both surfaces from xicoy. Instead of approximately the same we'll say I see 16 degrees on one and 24 degrees on the other. Those are numbers to simply relay my idea and not true numbers. What I am seeing is along the entire sweep of the aileron stick the numbers aren't always staying close to each other, say 25 degrees on left aileron and 27 degrees on right aileron, they are wondering as far as 6 degrees apart at different points. When I ad trim to see if the angles stay close they do for the most part maybe 2-2.5 degrees difference. Why are they moving farther apart with full stick movement?
Scott,

I answered your PM about the Aura and sent you my phone # so you can call me when you actually have access to the model.. We can discuss this at that time too if you want.

Wayne

Quick Reply