This thread is privately moderated by Esprit Model, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jul 29, 2013, 11:10 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Sailplane EL/TD Programming

First thread is dedicated to organizing and cataloging your Inputs & Suggestions.

Zb/Esprit Model
to remove ads between posts
Jul 30, 2013, 08:48 AM
Mesa AZ, it's a dry heat!

Stick top switch

Someone has to be first, so here goes.
I have a pushbutton switch on the right stick, but despite following the instructions in the manual, the TX does not 'see' it. I want to use it to turn on my motor on my ALES models.
What am I missing?

Iain
Jul 30, 2013, 11:09 AM
Have you visited 'Sticks/Switches Setup' in the Advanced Properties menu? The DS16 for some reason doesn't automatically detect changes in switch configuration as advertised, so you have to tell it what you have done using the above menu screen.
Jul 30, 2013, 09:07 PM

Push Button

Thanks for the response Trevor. I did the set-up per the manual, but to no avail. Mine is the DC-18 by the way.

Iain
Jul 31, 2013, 02:25 AM

Tentative Sticks and Switches Assignment

This is an attempt to develop a DS-16 set-up for a full-house sailplane (1 - ESC/Motor; 2 - Aileron Left; 3 - Flap Left; 4 - Flap Right; 5 - Aileron Right; 6 - Elevator; 7 - Rudder.

No modifications will be made on the DS-16, i. e., DS-16 will be straight out of the box. The Test Sailplane will be Flyzone Calypso, progressing to a Sprite-E.

Sticks Assignment:

P1 - Elevator
P2 - Aileron
P3 - Butterfly/Landing
P4 - Rudder
P5 - Flaps
P6 - ESC/Motor
P7 - Unassigned
P8 - Unassigned

Switch Assignment:

Sa - 3-Pos (Speed/Cruise/Thermal-Launch)
Sb - Snap Flap
Sc - Elevator Dual Rates/Expo
Sd -
Se - 3 - Pos (Ail/Ruidder Coupling) Hi-Off-Lo
Sf - Aileron Dual Rates/Expo
Sg -
Sh - 2-pos Momentary - "Sound Alert Checks", courtesy of Randy (rcbrust)
Last edited by delperena; Aug 02, 2013 at 12:10 AM. Reason: Info update
Jul 31, 2013, 09:24 PM

Program for sailplanes with motor

I like the idea, I do my assignments slightly differently; 1-Left aileron 2- Left flap 3- Right flap 4-Right aileron 5- rudder 6-Elevator. 7-Motor.
I also run my motor from a spring loaded switch. I have swapped the Sa and Sb switches so as to have a spring loaded switch in the top LH corner for motor.

I tend not to use flight modes as it is too easy to be in the wrong mode at the wrong time.
I likewise do not use dual rates very often, or expo. I have found over the years that very long sticks on the right side (mode 2) give me effective "mechanical expo".

I have just started to use the DC-16 after many years with the MPX Profi 4000 so I am learning this system with some bias toward the European method of programming.

I look forward to seeing more on this thread.

Iain
Jul 31, 2013, 10:20 PM
Hello Iain,

Excellent input from you - I can learn as this is my first attempt at a full house.

My objectives with this excercise: to explore DS-16 capabilities; learn glider behavior under different conditions; perform aerobatics; more, I suppose, as progress dictates.

Perhaps, after going through what may be complexities, I can simplify - but only after I have learned the why's.

I also use long sticks (about 40 mm) and find expo unnecessary as you do. DS-16 allows quick set-ups.

One of the things I have not tried is the "Snap Flaps".

The "Dual Rates" will allow me to "3D' Yes! 3D a Glider! Pretty ambitious "wants-to-do" but doable, I think.
Last edited by delperena; Aug 01, 2013 at 11:43 AM. Reason: added info
Aug 01, 2013, 11:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rev.iain
I tend not to use flight modes as it is too easy to be in the wrong mode at the wrong time.

Iain
What do you think we can do about this? I am thinking sound alerts, which I don't have any expertise on.

There are many things we can do with the DS-16, some may be superfluous complexities, but fun for sure.

Del
Aug 01, 2013, 05:58 PM

a la Mode or not

As far as being being in the wrong mode at the wrong time, one possibility is a verbal warning when airspeed falls off at the top of the launch to say "Get out of Launch mode", or when altitude is less than 50' "Landing mode on".

All possible, but I am not sure I need it.

Too many times I have heard pilots say "I could not get up speed to move out and then realized I was still in launch mode", or "I could not get full flap because I was in thermal mode".
I like to use a different control for launch, thermal and landing flaps, that way I don't need to do modes. That is why I like to have switches and sliders I can use for these functions, and I can 'feel' them in the correct position, without looking down.

Iain
Aug 01, 2013, 08:37 PM
Soaring Circuits
I like using flight modes and I set up my DS-16 to announce the mode when I turn it on. But, I also went one step further. I don't use the sprung 2 position switch for anything so I set it so if I pull that switch, it announces the current flight mode. It's nice in that since it's sprung, you don't have to worry about returning it to the original position. So if, for example, I'm starting into my landing pattern and I don't remember if I switched to landing mode, I can just reach back and flick the switch and it tells me what mode I'm currently in. Good for us guys who are getting old and losing their memory.

Randy
Aug 02, 2013, 12:08 AM
Randy,

Thanks, just about what I am thinking of plus more. I am not young (nearly 80) and a late bloomer in rc aircraft. I am incorporating your "Flick Switch" in my set-up.

The subject of flight modes and sound alerts are discussed in "Software and Hardware ....., Jeti USA".

Iain,

Please continue to chime in.

Del
Last edited by delperena; Aug 02, 2013 at 12:13 AM. Reason: added info
Aug 04, 2013, 11:19 AM

Incorporating non-Jeti sensors

I have recently purchased an Altis 4, (sorry Randy), which supposedly is supported by the Jeti telemetry system.
Does anyone have any insight into how this is enabled? I have not done too much yet on this but would like to implement it sometime soon. I do have the cable which connects the com. port to the receiver.

Iain
Aug 04, 2013, 05:50 PM
Thread OP
Talk to David he tested Altis V4 with his Jeti DS-16.

Zb/Esprit Model
Aug 04, 2013, 06:55 PM

Altis V4

Thanks Zb, I assume you mean David at Esprit.

Iain
Oct 05, 2013, 07:38 PM

Timers for ALES

Everyone may already know this, but if you start a timer with a momentary switch, or some control which gets turned off at some point, the timer type needs to be of the "free-running" .
I use this for ALES where the time starts when the motor starts (and the model is released) but does not stop until the model touches the ground.

I start the timer with the motor "ON" switch, but then it runs until the STOP button is pressed below the LCD screen.

Iain

Quick Reply