This thread is privately moderated by Esprit Model, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Dec 27, 2014, 02:34 AM
Team JetiUSA
Correction! 9303.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 27, 2014, 08:49 AM
Closed Account

Spektrum Bridge: Incremental Approach?

I built a Jeti to Spektrum bridge using a DM9 Spektrum module (several approaches, search the group.) This allows me to fly the BNF HH models that either (1) are not easily converted to Jeti (e.g., ultra micro...) or (2) don't yet have the budget for the Jeti equipment.

This way, you can incrementally convert the fleet without having to spend the full $2K (your estimate) all upfront.

Michael
Quote:
Originally Posted by prototype3a
I started with a Futaba 9CAPS and then switched to a x9303. A few years ago, I sold that radio and upgraded to the x9503 for what amounts to about $50. To this day, I believe the x9503 is the best spektrum radio ever made. Currently, I see absolutely no reason to switch to any newer radio system. The only thing my x9503 lacks is battery capacity based alarms, and to a certain extent, I have that now with my JetiBox Profi. So, the only thing I need now are Mezon ESCs in sizes and ratings not currently offered.

While I do know a few people who have 'upgraded' to a new radio almost every year, most of the pilots I know have been using the same JR/Spektrum radio as long as I've known them.

Sure, I'd love to have a DS-14 or DS-16 but for me, as I said earlier, it would be an investment of about $2k to buy the radio AND switch all my Spektrum equipped models to Jeti.
Mar 09, 2015, 10:30 AM
Huckin around the Shire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esprit Model
Will be from 5A up to 300A, Jeti will be implementing telemetry in the future to the whole new line of ESCs, but different projects need to be finished first.

Zb/Jeti USA
Any update on new ESCs? I am working on transitioning my fleet over to Mezons, but the gap in the small and large is still there.
Jul 06, 2015, 10:23 PM
I have not read this entire thread so I am not sure if this idea has been posted before but here goes!

The back side of he tx where the tx rubber bumpers blend with the metal backplate can be a little slippery. I thought it would be nice if some kind of textured grip material were placed there.

My solution to this is to remove the backplate and the two rubber bumpers and spray the plate with truck bedliner. The bedliner goes on great and will look like a factory job.

Cheers,

Shawn
Jul 08, 2015, 10:35 AM
Something I'd really like to see in a future update I being able to have the Ds16 read off the current time. It's got the clock, and if I could assign a switch to read it off, it would be ideal. When I fly I usually don't have all day, and if I'm flying something that stays in the air for 20+ minutes I don't like taking my eyes off the plane to look at the time.
Aug 11, 2015, 05:52 PM

Jeti vs Taranis

I am trying to justify why anyone would spend Three times as much for a Jeti vs a Taranis which includes a receiver and case. Is the Jeti really all that much better or is it just marketing hype. BMW vs Chevrolet.

Maybee someone here as used both. I am currently using Spektrum but don't care to spend hours programming each plane.
Aug 11, 2015, 05:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoResults
I am trying to justify why anyone would spend Three times as much for a Jeti vs a Taranis which includes a receiver and case. Is the Jeti really all that much better or is it just marketing hype. BMW vs Chevrolet.

Maybee someone here as used both. I am currently using Spektrum but don't care to spend hours programming each plane.
I own both, and have since they were released. Comfortable programming both too. Both do the same things, and the Jeti IS worth the extra money. Honestly, if you can't see any reason why a Jeti is worth more than a Taranis, no one is going to convince you, so I'm not going to waste the time justifying it to you. You probably don't see why a Rolls Royce is worth more than a Corolla either. Both have seats wheels and an engine, so why would one cost so much more?

Personally, I think your post sounds like you are trolling. If you are actually interested in why one is worth more, do a search on any forum. There are hundreds of posts on multiple forums that answer your question. I wrote a pretty detailed one on Helifreak about a week ago. My name there is "Gearswinger".
Aug 12, 2015, 01:30 AM
Well since I have never seen a Jeti to hold in my hand as Florida is not near by. I was hoping that someone would have a b etter response. OK, I have not searched every forumn I was interested in someone using or has used both of these systems
Aug 13, 2015, 03:28 AM
I have both the Taranis and the Jeti DS-16.

The OpenTx software of the Taranis is easily the most powerful firmware available, it can do so much more than Jeti or anyone else. I use it for my "normal" models and overall it seems good but I have had a couple of lock outs at close range.

I won't let Frsky near my valuable jets. I cannot trust a £5000 model to a £15 rx whose aerial is attached by a crude blob of solder that looks like my soldering did when I was age 12! Several Taranis users at my field have had the buttons break off and drop inside the tx. The whole build quality of the Jeti Tx and Rx is much higher than Frsky. Do remember that what makes Taranis so amazing is not Frsky but the independent OpenTx project which I also flashed onto a Turnigy9X which makes it have amazing abilities as well.

In my jets I need big power distribution boards - Jeti make them or Powerbox or Emcotec make them and they take serial data from Jeti and from some other brands too. None of them take serial data from Frsky. Jeti's telemetry is bi-directional (I think it is the only brand that is) which means that with Jeti I can program the Jeti power board and the Jeti sensors from the tx, Taranis can't do that with Frsky sensors. Also there are adapters to connect Xicoy and Projet and JetCat ECUs to Jeti telemetry, not only can Jeti display the telemetry but because it is bi-directional it becomes the engine's ground support unit and can program the ECU from the Jeti Tx. Adapters to read, let alone to program ECUs, are not available for Frsky.

My ideal radio is Jeti physical stuff with OpenTx firmware, Frsky would not be involved.
Last edited by HarryC; Aug 13, 2015 at 05:37 AM.
Aug 13, 2015, 03:58 AM
Huckin around the Shire
Graupner also does two way communication, but is not same quality as the Jeti or as flexible as either one. Jeti is more like apple where everything is designed to work together like the Mezon ESC and the Central Box.
Aug 13, 2015, 07:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoResults
Well since I have never seen a Jeti to hold in my hand as Florida is not near by. I was hoping that someone would have a b etter response. OK, I have not searched every forumn I was interested in someone using or has used both of these systems
Where do you live?

Here is what I posted over on Helifreak about my experiences with both radios:

Quote:
I've had both for years and am proficient at programming them both, so I think I can give you a decent answer. In terms of functionality, you wouldn't really gain anything beyond the ability to graph telemetry right on the radio after a flight. Beyond that the Taranis will do all the same things and a few more since it supports up to 32ch.

What you gain is in feel, quality, and overall usability. The hardware is where the majority of your money goes, and Jeti hardware is beyond reproach. All machined aluminum, tight high quality switches, and incredible machines gimbals along with a clear high resolution screen. Programming wise, neither is particularly simple, although the Jeti makes it easier to stumble on a correct answer to a problem since there are more predefined options in the Jeti. There are also more options as far as telemetry sensors for Jeti as well. Signal wise you should have a more robust link on Jeti due to the dual transmitters along with dual antennas for each transmitter vs the one on the Taranis, although Frsky's link is extremely robust as well.

That's about it. I own both, the Taranis was my main transmitter for a few months before I tried a Jeti. Once I did it spoiled me on everything else. The feel and quality of the Jeti is unmatched, and I find myself being able to do things more quickly and easily than on the Taranis. It is not a rational choice any more than participating in the hobby itself is. If you like the Taranis then stick with it, it's easy to sell either radio on features vs the rest of the market, but against each other functionality wise it's pretty much a wash. Just don't ever use a Jeti or you'll never be happy with the Taranis again.
Aug 13, 2015, 10:54 AM

Jeti or Taranis

Thanks for all your replies. HarryC I think you have answered my questions. Also thank you Enterprise7. ncrego I will check your gearswinger site.

At the present I do not own any expensive planes. I just wanted a more comfortable but user friendly transmitter that I could use for a long time and not feel like I made a bad choice.

I was able to purchase a used Jeti with accessories for a good price. I feel comfortable with this as the total package adds up to a good overall value and if for some reason this does not work for me I can re-sell,

I am in the Portland, Oregon area and I don't see other users in this area.

Again thanks for all the comments.
Aug 23, 2015, 09:31 AM
Which one is aileron again?
I was just thinking this morning that if a simple calibration curve could be loaded into the Jeti Telemetry Sensor Voltage MU3 EX that it could be used as a 3 channel thermocouple sensor. With a type E thermocouple, the +/-20v channels could read between -300C to +285C.

My intended use would be to embed a thermocouple into the windings of my motor.
Aug 23, 2015, 12:47 PM
Which one is aileron again?
Never mind. I just realized that thermocouples are mV not V so they need an amplifier.
Aug 26, 2015, 10:07 AM

Prouct Idea

Ex-Bus only receiver with multiple ports.

Setting up a Goblin 630 I just got... (first FBL Heli)... using Spirit FBL unit.. Have a receiver I was going to use but found out that if you use ex-bus interface then you can't use any telemetry... luckily there is now receivers (REX series) which have multiple ex ports to be able to use ex-bus and telemetry simultaneously.. Excellent idea!! but using it on a FBL 3d heli there is no need for servo outputs ( maybe for scale there is ).. So my thought was maybe a sort of FBL heli receiver that has only multiple ex ports to be able to connect to FBL unit and provide multiple telemetry ports without having to find extra space for mounting a larger receiver like the r7 REX ( which I'm going to be using..

Anyone have thoughts? Maybe I'm clearly missing something setting this heli up and there is an easier way to do this already.

John

Quick Reply