Jul 28, 2013, 10:01 PM
Thread OP
Build Log

New Freestyler 4 Build..New pics from TUDM

With all of the excitement about the impending F3B world championships, it seems like a good time to post some pics of my new FS4 build. Here are some overall shots of the plane. Wings are double carbon with spread tow outer skins and Carboline (same as the Maxa) inner skins. The result is a model that is just a bit lighter than a standard double spread tow carbon version. The wings are mega stiff!

The team at TUD executed my personal paint scheme perfectly:
Last edited by Avaldes; Jul 04, 2014 at 07:47 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 28, 2013, 10:13 PM
Thread OP
And a few more details. These planes came with LDS. It is a nice little hardware pack, along with ribs pre-installed in the wings to accept the bearings at the end of the servo arms.
Jul 28, 2013, 10:15 PM
registered weapon
WOW! So beautiful Aaron, what servo's have you decided on? That thing is gorgeous...
Jul 28, 2013, 10:37 PM
Detail Freak
Yeah, what's going in the wing bays?
Does Futaba have a new and secret wing servo that you might get to test out??

R,
Target
Jul 28, 2013, 10:44 PM
Thread OP
No secret wing servos. The standard setup works with either the JR/Graupner servos or the S3150's.

The ribs with the hole is for the bearing in the LDS setup. More pics to come as I dig into the build.
Jul 29, 2013, 12:24 AM
Eagle Butte User
Beautiful FS4 Aaron! Love build threads... Thanks for documenting it. I'm particularly interested in seeing how the LDS bits go in the wing.

Cheers,

Vic
Jul 29, 2013, 12:25 AM
F3B
What's the weight of the empty frame mate?
Jul 29, 2013, 03:03 AM
Loving the pics. & plane
Jul 29, 2013, 08:39 AM
Who actually builds this beauty?
Good luck with it.
Phil
Jul 29, 2013, 10:57 AM
F3B
It's built in the Czech Republic, by <spelling alert!> Lubos Padzerka afaik. Design by Andreas Herrig (maybe his brother also). Sold via Tud modellblauwhatsit in Germany.
Aug 23, 2013, 12:30 AM
Thread OP
I have not been able to make the progress on this build that I would have liked to, but I am starting to get back to work. The first thing I wanted to post is the measured weights of all the components and some predictions at the amount of glue I need to bond in the servo frames and the multiplex connectors. I also estimated about 2.75 ounces of nose weight. I hope it takes a little less
Aug 23, 2013, 12:40 AM
Thread OP
I was inspired by David Klein to build a low weight wire harness. It was a bit of necessity as they forgot to put the cables in the box when they shipped it. So I found some mil-spec silver plated 22ga wire with Kapton insulation. This is for use in satellite cable harnesses and is about as light as you can buy. I also splurged and bought a servo connector crimping tool and enough pins/sockets and plastic housings to build a handful of airplanes.

I used a 4-wire cable on the rx side, and after making up the first wing side harness, I decided to run separate lines to the flap servos. This is because the run was very short and splicing into the power and gnd lines made a little messier harness. I am pretty picky about the details of my wiring. This method meant that I only had one solder joint at the Multiplex connector and crimped connectors on either end.

Overall it was a great success as the complete harness for both sides weighed in at 51 grams. It saved about an ounce over a typical wire harness that comes from Germany.
Aug 23, 2013, 01:00 AM
Thread OP
Ok, on to some details on the gear. Since we are waiting for a new high peformance wing servo from Futaba, I decided to go with DS398's for the wings and DS390's in the fuselage. All were the high voltage variant, as I am using Hyperion LiFe batteries. Since switching to this battery chemistry I have been VERY happy with the reliability and performance of my batteries. As can be seen, I am installing servo frames in the wings and can swap out to the new servos as soon as they become available from Futaba later this year.

Pat at RClipos has been a great source for batteries and chargers at reasonable prices. Annette at SUSA provided the servos and Multiplex connectors for the wire harness. I bought the Kapton wires on Ebay and the servo connectors and crimping tool from Hansen Hobbies.

One detail I loved is how well the plywood mounting rails are made by TUD. They are split, with the bottom portion being glued into the wing and the top portion acting as a spacer. The purpose is to make more space in the wing so you can wiggle the servo out of the hole without the mounting rails getting in the way. They drilled the holes out correctly such that the spacer has holes drilled to clearance the mounting screws and the mounting rail has pilot holes for the servo screws. It saves a step in preparing the servos for bonding in the wings.
Aug 23, 2013, 01:34 AM
Thread OP
The fuselage build is a breeze on this plane. First I checked the alignment of the ball links on the tails. I learned this lesson on the Radical, that you want to have the ball links in just the right place so you don't get any interference with the sides of the fuse or with eachother when the tails move. Slight tweaks with a pair of pliers are all it takes to move them around.

Run the wires, bolt the servos in and cut the pushrods to length. I will bond the connectors in place to make the wings and fuselage plug-and-play.
Aug 23, 2013, 08:55 AM
Aaron,

Having built 3 of these LDS models myself, i wanted to let you know that you will need to
lightly sand the LDS hubs on the bottom where they will rest against the wing skin. I noticed
that if this is not done, it can cause binding and double centering and can lead to servo failure.

Also, make sure and file the ends of the small retaining pins to a point to make insertion into
the control surfaces much easier. A little oil in there will help also.

You will need to sand the ends of the pushrods a little as well to get them to fit between the
horns in the control surfaces as well. This another area that can cause binding and thus
double centering.

Let me know if you want to discuss installation notes, tips, and tricks for quicker and easier
less stressful of a build!

Regards,

B
Last edited by Brandon; Aug 23, 2013 at 12:42 PM.

Quick Reply