Jul 28, 2013, 04:14 PM
Thread OP
Question

Removing film covering from an ARF

If you want to do a re-cover, what is the best, simplest way to remove the factory film covering without damaging the underlying structure?
to remove ads between posts
Jul 28, 2013, 04:23 PM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
Apply liberal heat with your iron or heat gun to melt/soften the adhesive and then just pull the old covering off. It might help to cut up the film over open areas before applying heat in order to give you smaller sections to work with.
Jul 28, 2013, 04:45 PM
Hobby King Hater
What he said, and save some of the pieces. There will be spots where the glue, pigment
stay. Just stick a piece of scrap on these spots and heat and it should come off, you may
need to repeat a time or two.

It takes time.. no rushing this process.

I have done several. I get the dirty jobs...

Jul 28, 2013, 04:51 PM
Thread OP
Thank you all!
Jul 29, 2013, 07:26 AM
Some lacquer thinner or acetone will help get the last bits of backing material off woods and metals.
Keep the solvents away from plastics and similar products
Jul 29, 2013, 09:45 AM
yank and bank!!
I gently peel it off then mechanically remove residue so the structures aren't exposed to harsh chemicals.... a sanding block and careful use of a dremel tool.
Jul 29, 2013, 10:56 AM
Regular masking tape can be used to cover dark areas of covering that are too hard to remove, if you are going to cover in a light color.
Last edited by Ken Myers; Jul 29, 2013 at 01:26 PM. Reason: sp corrrection
Jul 29, 2013, 11:24 AM
...missing the PE Slope Rebels
hey Ken, howzit?
I was just doing a search on "covering removal"......I have a new Hangar9 Corsair that is itching to be converted to an F2G

thanks for the help guys
Jul 29, 2013, 02:46 PM
Redacted per NSA "suggestion"
Quote:
Originally Posted by C₄H₁₀
Apply liberal heat with your iron or heat gun to melt/soften the adhesive and then just pull the old covering off. It might help to cut up the film over open areas before applying heat in order to give you smaller sections to work with.
This, heat gun slice anywhere there is not wood, peel off in pieces while applying heat, sanding may be required to remove some coloring and glue residues.

Quick Reply