This thread is privately moderated by pdawg, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jul 28, 2013, 03:50 PM
Need 4 Speed!
Thread OP
Discussion

Visiting Edwards AFB

For aviation enthusiast Edwards AFB is about as historic as it gets. All the X-planes and the Space Shuttle call(ed) this place home. As a kid the movie "The Right Stuff" told the story of Edwards and pilots like Chuck Yeager and Scott Crossfield. These guys became instant heros of mine! And their aircraft like the X-1 Glamorous Glennis and the Douglas D-558 Skyrocket became my favorites for their looks and achievements.

Well this past week a very generous individual invited me for a once in a lifetime tour of Edwards AFB. It felt like being home! The tour include the famous X-1 pit used to load it under the B-29, the area used to test the rocket powered X-planes, the Nasa Dryden test aircraft on display, and the Edwards AFB museum. Unfortunately these historic locations and aircraft are not open to the general public. Maybe one day....but for now here are some of my pics from this special day.
Last edited by pdawg; Jul 28, 2013 at 06:01 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 02, 2013, 08:04 AM
Dont forget the velcro straps
Awesome pics bret!
Aug 02, 2013, 06:45 PM
They call me Lipo...
Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair nut
Awesome pics bret!
+1

Very, very cool....a tour through an extremely important chapter in our aviation history....a walk through arguably one of the most important places in our quest for outer space
Mar 25, 2014, 10:44 PM
Hey, Bret. Nice shot, very cool.
Sep 06, 2017, 04:25 PM
Classic jets rule
Bret I was looking at the pics from your Edwards trip . every once in a while I drive over to that spot where they ran up the the rocket plane ...what funny is the hook in the cement they held them from moving is nothing more than a piece of 3/4" rebar bent into a "U" shape ....I would have thought it would have been more high tech.

Quick Reply