Feb 05, 2004, 05:23 PM
Motorized lawn dart
Thread OP

2.5 x 2.5 square plastic tube

I am getting an old plane going again. Its an old sturdy Birdy II. I have just killed the tube over the years. They get like $26 for this 2 foot long 2.5" square tube. Its actually not quite 2.5, more like 2.3" . Everybody says "its downspout tube. Obviously they have never seen a Sturdy Birdy up close, it is not.
Next, A man on rcuniverse.com said its square downspout tube from Home Deopt. So, I went to HD today and found gutter pieces with a 2" square downtube opening. But no material. What is this and where the heck do you get it ??????????
to remove ads between posts
Feb 05, 2004, 06:31 PM
If You have an OSH (Orchard Supply Hardware) near you they have 2.5 in X 2.5 in down spout in stock. Its like $ 6.00 for 10 feet. Thats like unlimited crashes! Good luck.
Feb 05, 2004, 07:53 PM
Quote:
Obviously they have never seen a Sturdy Birdy up close, it is not.
Yep, it sure is. But...gutter pipe in 2 1/2" square (American made) and 2 3/8" square (Canadian made) is getting harder and harder to find. It used to be plentyful at any home improvment store, however, from what I understand, newer housing codes are not allowing it (why I have no idea, just info I've gotten from forums) in many areas. Most of the home improvment stores have gone to carrying the rectangular type of gutter pipe with ridged sides. It's much thinner, but, some guys have used this for model airplanes no problem. The old style 2 1/2" square stuff is still out there, you just have to look harder. The one source I'm still getting it at is ACE Hardware. You could also e-mail Dan Gipe at http://www.spadparts.com as he sells it mail order to model builders for airplanes. Another place that sells it mailorder is http://www.tandlfarm.com/
Last edited by TLAR; Feb 05, 2004 at 07:55 PM.
Feb 05, 2004, 10:24 PM
Motorized lawn dart
Thread OP
Thanks. I meant that it is not the 2x3 that another board said it was. Your right. Its the Canadian style stuff. I will check around tomorrow. Thanks, Keith
Feb 11, 2004, 09:06 AM
Try looking at ACE Hardware, that's where I got mine.
Feb 21, 2004, 12:26 AM
I just got mine at Menards. I don't know if you have one around you but I just thought I would let you know.

Brian

Quick Reply