This thread is privately moderated by choochoo22, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jul 27, 2013, 04:38 AM
Rick
Thread OP
Mini-HowTo

Guardian New User's Guide

The attached pdf is a Guide for new users of the Eagle Tree Guardian 2D/3D.

The manual is loaded with information but it seems to be hard for first time users to put the needed pieces together to complete their installation. This guide is written primarily as a how-to. It is organized in a way that should make it easy to follow at different stages and includes some things that have been learned along the way in this forum, including some suggestions for various options and FAQs as an appendix.

I'm hoping it will be useful to newcomers.
Last edited by choochoo22; Nov 28, 2013 at 03:51 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 29, 2013, 03:22 AM

Thank you Rick!

Most informative and useful. Thanx for your efforts in helping the rest of us to make most use of the Guardian
cheers Lasse
Aug 01, 2013, 04:05 PM
Thanks Rick just downloaded it and will study it along with the user manual Craig
Aug 08, 2013, 06:06 PM
Crash 'em if you got 'em
Perfect timing - Thanks
Aug 13, 2013, 08:45 PM
Got it thanks to all gizzmo fozzy
Oct 18, 2013, 09:45 PM
Need a bigger runway
This should be required reading for anyone that purchases one of these.

I tried it on a 30cc gas RV8 last week (on the ground..with engine off) and the behavior was unpredictable. I have one of my elevator servos on a servo reverser, so I think there is some interference here.

Put it on a smaller nitro Phoenix edge with a normal setup and seems to be behaving as prescribed. Can't wait to test it in the morning.

choochoo22 thanks for writing this up. Way more clearer than the packaged instructions.

Regards, Sandy
Dec 08, 2013, 05:52 PM
65 years of RC flying
First flights with Guardian in a Polaris today were totally successful. I did it just from the instructions, but wish I had discovered the Guide earlier, as it would have greatly simplified the task.

I read the Guide just after coming back from my second flying session of the day with Guardian and found it extremely clear and helpful. It resolved a number of the questions I still had.

Thank you for the effort and congratulations on an excellent piece of work.
Dec 09, 2013, 05:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by choochoo22
The attached pdf is a Guide for new users of the Eagle Tree Guardian 2D/3D.

The manual is loaded with information but it seems to be hard for first time users to put the needed pieces together to complete their installation. This guide is written primarily as a how-to. It is organized in a way that should make it easy to follow at different stages and includes some things that have been learned along the way in this forum, including some suggestions for various options and FAQs as an appendix.

I'm hoping it will be useful to newcomers.
Hi Choocoo!

Spent much time now fixing aircrafts without the Guardian!

Have 2 to test in the garage.

Will read Manual intesivly!
Med vänliga hälsningar
Lasse
Feb 05, 2014, 10:25 PM

failure to set trims & level flight settings

I've now operating my Guardian in its second plane. Everything worked fine in the first plane (a sportster) and I wanted to try the Guardian in a more aerobatic 3D plane. The problem now is that although the system worked fine for a few flights, the system now isn't giving back the comforting control surface "twitch" that is the nominal response after resetting the trims and level flight settings with the 3D-2D toggled "gesture" on power-up.
What is now happening: with the Guardian off, all the control surfaces are properly neutral. However in both 2D and 3D modes, the horizontal elevator moves to a slight nose down condition and the ailerons, to a definite roll-right neutral setting (no control inputs). The plane is positioned to be pretty close to level in pitch and roll, as required for this step.
When the Guardian was operating properly, I could flick the Mode switch between its three positions and the control surfaces wouldn't move. In this situation, the plane is not safe to fly. Can someone help me diagnose and rectify this problem?

San Pedro Pete
Feb 07, 2014, 09:24 PM
What a great service! You are a teacher: able to explain clearly, with great analogies to help understanding. Thank you so much for your time and trouble.
Feb 07, 2014, 09:42 PM

original problem - root cause found and fixed!

I kept notes during the setup of the Guardian to my planes and recommend that notes be taken and kept. What really helped was having a Pulse Width monitor (no longer carried by Radio South but there are others) to help set up the Mode commands properly using the nominal Pulse Widths specified in the ET tech notes.

The root cause of the problem I encountered: on the transmitter I used, one of the three positions on the three position switch had its Pulse Width modulated by a slider switch. I noted the correct position during setups but inadvertently moved the slider to the wrong extreme. Once the slider was back in the correct position, the Guardian now responds properly as in the past.
Feb 26, 2014, 11:40 PM

Gain question

Rick, I have found your manual to be quite helpful and informative. I do have one question. In the Eagletree manual it says to set the individual gain pots to max and begin with master gain backed completely off. Your recommendations are different. Has your practical experience found these to be very common workable starting points or is there more to it? Thank you for a very helpful guide. I am new to the sport and must agree that a 2D heading hold landing, even in a cross wind, is a sight to behold.
Apr 03, 2014, 07:42 AM
Gravity is patient............
Thanks for this great manual clarifying the use of the Guardian. It is greatly appreciated.

I have had some experience with the guardian now and I have had two experiences in flight that directly contradict what you say in the manual regarding landings and take offs and the modes to be used (2D or 3D).

What you said is no doubt correct the majority of the time, but I thought I would share two situations where taking off in 3d or landing in 2d are a really bad idea.

I have a small wing (TBS CAIPI) which is fairly underpowered. This is on purpose to maximize flight times (it is for FPV). However it makes hand launches quite difficult, because unless you have a gun for an arm, the plane is just a hair above stall speed for about 5 seconds after launch until the motor bites and the plane accelerates.. If you attempt to launch in 3d and miss the correct pitch angle just slightly too high the wing will quickly tip stall and crash. However launches with this wing in 2d are very easy and 100% safe. Since it will keep the plane level and allow it to accelerate more quickly than if it was trying to gain altitude immediately. Once the plane is safely above stall I can switch off the Guardian or go into 3D mode and gain altitude rapidly completing the launch.

The second situation involves landings in 2D, with this same wing in fact. As I stated earlier It is a small wing and I was flying in high winds (dumb I guess but I had the Guardian!). I decided to land in 2D mode. As I made my final approach a strong gust of wind blew the wing almost instantly 30ft off line (it was still level, just shoved sideways) and had it heading directly towards a brick wall. My natural instincts were to go full power and abort the landing. However because I was close to the wall it required a nearly vertical pull out maneuver, which of course the 2D mode did not allow. You can guess the rest. The plane flew into the wall at top speed causing a lot of damage. Had I been in 3D mode I would have easily avoided the wall. Turning out was not an option as there were trees on either side of the wall which were too close to miss.

So with this particular setup, I have found it much better to launch in 2d and land in 3d (in windy conditions).

Just thought I would share the exception that proves the rule.

Thanks for all of your great work!
Bill
Apr 03, 2014, 08:24 AM

question on flight experience (2D)

Billyd60, interesting accounts you post. I do have a followup question on the second flight experience you described. The observation was made that the
Guardian in 2D mode did not allow a "near vertical pullout" and
the plane subsequently impacted a wall.

My observation: if you had pulled back stick, you would have broken out of 2D flight mode and been able to maneuver normally, i.e. in an uncompensated manner.
Applying full power would have been necessary to climb steeply, of course.
Have I missed something?

Pete Y
Apr 03, 2014, 08:31 AM
Gravity is patient............
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwyoung
Billyd60, interesting accounts you post. I do have a followup question on the second flight experience you described. The observation was made that the
Guardian in 2D mode did not allow a "near vertical pullout" and
the plane subsequently impacted a wall.

My observation: if you had pulled back stick, you would have broken out of 2D flight mode and been able to maneuver normally, i.e. in an uncompensated manner.
Applying full power would have been necessary to climb steeply, of course.
Have I missed something?

Pete Y

In 2D mode the plane's attitude is restricted from normal behavior. It won't allow you to loop or go vertical (but perhaps there are settings effecting this). In this case the plane was moving rather quickly, because I wasn't planning on touchdown for another 150 feet or so. The wall was off to the side of my intended landing line but well short of where I intended to touchdown. But even with fairly good speed and full throttle the plane didn't get much past about 30 to 45 degrees and hit the wall.

Quick Reply