This thread is privately moderated by Tom B 1956, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jul 26, 2013, 07:56 AM
Ahh another money pit. :)
Thread OP
Build Log

My new Bixler 2 Kit version build

I have started a build on a Bixler 2 Kit.

Parts list in addition to the kit

Motor

D2826-6 2200kv, There has been allot of discussion over this motor. I am going to use mine for a fun fly light acrobatics and camera platform. So the Payload will always be light. If I was going to put a full autopilot system or Autopilot/FPV Heavy payload in the airframe I would choose a lower KV motor but staying in the D2826 class of motor. And swing a larger prop for lift capability.

Motor mount

I purchased a Small part CNC motor mount for Bixler 2 and will pin the tube.

ESC

Pretty easy to figure which one will work the best. you can use ecalc to get to a close figure then up it by 25% and you should never have an issue. The D2826-6 is capable of 342Watts to achieve this you need to swing a 7x3 prop using a 3s Lipo batttery around 40C. The motor and a 7x3 prop will only carry about 50% of the ESC I am going to use. HK Plush 60 amp.

Prop master screw 7x 3 prop

Servos
2 aileron servo's Metal gear.
4 HXT 900 for Flaps,elevator and rudder.

Clamps
to be added to wing to hold wings to fusealge.

Surface changes.

Extended the rudder by aprox 1" covered in yellow trim, Vertical stab 2 3mm CF tubes inserted from the bottom of the stab, A 3mm tube in the horizonal stab the strengthen it. No mod to elevator. The elvator and rudder servos moved aft place where the diameter is about the same as servos layed across the center line of fuselage. CF tube in each servo tube and the stock one in the bottom to arrest tube twist.

Rudder trimed out with blue trim. HK decals removed. No offense meant HK.

Landing Gear

Mains from HK for the Bixler Mount provided.
Tail wheel is dubro product steerable attached to rudder by thin wire going through the hinged edge of the elevator.

Add my own Color scheme to the wings and fuselage.
Last edited by Tom B 1956; Jul 26, 2013 at 02:25 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 29, 2013, 07:58 PM
Thread OP

The beginning. Tail, elevator and wing

Well it is great sadness that I have tell everyone that my ex wife's son passed away this last week. My step son still to this day and forever. May you rest in peace. I miss you, love you and wish you were still here.

I had to do something there's not much for me to do except to wait for the arrangements to be made. So I started back on the Bixler. I have done some and wanted to share.

The Rudder was extended. The elevator. I added a 3mm cf tube to the elevator. And I found away to secure the wing to the fuselage. Since I am using a 8mm cf rod it happens to be just the right size for a #2 electrical spice. It fits the external circumference perfectly. It's aluminum so cutting it in 2 was easy. Then I choose a location near the fuselage and trimmed it into place. The rod holes have been reamed out to fit the 8mm rod. Big screw heads are easy to tighten and loosen to allow the wing to be broke down for transport.

Next install servos and glue the tube coves on.

Till next time. Tom B.
Aug 03, 2013, 06:05 AM
Suspended Account
Looks great! Thanks for sharing.
Aug 03, 2013, 07:24 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by porcia83
Looks great! Thanks for sharing.
Thanks I will be adding more to this soon.
Aug 03, 2013, 07:32 AM
Suspended Account
Excellent, good to hear. This last version is the best yet of all of the other ones available, Sky surfer etc, and even the Easystar. I don't think you can get better product for the money. The RTF set up was just released/restocked, got an e-mail on it yesterday. Went to look into it, at least 55.00 to ship. I just can't pull the trigger on that.

Love seeing all the mods and upgrades though, most seem to be FPV in nature.
Aug 04, 2013, 11:35 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by porcia83
Excellent, good to hear. This last version is the best yet of all of the other ones available, Sky surfer etc, and even the Easystar. I don't think you can get better product for the money. The RTF set up was just released/restocked, got an e-mail on it yesterday. Went to look into it, at least 55.00 to ship. I just can't pull the trigger on that.

Love seeing all the mods and upgrades though, most seem to be FPV in nature.
I agree shipping is a stopper. Why so much. You must be somewhere duties are high.

Yes most mods are for FPV. I am doing the mods for fun and performance enhancement. I have 4 motors to mount and test and play with. Moving servos for space for larger battery.

D2826-6 2200kv
D2826-10 1400kv
NTM 2826 1350kv
NTM 2826 1200kv

I think that the power use and flight duration will be what the biggest diference will be. Listed from shortest duration to longest duration. Props 7x3 to 7x5.
Aug 06, 2013, 02:37 AM
Thread OP

Little things that I want to do.

I just didn't want to stuff servo extensions in the wing. So I am replacing existing servo wires with longer runs. Soldering the new wire in about 6in beyond the butt of the wing. So 4 servos have been opened and new wire added. Waiting on connectors, pins and crimper. Going to use extensions for elevator and rudder. Need to start fuselage next.

Things to do.

Finish up wings. Trim and attach servos. Glue tube cover in. Will use epoxy from the tips to the aileron servo. Need to ensure its as close to being one piece at the tip of tube runs. Will use provided glue between ailerons and end side of the wing.
Fuselage:

Remove bump in the hatch area to allow larger battery. Cut new servo holes. Cut an opening above the wing for ESC and extend the battery wires to reach forward.
Install CNC motor mount, set receivers final location run antennas to the outside of the fuselage and set diversity. Glue fuselage together not sure if I will glue it or tape it.

Landing gear mount from hobby king would block the ability to move battery back aft for balance. So I need to modify the mounting of the mains. Tail wheel installation has to wait till fuselage half's are glued together. May have to pull. Rudder loose from the vertical stab to add tail wheel linkage up through the elevator hinge points. This sounds like allot to do for a cheap foam platform. But it's going to carry a 300.00 in video cameras. I just can't replace that stuff without cutting something else.

And I am having fun doing this.

More to come.

Tom B.
Aug 06, 2013, 04:52 PM
Gone Flying
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom B 1956

And I am having fun doing this.
To me this is what is all about! Great project. Getting tips for my next Bixler build.
Aug 08, 2013, 05:23 PM
Thread OP

Elevator, Rudder servos and steerable tail wheel

So I have been getting more done.
Cut the servos holes for their new position. Mocked up of tail wheel nstallation . Not sure if linkage for tail wheel will be strong enough but to get much turning power lots of flex but I didn't want it ridged either. Whatever it ends up being it will be more than what HK sells. Going to start main landing gear next. Thinking build a hinged mount it can collapse forward instead ripping the mount out. I need to look for a picture of the one I want to use then bend HKs main gear to slide I from the front of the bixler.

Also Just received servo pins and connectors in the mail.

The Bixler is a good plane out of the box. These mods are being done for fun and learning. I hope you like what you see.

Tom B.
Last edited by Tom B 1956; Aug 08, 2013 at 05:28 PM.
Aug 12, 2013, 05:38 PM
Thread OP
Last minute changes. Changed Esc to 50amp cheeta. Also removed spring connection between rudder and tail wheel. Still can flex but returns to center where the other did not. Also tail wheel mounting used 3mm cf rod as pins through mounting holes and epoxied it all in. This is now solid as it can be in a foam base. Used piano wire from rudder to tail wheel much better result.

Landing gear. I built a different mouse trap for this one. Bent landing gear mounting (wire) 90 degrees epoxied a backplate to mount to leaves electronics bay open. Sandwiched in the 1/8 ply so HK's plastic landing gear mount now laying flat against the fuselage.

Tom B.
Last edited by Tom B 1956; Aug 13, 2013 at 01:18 AM.
Aug 13, 2013, 11:07 PM
Gone Flying
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom B 1956
Last minute changes. Changed Esc to 50amp cheeta. Also removed spring connection between rudder and tail wheel. Still can flex but returns to center where the other did not. Also tail wheel mounting used 3mm cf rod as pins through mounting holes and epoxied it all in. This is now solid as it can be in a foam base. Used piano wire from rudder to tail wheel much better result.

Landing gear. I built a different mouse trap for this one. Bent landing gear mounting (wire) 90 degrees epoxied a backplate to mount to leaves electronics bay open. Sandwiched in the 1/8 ply so HK's plastic landing gear mount now laying flat against the fuselage.

Tom B.
I would love to see the bottom of the landing gear mount. Great job!
Aug 14, 2013, 12:50 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechJunkieRC
I would love to see the bottom of the landing gear mount. Great job!
I should have posted a picture of the bottom. So thanks for reminding me and for looking.

Tom B.
Aug 19, 2013, 02:40 AM
Thread OP

Almost done

Ok I'm slow haven't had a lot of time also had to redo the ESC now back to the 60amp plush.

Installed motor. Decided on the NTM 2826-1350kv. Full power test. 18.8 amps Mr Watt meter. Thrust 695 grams indicated by micro mark pull meter With an 8x6 Apc e prop. Not bad.

Installing elevator and rudder. Maiden flight tomorrow maybe.
Aug 19, 2013, 02:18 PM
Thread OP
Maiden flight today. Because I have moved everything out of the battery area the 2250 battery isn't enough wieght so it was a little tail heavy. So on the third flight I didn't have enough throttle on on final turn and stalled and had a hard landing. First 1/2" of the Nose is slightly wrinkled. And the canopy came off and hit the prop now canopy is missing a chunk. New one ordered and I will add more wieght to the nose. A little bit more wieght is need there. To have not ballon at slow speeds.

Tom B.
Last edited by Tom B 1956; Aug 21, 2013 at 10:32 AM.
Sep 07, 2013, 05:55 PM
Thread OP
I have been flying this for a while now. With pulse 2250 Lipo I have to add about two ounces of lead to the nose. Put a 3300 in it and it balances just right. I been playing around with motors. Since it is heavier than a regular Bix 2. Landing gear and moving the servos back also moving the ESC to the top of the wing and a steerable tail wheel the nose was very light hence the extra weight had to be added to the nose. Back to motors all of them are HobbyKing motors. Either NTM or Turnigy. First motor I had on it was the 2826-1350kv with 8 X 6 prop. That motor is about right for the load it is pushing will cause wing flutter at WOT in to the wind. But it's manageable. Then I got this wild Idea I put on a 2836-1400kv on it using an 8 x 6 APC prop produce's 1150 grams of thrust. At 28 amps. Well lets say Vertical is no problem. Can fly around below half throttle for 20 mins with the 3300 or 15 with the 2250's. Wing flutter is really bad at WOT level flight well before max air speed the motor wants to push it up to. Going to get two more #2 electrical splices which just happen to fit the 8 mm rod I am using as a wing spar perfectly and install them in each wing at the ends of the rod tubes. To see if I can arrest the wing flutter some or at least delay the on set till closer to max air speed. But with this motor it is a blast to fly. Don't get me wrong I like to get up high and glide it to. But it is also fun to make it do what it wasn't designed to do too. So I also have the 2826-2200 6x4 prop for it and a 2826-1400 7 x5 prop for it. Will report thrust and amps for those setups later once install them in the plane.

Landing gear comment. I used the HK landing gear right at the mounting point I bent it 90 degrees and sandwich it in to 1/4 plywood encapsulating the plastic mount into the ply then bolted it in. the firsts day nose in the landing gear mounting was even bothered by it. Even though I bent the left hand gear back two inches or more. Very happy with results.

Tom B.
Last edited by Tom B 1956; Sep 07, 2013 at 06:04 PM. Reason: Added a side note

Quick Reply