This thread is privately moderated by bmiller, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jul 26, 2013, 01:06 AM
SoCal, Year Round Flying!
Thread OP
Discussion

Habu32 JF80 8S4000s

So I've been flying this for 2plus years using 7S on the stock fan/motor which has worked very well but its time for more speed and a better sounding fan!

Got a Jetfan80 from Gary at effluxRC during LAJets2013. He didn't have the motor I wanted at the show but told me to check the website and pm him.
Worked out well as I was wanting a het 700-68-1746 at the time. I installed the fan using my 700-68-1680 so I could play around with the CG of the H32.
I realized the 700 series is a heavy chunk of metal, complete overkill for my planned 8S setup. I decided on the HET 650-58-1746 saving around 100gms of weight. Checked with Gary and he had that motor. ordered Tuesday nite, got it Thursday! started on it at 5pm finished after 9pm. Lots of soldering, motor wires extended, 4mm bullets, CC proBEC, swapped ICE100 for my ICE120hv in case I want to try 9 or 10S
CG perfect with batts moved forward slightly, BEC and ESC side by side under battery tray so I can still move them back if I try 9S or 5000s. Is it Saturday yet!
to remove ads between posts
Jul 28, 2013, 01:14 AM
Thread OP
2 flights today. Its awesome! Great sound and performance. Vertical is ridiculous. Our fields 400ft ceiling is much too low. Raced against a friends jepe piranha and won. Extremely close though. Needless to say both jets are fast. Landings were faster with the heavier auw but i'll just have to use flaps. Didnt use them much with the old setup.
Jul 28, 2013, 06:54 AM
Thread OP
Downloaded the ESC log(a first for me)
Shows a max 101.4A 3064W at takeoff and settled to 90A 2600W
which exactly what the JF chart stated.
IIRC the stock fan/motor 6S was 1400W and 7S was 1800W so this is a quite a power boost.
Aug 12, 2013, 08:38 PM
Thread OP
Probably 10 flights on it now, it's a blast! but it's definitely heavier so I have to use the flaps to keep the landings soft/nice.
I did find an unexpected snap roll in it during a (too slow at the top) split S maneuver. With lots of elevator applied it snapped into a vertical dive but I was high enough to let it regain some speed and control and pull out before hitting the ground but it was kinda nerve racking. The lighter version never did that on me.
Sep 02, 2013, 03:27 AM
Thread OP
Got a flight in yesterday in really bad gusty winds.
Low level passes were tough in the turbulant conditions, kept get blown around but dwnwind passes were around 175mph! Fastest this jets ever gone. Lol
Timer went off, wheels down turned for final approach the wind was blowing it wide and she was way out and started to sink and controls got mushy. Losing sight of her behind the trees...knew it was level so powered up with up elevator and she reappeared! Got to the runway going way too fast and the gusts were trying to flip her over, did a hard 3point landing and the nosegear folded, slid to a stop lost alittle paint under the nose but that's it. Lucky to get her back.
Trunnion broke, I had a spare so she ready for more tomorrow!
Sep 02, 2013, 11:36 PM
Thread OP
Perfect conditions today. Checked my expo settings and none on the ailerons?? Weird. Dialed in 25% and took off, nice and smooth now.
Had an audience today so I did what amounts to a demo flight with hi speed low level passes to split s to a huge loop, power off flybys and a ridiculous vertical past the ceiling limit with death spiral back down thenasmooth landing. Man this jets fun!
Nov 04, 2013, 02:31 AM
Thread OP
Nov 3: Flew it today at the Big Jolt event, it was very slow taking off and the first lap seemed to be staggering thur the air then it got somewhat better. thought maybe the dinogy packs needed more cycles or something. anyway zoomed around for 3.30 and landed. Packed up and headed to my normal field at Fairview, Put in my Glacier packs and went to takeoff but halfway down the runway I was at full throttle and the jet was not accelerating so I aborted. Checked it out and the stock mylar exhaust tube had split at the glue seam and was blocking 80% of the exhaust flow. Removed tube, clear taped it and reinstalled, took off and everythings back to normal. I was really lucky I didn't crash this thing at big jolt!

Quick Reply