Aug 16, 2013, 09:50 PM
Rsetiegerd Uesr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomdomification
That's also what I'm worried about. How do I get this plane back if it gets stuck out there, either from a bad landing or from a flat battery? How likely is it that this would happen?
Swim? Inflatable boat? Wind?

I always make sure I have $20 cash in my wallet when I go fly. The lake I fly from nearly always has some people fishing in small boats.

I have yet to get a plane stuck out there, but I'm sure it'll happen eventually. I did have my Toledo Special tip up on it's nose bad. But it landed back on it's floats instead of going over.

-J
to remove ads between posts
Aug 17, 2013, 12:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberJay
Swim? Inflatable boat? Wind?

I always make sure I have $20 cash in my wallet when I go fly. The lake I fly from nearly always has some people fishing in small boats.

I have yet to get a plane stuck out there, but I'm sure it'll happen eventually. I did have my Toledo Special tip up on it's nose bad. But it landed back on it's floats instead of going over.

-J
Thanks. The problem with where I'd likely be flying, is that the water isn't suitable for swimming or boating. The wind and not getting stuck in the first place would be my most likely options. Or a retrieval RC boat :-)
Aug 17, 2013, 10:13 AM
Electric Coolhunter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomdomification
That's also what I'm worried about. How do I get this plane back if it gets stuck out there, either from a bad landing or from a flat battery? How likely is it that this would happen?
At every float fly in I go to, there are several models dunked, so it does happen.

If you do not have a boat to go out in, there are a few other options. Some sort of RC boat can often be used. A rod and reel with a large float can be cast over the model to pull it in to shore.

Some small ponds are shallow enough to wade for a retrieve.

Something like a pusher airboat with a couple of prongs, one on each side of the bow, seems to work the best as a retrieval boat.
Latest blog entry: RC events for 2019!
Aug 17, 2013, 01:16 PM
above us only sky
Thread OP
Now this is interesting. Separate tail/fuse!!! Just ahead of where the break occurs on the 53" Icon. I expect I'll be ordering a few of these.
Last edited by Renfield; Oct 19, 2013 at 09:30 PM.
Aug 17, 2013, 06:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas B
At every float fly in I go to, there are several models dunked, so it does happen.

If you do not have a boat to go out in, there are a few other options. Some sort of RC boat can often be used. A rod and reel with a large float can be cast over the model to pull it in to shore.

Something like a pusher airboat with a couple of prongs, one on each side of the bow, seems to work the best as a retrieval boat.
Thanks! I might have to build myself a little RC boat :-)

It's good to see the right spare parts being available. Hopefully the prices remain reasonable for Australians.

I hate waiting for all these planes to hurry up and come out! I keep on going places and imagining where I could fly them :-D

Tom
Aug 19, 2013, 04:57 AM
filmed the un-boxing today and as a bonus the wind dropped off this evening and i filmed it on the ground with the wheels on, no racing car steering but enough to keep it straight on take off. Then decided to see if it would slide on the grass like i was asked and low and behold it took off so a little of the maiden flight off grass too
Mind you no Corinne to film it's just on the tripod so fingers crossed we got some of it, i'm about to down load the lot and start editing, with any luck it will be up tomorrow
Oh 300 mAh miniaviation battery fits the 210 mAh a tight squeeze The Babble Batt 240 mAh fits nice but the 325 will take some work

well thats it from me for now, better get editing after i have some dinner

cheers chuck
Aug 19, 2013, 06:59 AM
above us only sky
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas B

Or another Icon.

I've retrieved the HK Icon with the PZ when I was too lazy to paddle. It is a pusher, after all.

Another reason to buy two!
Aug 19, 2013, 11:46 AM
Electric Coolhunter
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckTseeker
filmed the un-boxing today and as a bonus the wind dropped off this evening and i filmed it on the ground with the wheels on, no racing car steering but enough to keep it straight on take off. Then decided to see if it would slide on the grass like i was asked and low and behold it took off so a little of the maiden flight off grass too
Oh 300 mAh miniaviation battery fits the 210 mAh a tight squeeze The Babble Batt 240 mAh fits nice but the 325 will take some work

cheers chuck
Chuck, many thanks for the very early report. I was certain that it would ROG (Grass) gearless as well as ROG in general with the gear, despite some posted doubt by someone else earlier. It will simply depend on a semi decent grass surface.

And thanks for the battery fit roundup as well!
Latest blog entry: RC events for 2019!
Aug 19, 2013, 06:06 PM
Well here at last is the first UM Float Plane from Parkzone, the Icon A5 with AS3X and what a beauty it is. Scaled on the full size, this plane is a real stunner. This is the second Parkzone Plane to have a Brushless Motor with the ever reliable 2500Kv 180 Motor. I was asked to check out how it handled on the ground with the wheels on and no steering + if it would slide on Grass. No Corinne to film this but i got some footage that should answer all those questions, with the Icon A5 taking to the air from the slide takeoff, So sit back and have a 10 minute break while you check out this great new release

cheers chuck

Parkzone Ultra Micro Icon A5 Un-Boxing/Review + Bonus Flight Of Grass (10 min 1 sec)
Aug 19, 2013, 06:53 PM
"I've got no one to film it, so I think I better just land..." *Clip ends, clouds shift in background because he cut out 5-10min of flying time.* Landing shown.

Nice try Chuck, but we all know you couldn't resist flying it around once it was in the air!

Thanks for the review! Look forward to the full flight report!
Aug 19, 2013, 08:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firehawk989
"I've got no one to film it, so I think I better just land..." *Clip ends, clouds shift in background because he cut out 5-10min of flying time.* Landing shown.

Nice try Chuck, but we all know you couldn't resist flying it around once it was in the air!

Thanks for the review! Look forward to the full flight report!
haha yes i did a few laps but it was not in the cameras view, and i new you wouldn't want to see the grass grow so i edited out the bits with no plane in them. The battery i used was my Miniaviation 300mAh, it took 180mA when i charged it, now that was from the videos binding, motor run up, the steering test which i cut a lot of the boring bits out and then the flight, so as you can see, it couldn't have been too long in the air but it did fly nice

cheers chuck
Aug 20, 2013, 07:20 AM
above us only sky
Thread OP
Nice preview. Thank you Chuck!

So it looks like they formed the flap outlines. I won't be trying to add them at this size.

Slots in the canopy top and a hole in the bottom? Slots in the servo covers?!? Has HH discovered some new waterproofing system? And the number of canopy slots tripled since the online photos were done. This should be interesting.

There's no way the electronics are staying dry with this setup.
Last edited by Renfield; Aug 20, 2013 at 08:53 AM.
Aug 26, 2013, 04:43 PM
above us only sky
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckTseeker
Well here at last is the first UM Float Plane from Parkzone, the Icon A5 with AS3X and what a beauty it is. Scaled on the full size, this plane is a real stunner. This is the second Parkzone Plane to have a Brushless Motor with the ever reliable 2500Kv 180 Motor. I was asked to check out how it handled on the ground with the wheels on and no steering + if it would slide on Grass. No Corinne to film this but i got some footage that should answer all those questions, with the Icon A5 taking to the air from the slide takeoff, So sit back and have a 10 minute break while you check out this great new release

cheers chuck

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzZvMkIfLX8
If its Monday here, is it time for a Chuck-update? can Corinne's video be far behind?

What do you like and what do you wish they had done differently?
Aug 26, 2013, 05:34 PM
flat out with other stuff at the moment, but we did get one flight in on the weekend, i won't be able to get the editing done till later this week though.

cheers chuck
Aug 26, 2013, 05:49 PM
Are the wings removable on this model?

Quick Reply