Aug 07, 2013, 04:31 PM
above us only sky
Thread OP
I can't stop watching the video. What did you write?
to remove ads between posts
Aug 07, 2013, 06:28 PM
Electric Coolhunter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Eichstedt
I know it looks like this, but the driving factor was that the wing is thinner. One of the by-products of going with a thin, stamped-foam wing vs. an injection-molded EPS construction with near-scale thickness. It makes the nacelle look a lot taller.

Here's the video we just posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQryz...ature=youtu.be
That makes a lot of sense. Still could have brought the motor and fairing down a bit and hit the look a bit closer if the planned prop had a touch more clearance/less diameter, but not an unreasonable design compromise at all in my opinion.

Exactly the sort of compromise that sometimes must be done to hit that balance between appearance and performance and producibility. The tinier the model, the more compromises that must be made.

Still looks VERY nice.
Latest blog entry: RC events for 2019!
Aug 08, 2013, 06:31 PM
Parkzone junkie
The main UMX Icon thread is here:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1963282

-Brian
Aug 09, 2013, 06:17 AM
above us only sky
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmon
The main UMX Icon thread is here:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1963282

-Brian
"Main?" How do you figure?

Us waterplane fliers like to keep our waterplanes in one convenient thread called waterplanes. Look around and you'll find plenty of Icon talk in this section.

UM is an insignificant detail.
Aug 09, 2013, 06:36 AM
Parkzone junkie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renfield
"Main?" How do you figure?

Us waterplane fliers like to keep our waterplanes in one convenient thread called waterplanes. Look around and you'll find plenty of Icon talk in this section.

UM is an insignificant detail.
Just wanted to let everyone know there was another thread. For some reason there are always 2-3 threads about each plane. And once the plane is out and people are buying it there will be questions. And knowing that there is a good possibility that a question has been asked and answered somewhere will save them time.

I said main because it was started first and has over 20 pages of posts already.

Just wanted to make it easier for people to find answers and get help is all.

-Brian
Aug 09, 2013, 08:00 AM
It flies very fast all the time in the video that shows a real one, the big model and maybe this little one.

Even the hand launch showed it being heaved hard and fast then it didn't climb steeply like an UMX model, it actually dropped until its speed was fast enough to fly level.

Two pieces of foam can be added where the wheels plug for a flat bottom. Then it will be stable on grass takeoffs (IF it can make a grass takeoff).

I saw an Archer at the park that flew like a brick. This Icon A5 might fly the same.
Aug 09, 2013, 09:38 AM
Electric Coolhunter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audioguru
It flies very fast all the time in the video that shows a real one, the big model and maybe this little one.

Even the hand launch showed it being heaved hard and fast then it didn't climb steeply like an UMX model, it actually dropped until its speed was fast enough to fly level.

Two pieces of foam can be added where the wheels plug for a flat bottom. Then it will be stable on grass takeoffs (IF it can make a grass takeoff).

I saw an Archer at the park that flew like a brick. This Icon A5 might fly the same.
I have to say I disagree with pretty much all you are saying and am wondering if we watched the same video ...

Point by point.

It did not fly fast all the time. Right after the first water takeoff, the pilot throttled back and made a much slower circle or two, proving it does not have to fly fast all the time.

The slight drop in altitude shown in the video from the single hand launch has much more to do with flying style and the high thrust line causing a little pitch down under full throttle and low initial airspeed than it does with power and weight. If you had ever hand launched a small Icon you would be familiar with this thrust line effect.

I fly my large Icon (larger than the PZ model) and my small HK Icon off the grass and they are perfectly stable without adding any foam to the sponsons. The nice landing performance of the uMX Icon on well groomed grass in the video strongly suggests that the ability of the model to take off from grass will be all about how short and smooth the grass is and not about adding unnessesary foam to the sponsons. Adding foam to the bottom of the sponsons will likely have a bad effect on water performance. I would never do it.
Aug 09, 2013, 10:39 AM
above us only sky
Thread OP
Quote:
Just wanted to let everyone know there was another thread. For some reason there are always 2-3 threads about each plane. And once the plane is out and people are buying it there will be questions. And knowing that there is a good possibility that a question has been asked and answered somewhere will save them time.

I said main because it was started first and has over 20 pages of posts already.

Just wanted to make it easier for people to find answers and get help is all.

-Brian
First by three hours. Wow. I'm impressed. They do have a lot more to say there.

It would be great if we could combine these forums. Alas, all we can do is dig for info. I strongly believe that putting threads about the Icon anywhere other than waterplanes is ridiculous.

So far, there's no more help in micro rtf than there is here. But feel free to check back. We're pretty well versed in all things Icon.

Cheers,
George
Aug 09, 2013, 02:56 PM
Electric Coolhunter
Nothing wrong at all with having a thread in both places... It fits both categories.
Aug 09, 2013, 03:05 PM
Parkzone junkie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renfield
First by three hours. Wow. I'm impressed. They do have a lot more to say there.

It would be great if we could combine these forums. Alas, all we can do is dig for info. I strongly believe that putting threads about the Icon anywhere other than waterplanes is ridiculous.

So far, there's no more help in micro rtf than there is here. But feel free to check back. We're pretty well versed in all things Icon.

Cheers,
George
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas B
Nothing wrong at all with having a thread in both places... It fits both categories.
I know it is forum software limitation but I really wish they could do what was suggested over there. Have one thread with entry points in each appropriate category. That way if you are looking in either location you get that one thread. That would make it easier for everyone to get info.

I'll definitely stay subbed to both threads and help out however I can. It'll be nice if there only is two threads! I'm subbed to 2 UMX mig threads, 3 Carbon Cub threads, 3 Beast Threads, and 3 Habu threads!

-Brian
Aug 09, 2013, 04:57 PM
above us only sky
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas B
+1

The voice of reason.
Aug 09, 2013, 05:01 PM
Rsetiegerd Uesr
Quote:
I know it is forum software limitation but I really wish they could do what was suggested over there. Have one thread with entry points in each appropriate category. That way if you are looking in either location you get that one thread. That would make it easier for everyone to get info.

I'll definitely stay subbed to both threads and help out however I can. It'll be nice if there only is two threads! I'm subbed to 2 UMX mig threads, 3 Carbon Cub threads, 3 Beast Threads, and 3 Habu threads!

-Brian
You really only need to follow the main thread for each...

-J
Aug 09, 2013, 05:24 PM
above us only sky
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberjay
you really only need to follow the main thread for each... :d

-j
As if.

Actually I am saddened by the utter lack of new info on either thread. We just kept our lack of knowledge to two pages instead of 20+.

This is the Readers Digest/Cliffs Notes version.

Last edited by Renfield; Aug 09, 2013 at 05:31 PM.
Aug 09, 2013, 06:22 PM
Or the other thread is the entertaining thread :-P
Aug 09, 2013, 06:59 PM
Electric Coolhunter
The discussion about it in here will, I bet, lean more towards the model as a seaplane and actually flying off the water where the other thread will be another long HH uMX thread.

I predict a better signal to noise ratio in this one, based on other uM and uMX threads I read....
Last edited by Thomas B; Aug 09, 2013 at 07:55 PM.

Quick Reply