Apr 25, 2017, 10:01 AM
Member, CRRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micubano
99% of the people I have talked to while flying either have compliments or questions. I always do my best to educate them. The 1% that I know who caused problems have been kicked out of the local parks and I haven't seen those teens in a year or two. As for that officer, did she know the dogs were scaring your plane? Our local parks have banned anything gas powered thanks to some RC jet enthusiasts with no common sense and very large jets. Electric planes of a reasonable size and speed are still allowed because there are quite a few RC pilots around who were active in making sure not everything was banned. The UMX Icon is so small and light it doesn't even require FAA registration. I would find out there is an ordinance for that park banning all RC flying or just specific types and models. If she was wrong and you see her again, educate her in the nicest way possible. If she still takes your plane, call the police on her. If she is wrong and keeps thinking she is right, that is bad for anyone into the hobby and goes to that park.

One question, what kind of dog were you scaring?
Yep, I've flown at this pond / park system since 2014 when I first got into the hobby. First learned to fly on a HH Delta Ray in the ball field next to the pond. I've had park rangers parked in their patrol car, and Boston police in their cars watching while I fly. Always had complimentary comments or questions. Never had problems with dog walkers, frisbee players, book readers, etc while flying my quiet little electrics. I also do my best to help interested folks with questions. Have given lots of talks to both kids and adults about how the planes work, with lots of patience even with the typical expected questions like "how high does it go?" Heck, I once disappointed an older couple who were hoping to see me fly, only for me to realize I had left the batteries to my UMX Spitfire on the table by the door on my way out. The gentleman was particularly curious about the Polish markings on the spit.

Normally, I'm used to leaving after having delighted a few kids or the adults they were dragging around. Heck, I've even helped a few dog walkers with exercising their pups much to their appreciation as they happily chased my planes around the field.

I'm not sure what kind of dog she had. I still had my eyes on my plane as she said all this, as I was either landing or taxiing, and she had walked off before I got back on shore. From the corner of my eyes, it looked like a smaller dog, but it wasn't barking, whining, or anything. I think it was more like the dog was curious about this strange bird flying about and the owner was the only one annoyed. Incidentally, I should mention as I walked out of there, I realized there was a crane standing idly by in the marshy area. The UMX Icon obviously didn't disturb the crane which I believe are one of the more easily startled water fowls.
to remove ads between posts
May 01, 2017, 03:15 PM
Parkzone junkie
Quote:
Originally Posted by makattack
"well, you are and I'm a police officer and will take that thing away from you if you don't leave. You should be flying out from a field."
She is so obviously not a police officer. She'd know that she just threatened Larceny/theft. Even if it was not allowed there she couldn't take the plane from you! If it were me I'd look her straight in the eyes put another battery pack in and take off again.

-Brian
May 01, 2017, 04:03 PM
Member, CRRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmon
She is so obviously not a police officer. She'd know that she just threatened Larceny/theft. Even if it was not allowed there she couldn't take the plane from you! If it were me I'd look her straight in the eyes put another battery pack in and take off again.

-Brian
Yep, not only that, if she were a LEO, and operating in an official capacity, she would have been violating my 4th Amendment rights. Coming from a combat arms environment when I was enlisted US Army, where I did a lot of urban warfare training (on an opposing forces unit) I usually try to de-escalate these types of situations with "civilians" -- if they were identified opposing forces, I'd totally escalate

It's a weird situation. I've been flying from this field and pond area since about 2014; granted, mostly in the mornings on a weekday, so this was not my usual time. Never had a problem. Have even flown with other RC enthusiasts (only heli guys). Just this past weekend, I had another fellow stop and chat. He wasn't confrontational like that woman. He was obviously a birder. He asked if I knew there were a pair of wood ducks on the other end of the pond. I mentioned no, to which he stated that he was a little worried I might be disturbing the ducks during mating season. He just mentioned he was worried I might be, and I stated, well, I've actually had the local resident hawks fly in formation with my UMX birds (the first time was quite scary as I thought the hawk was going to grab the UMX P51 I was flying around) and the Canada geese don't even get phased by them. Heck, those birds would do more damage to my foamies than my foamie to them. He was nice enough and laughed with my comments.

Maybe I'm just having a bad run of luck with animal lovers of all kinds.
May 02, 2017, 09:22 AM
Flying every chance I get!
Quote:
I've actually had the local resident hawks fly in formation with my UMX birds.
I love it when that happens. A friend was recently flying a Phantom 4 Pro when what seemed like a few scattered geese flew by. Then they got in a tight formation (to look bigger and scare the drone?) and circled the drone for a few minutes before finally flying off.
May 03, 2017, 08:12 AM
pǝʇɹǝʌuᴉ sɐʍ I ǝsnɐɔǝq
Quote:
I've actually had the local resident hawks fly in formation with my UMX birds
Once in kentucky, I flew my UMX Corsair in the yard of my grandparents house, near some purple martin nests.
Within seconds, there were birds chasing the plane, and within a minute, there were 50+ birds duking it out against my one corsair. Had at least two birds directly on my 6 at all times and the others flew in circles around it, making swooping passes from above, but they never actually caught it. One of the craziest flights I've ever had.
I flew my UMX SBach after that, but I think the extra noise and speed scared them as less came out to play.

A couple years after that, I was flying a larger glider in the same area and 3 hawks joined me. It was really neat.
May 03, 2017, 11:34 AM
I can fix that!
My buddy, and I sometimes fly in a large field owned by the University of Maine.
There are almost always deer in the field, and when the Canadian geese are migrating, there can be hundreds of geese as well.
One day some wildlife watchers tried to chase my buddy off, saying he couldn't not fly there.
Well, his daughter had been a friend of the director of the facility, so my buddy contacted him, and got an email stating that not only do we have permission to fly there, we are also encouraged to drive off the wildlife! (They get into the small test patches of corn scattered around the field)
I have a copy in the glove compartment of my pickup, and I am soooo hoping that someone tries to tell me I can't fly there.
May 11, 2017, 09:13 AM
Sad news on the full scale Icon!
http://www.popularmechanics.com/flig...s-plane-crash/

Praying for all of the Icon family...and hoping the tragedy doesn't stop the project and marketing of this unique and beautiful bird.

Tom
Jun 29, 2017, 08:05 PM

UMX Icon at the Lake

My mom lives in a private community with a lot of rules. There is a nice lake and I usually fly in one of the boat launch areas, but today I took the kids to the main beach. I asked the security guy at the beach gate if it was OK to fly there. He said no. Then I showed him my FAA registration, AMA card, local club membership card, and told him I was insured. That actually changed his mind. The swimming area (not visible but to the left of the pic) is separated from the main lake by the jetty that I took the pic on. I just kept the plane over the main lake and no one complained while I got a few flights in.
Jun 29, 2017, 08:12 PM
The king of mediocre flyin'!
Quote:
My mom lives in a private community with a lot of rules. There is a nice lake and I usually fly in one of the boat launch areas, but today I took the kids to the main beach. I asked the security guy at the beach gate if it was OK to fly there. He said no. Then I showed him my FAA registration, AMA card, local club membership card, and told him I was insured. That actually changed his mind. The swimming area (not visible but to the left of the pic) is separated from the main lake by the jetty that I took the pic on. I just kept the plane over the main lake and no one complained while I got a few flights in.
Glad Mr Security Nazi relented!

What's NOT to love about the lil ICON?

Now if you brought one of deez.....

b
Jun 29, 2017, 08:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikybob
Glad Mr Security Nazi relented!

What's NOT to love about the lil ICON?

Now if you brought one of deez.....

b
Mr. Security Nazi was about 17 years old .

The big one is what I normally bring to the boat launch areas and to public parks. I kept it small for the main beach today since I knew that was going to be my only chance to fly.
Jul 06, 2017, 11:42 PM
I just got one, and it sure dont look waterproof to me........ whats the fix? closing up the vents cant be a great idea due to heat......
Jul 07, 2017, 04:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by knall
I just got one, and it sure dont look waterproof to me........ whats the fix? closing up the vents cant be a great idea due to heat......
CorrosionX the board. Don't get it on the servos but do the board.
Jul 16, 2017, 11:15 AM
Tape over the vents. No heat issues. Leave the hatch off between flights. I dunked mine twice yesterday. Dumped the water out and let it sit in the sun for 30 minutes and it was dry. I know a lot of people do it, but I would never put oil on a circuit board.
Dec 16, 2017, 05:52 PM

Winter Flying!

Still loving the little icon. So much fun gliding over the top of the snow like water.
Dec 16, 2017, 05:53 PM
Quote:
Still loving the little icon. So much fun gliding over the top of the snow like water.
That looks wonderful!

Quick Reply