Jul 26, 2013, 04:57 PM
Chris
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNJO
Hehe, this firmware makes FPV so easy. Even I can do it.

For me, FBWA works best. It makes it nearly impossible to things up.
FBWB needs more tuning to hold altitude. I just found out how much I miss ArduCopters in-flight tuning. I hope that shows up in a later release.
Also tested RTL this evening, which worked just as advertised.
RTL-test at 00.50

About RTL; I've been through the wiki, and all parameters in MP, but I can't find a way to set RTL mode with a switch on my 9XR.
The only way seems to be having RTL as a flight mode on Ch.8.
I would like to have a "Panic Button", if something goes south, like losing video.
Anybody figured this out?
Fbw a doesn't hold alt for me... What do I need to tune?

RTL: maybe set a switch's mix to"replace" the value of the flight mode channel. Haven't tried it but I really like it.

EDIT: Did it on my 9x with OpenTx (open9x etc). Seems to work, haven't tested it on my plane though.
Last edited by cmavr8; Jul 27, 2013 at 03:39 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 26, 2013, 10:09 PM
The only R/C pilot in the city
Quote:
About RTL; I've been through the wiki, and all parameters in MP, but I can't find a way to set RTL mode with a switch on my 9XR.
The only way seems to be having RTL as a flight mode on Ch.8.
I would like to have a "Panic Button", if something goes south, like losing video.
I have Turnigy 9x. Didn't flash it yet with OpenTX.
I set 6 modes using mix of 2 switches. One of them is 3pos switch, second landing gear (they are on right side and near to each other).
The last value as far as I remember with top PWM value should be assigned to "hardware manual". Any other PWM values you can assign to RTL mode.
In case of trouble I flip both switches to down positions. I should not think in this way. Switches "to me" means "come to me" for plane. I saved my plane about 3-5 times when I lost video for some reason.

You can find video on YouTube how to program this mix on Turnigy 9x.
Jul 26, 2013, 10:11 PM
The only R/C pilot in the city
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattaya01
Another question. I have connected everything to the APM and so far it seems to work. But when I put the APM in stabilize mode, this happens:

When I roll the plane, the ailerons react
When I pitch the plane, the elevator reacts
When I yaw the plane, the rudder does NOT react

This is on the workbench, without GPS fix. Is this normal?
I have the same on ground test. Only ailerons and elevator reacts. Don't worry, it's Ok.
Jul 26, 2013, 11:07 PM
When a hobby gets a passion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpio9999
I have the same on ground test. Only ailerons and elevator reacts. Don't worry, it's Ok.
This morning I discovered if your roll the plane, in stabilized mode, the ailerons move AND the rudder moves. It is hard to see as it only moves a tiny little bit, but it does. I noticed I had to reverse the rudder to make it move in the right direction.
Jul 26, 2013, 11:12 PM
When a hobby gets a passion
Quote:
I am not using the 9X, but the Devention Devo 12S with the Deviation software. I was thinking exactly the same and came up with the following solution:

http://www.deviationtx.com/forum/3-f...-setting#12544

In my understanding, there is an open source replacement for the 9X which works quite similar to the Deviation software.
Jul 27, 2013, 03:36 AM
Chris
Thread OP
Quote:
Well, you do link to Joes post #6. What else do we need?

Much better name now.
But newbies might not find it easily, since "APM" isn't the first thing they stumble on, on their path to glory.

How about "ArduPlane for Fixed Wing on ArduPilotMega, ArduFlyer, ReadyToFlyer, HKPilot." (There's a mouthful...)
or "ArduPlane for UAV/FPV Fixed Wing on ArduPilotMega and Clones."?
Hm.. maybe "ArduPlane for UAV/FPV Fixed Wing on APM and Clones."? I mean, it's the title we're gonna see in our mail inbox all the time...
Jul 27, 2013, 03:40 AM
Done Posting, Gone Flying
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmavr8
Fbw a doesn't hold alt for me... What do I need to tune?
It's not supposed to.
It'll hold your pitch more or less level, and you use elevator input to change altitude. The nice thing is that it happens without drama.
Thr, roll and pitch are limited by adjustable values.The nice thing is that it happens without drama.

FBWB is for holding altitude, but I havent gotten my head around how to tune it properly.
Jul 27, 2013, 03:47 AM
FPV in Hawaii
Has anyone tried the new CRUISE mode yet? Does it hold altitude as well as track?
Jul 27, 2013, 03:49 AM
Quote:
EDIT: Did it on my 9x with OpenTx (open9x etc). Seems to work, haven't tested it on my plane though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpio9999
In case of trouble I flip both switches to down positions. I should not think in this way. Switches "to me" means "come to me" for plane.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattaya01
I am not using the 9X, but the Devention Devo 12S with the Deviation software. I was thinking exactly the same and came up with the following solution:
Thanks for the tips guys.
I recently replaced one of my pot.s with a 6-way rotary switch for flight modes, which muck things up a bit.
Right now, I have RTL on pos.5, just before the non-changable manual.
It works, but like Scorpio says, I want a "non-thinking" solution.
I guess a way is in that radio firmware somewhere, so I hope for some bad weather soon.
Jul 27, 2013, 03:51 AM
Quote:
Hm.. maybe "ArduPlane for UAV/FPV Fixed Wing on APM and Clones."? I mean, it's the title we're gonna see in our mail inbox all the time...
Hehe, yep. And who knows, maybe there are more clones on the way.
Jul 27, 2013, 06:17 AM
Chris
Thread OP
Quote:
It's not supposed to.
It'll hold your pitch more or less level, and you use elevator input to change altitude. The nice thing is that it happens without drama.
Thr, roll and pitch are limited by adjustable values.The nice thing is that it happens without drama.

FBWB is for holding altitude, but I havent gotten my head around how to tune it properly.
Right.... I now remember that I've tried fbwb once. It should work even without airspeed sensor but it just tried to crash my plane....
Jul 27, 2013, 06:23 AM
Chris
Thread OP
Quote:
Thanks for the tips guys.
I recently replaced one of my pot.s with a 6-way rotary switch for flight modes, which muck things up a bit.
Right now, I have RTL on pos.5, just before the non-changable manual.
It works, but like Scorpio says, I want a "non-thinking" solution.
I guess a way is in that radio firmware somewhere, so I hope for some bad weather soon.
You need to go to your flight mode channel in the mixers. Then add a line after all the others (always referring to the specific channel). This line should be something like "MAX", triggered on a switch (I used AIL as its next to the flight mode switch) and "replace". The tricky part is the weight. You need to set that to something that makes the channel output the same value your RTL flight mode outputs. Use the tx's outputs screen to roughly find the value and the use the mission planner to fine tune it.
Jul 27, 2013, 06:25 AM
Chris
Thread OP
Quote:
Hehe, yep. And who knows, maybe there are more clones on the way.
Objection!
They are not clones. They are alternative implementations of an open source hardware design.

Let me use the word "variants"
Jul 27, 2013, 06:36 AM
Quote:
Objection!
They are not clones. They are alternative implementations of an open source hardware design.

Let me use the word "variants"
Very true.
Thanks for the tip on 9XR mixing.
Jul 27, 2013, 08:33 AM
Quote:
Thanks for the tip on 9XR mixing.
Yep, spot on, Chris. Tnx.
Panic button #2 for RTL enabled on ELE Switch.
I use the AIL switch to engage/disengage whatever flight mode I have set on my rotary switch. Disengaging puts it in Manual.
Also removed all unwanted labels in the OSD today, so now all I need good weather.
Too hot to fly today, which rarely happens here...

Quick Reply