Oct 21, 2020, 05:05 PM
Up! Up! And Away!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RexGalore
GZ, So sorry to hear that your friend is doing poorly!
I know that your cooperation with him brought you both some good times.
I hope that he'll be able to get better!
Thanks, Rex! More than you know, and much more than I ever expected.

We first met in a group that liked to try new places to ride our JetSkis. Our group had a lot of great times over a few summers. He's not quite old enough to be my father, but he reminded me a lot of my father-in-law and has been just as helpful.

Then - some 22 years ago - I changed employment and moved about 120 miles with the good fortune to live on a lake. The group came out a few times, but our group drifted apart shortly after.

A few years later, he decided he wanted to retire near where he was born/raised. We found him a lot on the same lake about 10 miles down and across the river. He later built a boathouse, a shed, and then a home several years before he finally retired. He's helped with a scooter restoration, garage door installation, and probably more projects that I will ever remember. We've been friends many years.

He brought me into RC through his own love of aviation. We both bought a TX and parts and his first scratch build was awesome, but he never got it to ROG and fly. My first plane (a piece of foam board in the shape of a Delta wing) flew but I failed and repaired so much I was ready to quit.

Then he bought a DR RTF about the same time and let me pilot it after I had basically given up. Paid him back by putting it WAY up a tree several flights later. We tried and tried to get that plane down, but got lucky when a bucket truck drove by. I can only imagine the names he called me in private! It came away with a small scar that he made disappear. Shortly after he broke the nose off and fixed that in a jiffy.

(Having learned my lesson, I got my own DR and later managed to tree that one, too. You can imagine the abuse I gave myself over that.)

We both pretty much fell in love with the DR. He's one of the several people that were a part of making my first brushless DR, and he's challenged me by coming up with some interesting setup ideas that I was able to help him pursue. His EDF motored plane was quite challenging for me as assistant rather than designer. Yes, a few shared miseries, and a LOT of good times.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 26, 2020, 03:52 PM
Up! Up! And Away!
Shout out to Slumi ...

... bought some actual 2205 size (not just class) motors!

Max amp draw and thrust are now both crazy high compared to pretty much any old-school 2204s that I know of - though they aren't at the level of the even more crazy high white top 2306 motors.

If we ignore the need for bigger ESCs and batts they have only a little increased weight, but they are much more more motor than my little brush-less DRs need to fly nicely on 3S. Unfortunately none of these new motor sets are expected to run on 2S, either.

Didn't get exactly what I was looking for, but combining Halloween and clearance deals at EmaxUSA just seemed too good to pass. I almost felt greedy when I doubled my order, but fortunately remembered a birthday week excuse will work with the wife.

For anybody that cares, the RS1606 looks interesting .. has more thrust than the 2204 on 3S with a smaller prop. It's just about small enough that it might be mountable inside the nacelle (see mounts on my blog). Not clear if it will run on 2S, though won't matter to some.
Oct 27, 2020, 10:54 AM
Hi GottaZoom,

fly with the 2205 motors and you will forget about the 2204. They have so much more power, running on 3S or 4S.
I use two 40A ESC’s, but I think 2x 30A will do as well.
At banggood.com they have very lightweight ESC’s.

I still have my 1806 and 2204 motor models. But I hardly use them anymore. I probably convert everything to 2205 motors.
Now in fall and winter you need more power against the wind.
Oct 27, 2020, 12:27 PM
Up! Up! And Away!
Quote:
Originally Posted by slumi

fly with the 2205 motors and you will forget about the 2204. They have so much more power, running on 3S or 4S.
I use two 40A ESC’s, but I think 2x 30A will do as well...
Yeah, naw - power is great, but not everything.

The 2304s have similar power (2306s have even more) and were fun to try, but they fell short on making me forget how well the 2204s pair with the modified RX while meeting both the original DR "feel" on 2S with the excitement of a nice 3S option.

I'd like to try the lighter/powerful 1606s, but wonder if they will have the same feel due to their even lighter weight (with likely less torque/momentum). Also not clear if they will work well on 2S.

2205s are for a heavier, if modest, FPV build - probably not ideal for efficiency, but, yes, plenty of power.

The 2600kv motor set comes with 4x30A ESCs which should be safe for quads. Should pair well with my favorite 5x4x3 prop on 3S with DR, too. With a plane on 4S I'd upgrade these to 40A (or just limit WOT).

For 2300kv, tests at miniquad test bench suggest 30A is safe for all 5" and even their high thrust/draw 6" King Kong test prop. But if I were on WOT all the time with 6", I'd probably also upgrade to 40A to add some margin.
Oct 29, 2020, 01:33 AM
Quote:
Hi GottaZoom,

I run 2205 2600kv on 4s with 4blade bullnose props .
Its too much power for the airframe. Not stable at full power .
Hit full power too quickly & its almost uncontrollable .

Photo show what happened another Deltaray brushless was gunned it at too low height (not me , a guy I fly with)
Oct 29, 2020, 09:14 AM
Up! Up! And Away!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1101
... Photo show what happened another Deltaray brushless was gunned it at too low height (not me , a guy I fly with)
Crikey! Massive power can bring the pain.

Just changing the battery from 2S to 3S on the 2204s makes the DR a whole different plane. Acts like it doubles the thrust to weight ratio of my DR.

Moving to a 2205 lets longer/higher pitched props work better with a cooler motor, so more thrust. Moving to 4S is about another 50% increase (before considering a weight/fuel penalty).

Curious, I'm guessing he wasn't using auto-level at the time? Or, diff thrust error (especially if used for steering during ROG) could end in the same result.
Oct 29, 2020, 06:31 PM
Out Standing In The Field
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1101
I run 2205 2600kv on 4s with 4blade bullnose props .
Its too much power for the airframe. Not stable at full power .
Hit full power too quickly & its almost uncontrollable .

Photo show what happened another Deltaray brushless was gunned it at too low height (not me , a guy I fly with)
LOL! My brushless 2306 2300kv DR built from parts "bit the barbwire", too!
Took a chunk of foam out of the "neck" bottom and hung there, just like yours!
I stuck a piece of Gorilla duct tape over the hole, and it flies fine to this day.
Oct 30, 2020, 05:10 AM
Hi folks,

just fly the 2205 2300KV motors on 3S. 2x 40A ESC,
Lipo 2200mAh 3S 35C.

Here you have 500 Watt Power (2x motors).

On 4S you have over 1000 Watt, that’s probably too much.

With above configuration you get 4:30 min. flight time.

On 4S it would be much shorter or your plane becomes too heavy.

Above 3S setup is probably the limit, but it flies superb and performs in gusty winds (gyro: Eagletree Guardian).
Nov 02, 2020, 01:55 AM
4S is fine on the deltaray, you dont have to run it full throttle. It cruses along nicely at low throttle
My 4s batts are a perfect fit & perfect for CG.

Flew my Brushless Delta Ray & my Stryker on the weekend , both on 4S
Windy conditions , not alot of difference in speed.
The Stryker is significantly more stable at high speeds, and more manueverable at medium/low speed. Its also VERY noisey at high throttle. The noise of the Stryker is very annoying .
Both equally stable at slow speeds.

Delta ray is about the same speed on 4S (not alot in it) , but not stable at 4S brushless 100% throtlle.
Both equally as much fun to fly. Stryker is much better value for money .

Ive considered converting the Delta Ray to front engine , but its plenty of fun as is .
Last edited by 1101; Nov 02, 2020 at 02:03 AM.
Nov 02, 2020, 08:20 AM
Hi 1101,

tell us a bit more about your configuration.

Which lipo do you use on 4S ? How is the flight time ?
Which ESC’s do you use ?

I didn’t do 4S, because of either weight or too short flight time.

Also which motors do you use on 4S ?
Nov 02, 2020, 09:03 AM
Up! Up! And Away!
I'm curious about which motor is on the Stryker. A fuse has sat in the plastic bag in the garage for years with the idea to build it up for low and slow close-in flying.

Ended up buying a couple RS1606 3300kv motors to try/test - primarily for a Nano Goblin (future planning) but the other one might work good on a Stryker.

Unfortunately the fuse is no longer available, so not sure which way I might want to go with it.
Nov 03, 2020, 01:50 AM
Quote:
Hi 1101,

tell us a bit more about your configuration.

Which lipo do you use on 4S ? How is the flight time ?
Which ESC’s do you use ?

I didn’t do 4S, because of either weight or too short flight time.

Also which motors do you use on 4S ?
30A YEP ESCs
2205 2600kv quadcoptor motors (leght weight & small) . 5" 4 blade bullnose props
1000mAh 4s nanotech batt

The flight time is the same as 3S Brushless setup, 2 guys I fly with have similar setups they fly on 3S .
4S is actually more efficient (higher voltage =less amps)
4S doesnt suck alot of power unless you fly full throttle. The Deltaray simply cant cope with full throttle 4S , so I fly 1/2 throttle or less .
Nov 03, 2020, 01:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaZoom
I'm curious about which motor is on the Stryker. A fuse has sat in the plastic bag in the garage for years with the idea to build it up for low and slow close-in flying.

Ended up buying a couple RS1606 3300kv motors to try/test - primarily for a Nano Goblin (future planning) but the other one might work good on a Stryker.
Its the motor it came with. Low spec cheap & nasty :-)
Eflite BL10 Outrunner Motor 1920kv

some guys put much more powerfull motors on them & run 6S
Nov 03, 2020, 03:07 AM
Hi 1101,

with 4S you definitely have more power, which is measured in “Watt” == “Volt” x “Ampere”.

The 4S setup give you 2x 500 Watt == 1000 Watt.
The 3S setup give you 2x 250 Watt == 500 Watt.

But you use only 50% throttle, whereas I use 80% to 100%.
Therefor the power is probably equivalent.

I also found out, that weight influences flight time a lot.
Nov 03, 2020, 09:47 AM
Up! Up! And Away!
Quote:
... Therefor the power is probably equivalent...
Average power used.

Quick Reply