to remove ads between posts
Feb 10, 2020, 09:06 PM
Thanks Slumi,

Now I can pre-study so as to be ready when the Stab arrives in the mail. Looks easy setup, but as always, you never know until you do it.

I was looking for the Complete guide with no success, so thank you.
Feb 14, 2020, 05:50 PM
Haven’t remaidened. Lemon Stab arrived but haven’t set up yet as been too busy.

Have been thinking about CG. Mine good but it must be higher, in the vertical sense, than a regular Delta Ray due to top mounted EDF pod. Been wondering if it’s a problem.

Google says no:

“ As long as flight is coordinated, the vertical position of the center of gravity (cg) is of minor importance. It will show in issues like thrust changes, when acceleration will cause higher trim changes because of the increased lever arm between the inertial forces and the thrust forces.”
Feb 16, 2020, 05:24 AM
Well, finally got around to putting the Lemon Stab in today. Got it working with Stab off (had to reverse elevator and aileron servos) but haven’t figured out Gyro on and Autolevel yet. I have a DX7S.

I’m sure it’s all hidden somewhere in the more than 30 pages of manual/guide...
Last edited by pulluptoga; Feb 16, 2020 at 06:06 AM.
Feb 16, 2020, 09:11 PM
Up! Up! And Away!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pulluptoga
Well, finally got around to putting the Lemon Stab in today. Got it working with Stab off (had to reverse elevator and aileron servos) but haven’t figured out Gyro on and Autolevel yet. I have a DX7S.

I’m sure it’s all hidden somewhere in the more than 30 pages of manual/guide...
Take it slow and careful to test over the bench. But -if you got a Plus with AL, don't even try anything but Advanced mode (preferably with throws maxed out to 125/130/150% - depends on TX ability). You can use lower rates with other flight modes, but best if you can change mode and rates at the same time.
Last edited by GottaZoom; Feb 16, 2020 at 09:22 PM.
Feb 19, 2020, 07:04 AM
Thanks GZ. I'll figure that stuff out eventually.

For now, I think I'm ready for re-maiden. Found out why I augered in during maiden. While setting up Lemon Stab Plus, I had trouble with the left elevon servo. Turns out connection was intermittent. Fixed that.

Anyway, I'm going to go with my partially set up Lemon Stab rx. I say partially, because my DX7S trans has a two postion gear switch so at the moment I have position "0" for no stabilization, and position "1" for Autolevel. I haven't yet sorted out how to move that over to a three position switch.

My bench testing has everything working as it should. Motor responds properly to throttle and the elevons respond as they should with no stab and also with Autolevel. "Toggle gesture" thing done and seems successful.

So, my plan is to launch ROG with no stab, get to altitude and see how the Autolevel goes.

Maybe in two days if winds light.
Feb 19, 2020, 07:10 AM
As it is now...
Feb 19, 2020, 09:23 PM
Up! Up! And Away!
Quote:
...So, my plan is to launch ROG with no stab, get to altitude and see how the Autolevel goes. .
If you don't have travel range extended and Advanced mode AL, it will feel like flying in Panic mode ... very restricted throw and turns.

Used with a DX6i (also 2-pos switch), so I understand it taking some careful setup .....
Feb 20, 2020, 01:24 AM
Ok GZ. Thanks for the input. Made me do some homework.

Was already set up with Gear switch “0” giving me no stab or normal rx.

But, I found Gear switch “1” was set for Autolevel Beginner, so I’ve changed it to Autolevel Advanced.

Also set servo throws to 120% for elevator and aileron, which I assume is what I want for my elevon setup.

Winds forecast 5 knots tomorrow morning so I might be launching!
Feb 20, 2020, 02:16 PM
Up! Up! And Away!
Quote:
Ok GZ. Thanks for the input. Made me do some homework.

Was already set up with Gear switch “0” giving me no stab or normal rx.

But, I found Gear switch “1” was set for Autolevel Beginner, so I’ve changed it to Autolevel Advanced.

Also set servo throws to 120% for elevator and aileron, which I assume is what I want for my elevon setup.

Winds forecast 5 knots tomorrow morning so I might be launching!
While you're waiting, you might look at or measure the max throws in AL. If you hold the DR up over the table and roll it, the elevons should move to their max throw and you can get an idea of the max bank angle. Wouldn't be surprised if it still looks limited, but that should give you an idea of rolling ability.
Mar 01, 2020, 03:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaZoom
While you're waiting, you might look at or measure the max throws in AL. If you hold the DR up over the table and roll it, the elevons should move to their max throw and you can get an idea of the max bank angle. Wouldn't be surprised if it still looks limited, but that should give you an idea of rolling ability.
STILL haven't remaidened due to work, etc...blah...but anyway I have made some more progress and learned some new stuff.

I happened to watch a FliteTest video about mixing throttle with elevator. I suspect this plane will pitch down with increased throttle due to location of the EDF so I have set up a mix on position 1 of my Flap Mode switch. Rate is set at -10%, offset -80%. This achieves a small amount of up elevon fading in at low throttle and increasing up to full throttle.

Have played around with the model in various attitudes with the rx in Autolevel Advanced and the elevons reliably seem to react in the correct way to level the plane. I have good throws in Autolevel On or Off, so I think I should have good control.
Mar 02, 2020, 10:49 PM
Up! Up! And Away!
Quote:
.... have good throws in Autolevel On or Off, so I think I should have good control.
How are the throws commanded by the gyro in AL (banked to max throw) when compared to the manual throw for a similar turn? I can't remember if they were the same, but the DX6i didn't have a lot of extended travel range to set, either (at least not like OTX).
Mar 04, 2020, 06:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakertoanimals
Finally got around to converting my Delta Ray to brushless. Second set of brushed motors wouldn't even ROG or loop from level flight.
Simplest conversion ever if you're interested: 2 x 2204 2200 kv motors from readymaderc, 2x 20 amp esc from same company, lemon receiver with stabilizer. This is the same motor and esc used on the mini (NO, it's the NANO ) skyhunter. Dual motor xt60 connector from Flight Test (WAY too much wire, but there's room to stuff it in the front). Counter-rotating 5x4x3 quad props from dalprop (I think).
Great things about this conversion is 1) NO soldering as motors and escs came with plugs (well worth the few bucks extra IMNSHO} and 2) motors fit the EXISTING holes in motor nacelles! with the provided screws. ( ok, I only got 3 screws in but with a little work with a rat tail file I could have gotten the fourth).
Programmed with differential thrust in 5 minutes from watching first youtube video that popped up for dx6. If one wanted SAFE, you could use the new Lemon receiver for about $10 more.
Power on watt meter came out to about 270 watts WOT and 27 or 28 amps total.
I hardly ever go above 50% and had to use exponential on throttle for the first time to decrease sensitivity at low end.
Oh, 1300 3s battery. I removed maybe a half inch of foam from back of compartment to get the battery a wee bit further back and cg is fine. Timer is set to 5 min for sport aerobatics with landing at right around 3.7 V per cell or a bit higher. This thing will take off from THICK grass and upon rotation essentially goes vertical.
Total time was 3 - 4 hours and I took my time getting motor direction right before locking nacelles down. Had to carve just a bit of foam to get motor wires thru channels from escs to battery. Escs are quite large for 20amp these days but they do fit in the nacelles. smaller ones would be better.
There are a zillion of these conversions around, but I haven't seen one easier than this. Plane flies just like before but with POWER! Two of my flying buddies are now looking around for used ones to convert!

So, while waiting for better weather and opportunity to toss up my EDF DR experiment, I decided to go with the setup above on my other DR. I used the motors, ESC’s, and dual motor XT60 connector recommended. Plus I’m using an AR635 with gains set to “0” as I’m too impatient to figure out if I can use the AS3X. I’ll research that later. Have APC 6x4’s on it, rotating in the same direction. Again, I’ll look into counter-rotating later, maybe, as I’m hearing it’s not a big deal. Also haven’t bothered to set up differential thrust. I’ll go with a 1300 3s.

Bench testing tells me this setup is pretty thrusty! Should be fun.

Trying to understand something. Throttle trim on tx was at neutral. When turning my throttle cutoff off, the motors would operate slowly with throttle stick at idle. I went into servo setup and put throttle travel up to 140% which seemed to stop the motors at idle throttle stick, and normal operation above. I’ve never had to do this before. Can someone explain this to me? Is it even a problem?
Mar 06, 2020, 03:21 PM
No throttle. travel setup should stay at 100%.

You probably have to calibrate your ESC.
(see manual of your ESC).

Normally you calibrate with throttle full stick , two beeps, then throttle low stick.
For ESC calibration take propellers off.
Mar 09, 2020, 01:30 AM
If all works as well in the air as in the shop I will be detailing my DR conversion to BL motors. Significant more thrust then weight now. Tx converted the conventional new Rx for elevons and differential thrust Tried this before but too crowded with 2 ESC units. These new motors have built-in ESC units. Set up with counter-rotating props.
Hope his year's weather is better then last year with all the windy days we had here.

Quick Reply