Jul 31, 2013, 12:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimpdiggity
I was kind of wondering the same thing. I'd gladly buy a BNF version and bind it up with my DX6i.

I'm GUESSING, however, that the reason it's being sold as RTF only is so that they can include that transmitter with the three way switch which was mentioned is the easiest and most intuitive way to set how you're flying.
yes, I agree but if you go to the Apprentice thread many are binding to their Spektrum tx's and not using the cheaper tx. And if they offering the 350 quad bnf why not this? If it was a tx mix like the stratos uses maybe I could see that. But it's not that I know of.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 31, 2013, 12:46 AM
Valiant Poultry
Well, the quad is kind of a completely different animal.
Jul 31, 2013, 12:51 AM
Quote:
Well, the quad is kind of a completely different animal.
yes it is but it bnf, like people are using with the new Apprentice. The quad is just a example I using with the same SAFE technology. And that is controlling 4 motors not 2 as a BNF. I like the plane but I like the quad more at bnf.
Jul 31, 2013, 01:02 AM
Valiant Poultry
I guess one could probably make the argument that most people that are going to be looking at that quad probably already have a radio, and the RTF version is the one that's kind of the oddball when it comes to the 350 quad.

However, with a plane like the Delta Ray here, it's geared more towards a new pilot that probably doesn't have a nice radio to bind it to...as such, the BNF version would be a bit of the oddball in this case.
Jul 31, 2013, 05:25 AM
Questions to Dave E. (as he is the guy at source):

- can I bind it easily to me DX8?
- can the brushed motors easily replaced with brushless motors (with changing the BEC of course)
- will this bird fly also with 3 cell lipos?
- when will it be available in Germany?

Best regards from Germany,

Uwe
Last edited by rembrand320; Jul 31, 2013 at 05:27 AM. Reason: spelling
Jul 31, 2013, 11:06 AM
Warbird & Jet Lover
Quote:
Originally Posted by rembrand320
Questions to Dave E. (as he is the guy at source):

- can I bind it easily to me DX8?
Yes.

Quote:
- can the brushed motors easily replaced with brushless motors (with changing the BEC of course)
No. The molded plastic nacelles double as mounts for the brushed motors, and it would require some engineering to mechanically fit brushless motors. More importantly, the receiver has twin brushed ESCs integrated on the board and there are no "taps" on the board for connecting a brushless ESC. So to convert to brushless would require a new receiver and separate brushless ESCs, meaning you would lose SAFE functionality.

This may lead you to ask, "What if I used the Apprentice S receiver?" To this I would say the Apprentice S receiver is not configured for elevon mixing. You can't use transmitter-based elevon mixing because the Apprentice S receiver cannot properly apply the SAFE functions and AS3X function to those mixed channels.

Quote:
- will this bird fly also with 3 cell lipos?
Not tested, not recommended. Certainly a way to void the warranty.

Quote:
- when will it be available in Germany?
We are anticipating a global launch around the end of August & beginning of September. This means worldwide availability within about a one-week span.
Jul 31, 2013, 11:53 AM
Dave, I think you guys made a trainer so visually appealing, we experienced folks would like a higher performance one, too! Hint, hint, nudge, nudge, know what I mean?!?
Jul 31, 2013, 01:43 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Rather than buying a Delta Ray and upgrading it with ( $100 worth ? ) of brushless motors , ESC's , etc. , why not get a high performance delta like the Scimitar which is $100 more than the Delta Ray and the airframe is designed for high performance ?

http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/De...rodID=EFL10180

E-Flite C-Z Scimitar Rc Airplane Demo Flight (1 min 44 sec)
Jul 31, 2013, 04:16 PM
But no SAFE technology on that one. Brilliant plane but not for a beginner.
Jul 31, 2013, 05:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xmech2k
Dave, I think you guys made a trainer so visually appealing, we experienced folks would like a higher performance one, too! Hint, hint, nudge, nudge, know what I mean?!?
I have the same feeling too. Please release an advanced BNF version with 3 cell, brushless power system. I love this airframe.
Jul 31, 2013, 05:26 PM
Valiant Poultry
I'm thinking that this plane would be a really good second step for me. I know I've said it already, but I'm certainly interested in preordering one. I wish there was a bit more solid "release date" for it, but I really like the way it looks.

With this one, even if I weren't still in the "learning" stage, I think I'd be interested in making a purchase simply based on the aesthetics of the thing.
Jul 31, 2013, 05:54 PM
Quote:
I'm thinking that this plane would be a really good second step for me. I know I've said it already, but I'm certainly interested in preordering one. I wish there was a bit more solid "release date" for it, but I really like the way it looks.

With this one, even if I weren't still in the "learning" stage, I think I'd be interested in making a purchase simply based on the aesthetics of the thing.
Going by the post up a few it should be out mid September. Though when I preordered my Stratos it did 't come out on the estimated date. I have a light kit I was going to put on my Statos but going to hold off. I will probably order this in Sept and it will look much nicer with the led's on it.
Jul 31, 2013, 07:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddyalce
I have the same feeling too. Please release an advanced BNF version with 3 cell, brushless power system. I love this airframe.
As I mentioned earlier, the airframe reminds me of my HL/HK F-4D-1 Skyray. A very similar planform, I think. With a 4S power system, that Skyray is a fun machine. Vertical climbs, fairly quick but not too much so(Probably too much drag), but can still slow to a crawl and make almost hover landings. A very fun plane. Things I imagine the Delta Ray airframe would be capable of, but with more efficient twin props instead of an EDF.
Jul 31, 2013, 09:47 PM
Valiant Poultry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginohio
Going by the post up a few it should be out mid September. Though when I preordered my Stratos it did 't come out on the estimated date. I have a light kit I was going to put on my Statos but going to hold off. I will probably order this in Sept and it will look much nicer with the led's on it.
Yah, I love Horizon but I've noticed their release dates are sometimes a bit...ummm...fluid.
Aug 01, 2013, 03:37 AM
love the looks i'm not a beginer but i'll still buy two of these one for my son.

Quick Reply