Nov 29, 2013, 08:53 PM
1st to the scene of the crash
Call up HZ support and describe to guy on the phone. He agrees it seems to be a fried rx/esc. Puts me through to sales for a replacement part order which is now on the way(along with a BNF Blade 350 QX). Good choice, if you think the Delta Ray's fun wait till you fly the 350QX It's awesome, performs as advertised. Lane
Latest blog entry: Building the sig astro-hog
to remove ads between posts
Nov 30, 2013, 12:23 AM
Alien WarpSquad
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillyajay
I'm literally the exact opposite. I'm used to flying full throttle without rudder. The only thing my finger touches is the right stick. Occasionally, I realize that my left hand isnt even TOUCHING the left stick (mode 2), and I force myself to touch it. Same goes for random "aerobatics" (me fooling around). When I'm experiment and trying to do random maneuvers, I only realize my finger isn't on the panic button until 2 seconds later, often too late. *facepalm*
The one time I actually needed the panic button was when I went into a dive, and I was literally fighting myself. I was confused between stick back and stick forward to get the plane out of a vertical dive. The plane must have literally been less than 5 feet away from the ground at full throttle when panic button recovered.
Ultra goofed.
I think I should practice pressing the panic button occasionally so that I might think to use it later when the need arises. So far I've missed several opportunities to make good use of it, and suffered the consequences.

I'm a pincher, and I seem to be holding the left stick out of habit. It's possible that my middle finger is sneaking up the side of the Tx and touching the side of the button while I am preoccupied with the model. I'll be keeping my eye on that finger for the foreseeable future.

I too have been flying the DR WOT no rudder - just bank it and pull back on the elevator. It's my first airplane and I hope I'm not teaching myself bad habits. Sure is fun.
Last edited by EArHog; Nov 30, 2013 at 12:48 AM.
Nov 30, 2013, 02:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EArHog
I too have been flying the DR WOT no rudder - just bank it and pull back on the elevator. It's my first airplane and I hope I'm not teaching myself bad habits. Sure is fun.
Haha same. It's great that they included a "fourth channel" for rudder, but I really don't think something like differential thrust is gonna cut it. It just ends up making one wing travel slower, and this eventually caused DR to quickly spiral downwards.
I've tried many many times to fly knife edged (wings perpendicular to ground), with the assistance of "rudder", but to 0 success.
Oh well, it's still doing a pretty good job on most other stuff.
Nov 30, 2013, 07:48 AM
Originally joined: May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillyajay
Haha same. It's great that they included a "fourth channel" for rudder, but I really don't think something like differential thrust is gonna cut it. It just ends up making one wing travel slower, and this eventually caused DR to quickly spiral downwards.
I've tried many many times to fly knife edged (wings perpendicular to ground), with the assistance of "rudder", but to 0 success.
Oh well, it's still doing a pretty good job on most other stuff.
I do use the "rudder" ... and it does help tighten the turns, but I'm trying to build my "smooth turn skills". Yank & bank works...
Nov 30, 2013, 12:10 PM
Have fun
I use it for hammerheads, where it's almost better than a rudder.
Nov 30, 2013, 01:08 PM
Alien WarpSquad
Quote:
Originally Posted by airpower
I use it for hammerheads, where it's almost better than a rudder.
Please describe "hammerhead".

edit - never mind. I googled. Got it now. I'll give that a try next time.
Nov 30, 2013, 01:56 PM
Helicopter Baron
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimpdiggity
However, with a plane like the Delta Ray here, it's geared more towards a new pilot that probably doesn't have a nice radio to bind it to...as such, the BNF version would be a bit of the oddball in this case.
Sounds like they'd sell at least a few more if they offered a BNF. And all they would be doing it leaving one of the parts out of the box, so why wouldn't they?

I'd buy one for my dad. He's just getting back into R/C and I think this would probably give him more stick time than cheap warbirds he's been flying. He already has a DX6i I bought him though.
Nov 30, 2013, 01:59 PM
Originally joined: May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaaarky21
Sounds like they'd sell at least a few more if they offered a BNF. And all they would be doing it leaving one of the parts out of the box, so why wouldn't they?

I'd buy one for my dad. He's just getting back into R/C and I think this would probably give him more stick time than cheap warbirds he's been flying. He already has a DX6i I bought him though.
As packaged, it's a good buy. Removing the DX5e, I'm sure would not reduce selling price by much.

Better to buy RTF then list the TX for sale in Classifieds.

JMO
Nov 30, 2013, 02:35 PM
Have fun
The price is already really darn cheap, it's more like BNF with a free tx already, like the champ.
Nov 30, 2013, 02:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ...quietguy...
As packaged, it's a good buy. Removing the DX5e, I'm sure would not reduce selling price by much.

Better to buy RTF then list the TX for sale in Classifieds.

JMO
DX4e
Nov 30, 2013, 04:15 PM
Alien WarpSquad
We got anyone in here using their Deviation-based Devo 7E?
Nov 30, 2013, 05:27 PM
1st to the scene of the crash
Quote:
We got anyone in here using their Deviation-based Devo 7E?
I fly my MX400 with a Devo7, don't know about the "e" part.
Latest blog entry: Building the sig astro-hog
Nov 30, 2013, 05:54 PM
Alien WarpSquad
oops. I broke the little black nose cone off again.
Nov 30, 2013, 07:42 PM
Alien WarpSquad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laneritc
I fly my MX400 with a Devo7, don't know about the "e" part.
My bad. Sorry. What I meant to ask was "Is anyone using Deviation/Devo to fly a Delta Ray?"
Dec 01, 2013, 01:42 PM
Quote:
oops. I broke the little black nose cone off again.
Ouch lol. Is the whole nose section hollow? That doesnt seem like a good idea, especially for beginner aircraft!

Quick Reply