that goes into pieces, but you can easily fix this with
Epoxy or UHU Por.
- other brands have much more often a total crash,
which cannot happen on a brushless DR.
-life time of other brands in this pocket size is often
only 10 flights, because of poor motors or poor ESCs
or poor servos.
- the stock brushed DR has also poor motors, but you
replace them with brushless durable quad motors.
The ESCs is your free choice. The stock DR servos
perform for years.

For me with a limited budget and as an average RC flyer the choice was now for years the brushless DR.
( I am only talking about the 800 mm pocket size planes ).
to remove ads between posts
Sep 22, 2021, 06:37 PM
Hi guys, just wanted to report that I have postponed the completion of my conversion to next year's flying season, as the weather is turning unfriendly for flying here now towards autumn, and I really don't want to risk maidening the first 'unique' plane I ever did in some windy weather over a soaked wet field. Even if it doesn't crash, it would most certainly lose its good looks.

Apart from that I have some other, proven craft that I really want to fly (much!) more as long as there is a chance - weather in July/August was so bad that I could barely do any flying at all.

Still I'm really looking forward to flying it next year, only some Ardupilot configuration remains, plus attaching some components firmly, so it should be the first thing to do in spring.
Sep 22, 2021, 10:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pulluptoga
Hey Slumi,

Motors 2204-2300.
Props Dalprop 3 blade 5047.
ESC’s Volantex Saber. 920 756-2 30 amp.

All good enough for me.

Cheers.
BTW, I set throttle timer for 3 minutes on 3s1300, land with 3.8 per cell. Ok for me. I get 4 minutes 30 seconds on 3s2200 (ok for windy days), but I like the way it flies on the 1300 better.
Sep 24, 2021, 08:52 AM
Just a question, how volatile do you fly your DR ?
I mean which servo horn hole do you use and which hole on the control surface, assuming a 100% dual rate ?!?
Sep 24, 2021, 10:04 AM
Up! Up! And Away!
Would have to look at the plane, but I've always used max control surface throws. I think that would be outer hole on servo and inner on the surface.

I now also increase TX rates to max with SAFE, but it can take a while to get used to extended throws.

Don't think I did the TX change when using the CC3D stab, however that was fairly early on in my flight experience.
Sep 24, 2021, 11:25 AM
First, sorry for my sons desolate intervention.
The second picture counts. Unfortunately can’t drop the first one.

The small planes are quite volatile. I use on my Spektrum Dx9 a 100% travel and 100% dual rates.

Mechanically I used on the servo horn the lower hole.
But I think, I will increase the mechanical throw.
Oct 07, 2021, 04:25 AM
Anybody have a good source for motor fairings here in Australia? These days they ask crazy money to mail from the USA.
Oct 07, 2021, 11:43 AM
Hi pulluptoga,

Australia is a bit far off. You could only try from Europe.
For example: horizonhobby.de or horizonhobby.fr

Best is perhaps to look on eBay for a used Delta Ray or pieces.

From my side, I also see, that this model runs out.
For me alternative models are the Freewing F-22 64mm, EFlite F-15 64mm, Flightline Fw 190D 850 mm or just other Delta flyers.
Oct 08, 2021, 06:13 AM
Yes, we are far off. Expensive postage and hard to get stuff. But, otoh, good enough weather to fly all year!

I did find a place to get them for reasonable money, but back ordered so will have to wait a bit. No problem.
Nov 23, 2021, 01:31 AM
Got my motor fairings today, so wait wasn’t too long.
Dec 27, 2021, 01:42 AM

4 brushless Delta rays

4 BL delta rays. All with 2205 quad motors . 3s & 4s

Had planned to have all 4 in the air, only got 2 in the air this time .
Dec 27, 2021, 06:23 AM
Out Standing In The Field
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1101
4 BL delta rays. All with 2205 quad motors . 3s & 4s

Had planned to have all 4 in the air, only got 2 in the air this time .
Quite the squadron!

The one in the lead has the angled nose and glue seams of the tried-and-true veteran development "mule"!
I notice that one also looks like it has a "drooped" left elevon that I tried to even out on mine, and between doing that and my attempt to program differential thrust with my new-to-me DX9, I managed to feed my DR into the trees twice, and then lawn darted it on the third attempt in as many days. After giving it some more glue seams, I think I'll put it back to "uniform thrust".
Dec 28, 2021, 01:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RexGalore
Quite the squadron!

The one in the lead has the angled nose and glue seams of the tried-and-true veteran development "mule"!
They have all had the nose broken off many many times . And engine cowls broken off many times .
Lots of crashes , lots of fun . We have other planes , these are our fun fly planes

Theres actually a 5th DR . Its still unused in original box .
Dec 28, 2021, 08:24 AM
1101, congratulations to your fleet. It’s more planes than the Luftwaffe ever had.
I like best the one with the camouflage on the right.
2205 2300kv motors is really the best solution and you may choose between 3S and 4S.
Dec 29, 2021, 03:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by slumi
1101, congratulations to your fleet. It’s more planes than the Luftwaffe ever had.
I like best the one with the camouflage on the right.
2205 2300kv motors is really the best solution and you may choose between 3S and 4S.
Alas, I have only the one
my one is the 2nd on RHS , with RED LEDS on top .

Mine is 2600kv . 2300kv would have been better , but that was something you dont know untill you've tried .
2 of the others are 2300kv, they seem to get longer flight times .
4S is crazy power on these , too fast for what they are .

Quick Reply