Jul 25, 2013, 04:02 AM
Thread OP
New Product

Delta Ray RTF with SAFE Technology by HobbyZone

yet another option for the new guy on the block

Key Features

Intuitive SAFE™ technology provides spatial awareness and flight envelope protection
SAFE technology's panic mode returns aircraft to stable, level flight with the push of a button
Everything you need to teach yourself to fly in one box
Full 4-channel control with differential thrust for smooth performance
Full-Range Spektrum™ DX4e 2.4GHz DSMX® transmitter
Impact-resistant, durable Z-Foam™ construction
Needed To Complete

Nothing! Everything you need to get in the air is included.

If you wish to charge the included battery from an AC power source, you will need the optional power supply (HBZ1004).

Overview

The groundbreaking HobbyZone® Delta Ray™ aircraft utilizes SAFE™ technology to provide unprecedented flight assistance and envelope protection for new pilots. With SAFE technology and carefully engineered aerodynamics, the Delta Ray flying experience is gentle and worry-free, even for total beginners. Plus, everything you need comes in one box, including a Spektrum™ DX4e transmitter, making it the ultimate beginner-friendly aircraft.

Wingspan: 34.0 in (863mm)
Overall Length: 31.8 in (807mm)
Wing Area: 384 sq. in. (2480 sq. cm.)
Flying Weight: 17.6 oz (500 g)
Motor Size: (2) 180-size brushed motors (installed)
Radio: DX4e 4-channel DSMX transmitter (included)
Servos: (2) SV80 servos (installed)
CG (Center of Gravity): 14.4 in (365mm) from the rear of airplane at fuselage center line
Prop Size: 5 x 3
Recommended Motor Battery: 7.4V 2S 1300mAh 20C Li-Po (included)
Charger: 2-cell DC balancing Li-Po charger (included)
Is Assembly Required: Yes
Plane Type: Trainers
Experience Level: Beginner
Power Plant Size: 180-280 Electric
Recommended Environment: Outdoor
Fuel Type: Electric

cheers chuck
to remove ads between posts
Jul 25, 2013, 04:12 AM
1st to the scene of the crash
I can see a whole lot of the Firebird Stratos built into this plane. But overall doesn't look to bad. Lane
Latest blog entry: Building the sig astro-hog
Jul 25, 2013, 07:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laneritc
I can see a whole lot of the Firebird Stratos built into this plane. But overall doesn't look to bad. Lane
+1 Wonder if the Firebird will be phased out
Jul 25, 2013, 11:27 AM
http://www.sgvhumane.org/
are you kidding me? why couldn't they have this when i was learning?
ah well, the supercub was still a great teacher.
Jul 25, 2013, 11:38 AM
Used Experience
WOW, this is AWESOME, and it looks like it uses a standard DSMX controller too, I just might need to buy this
Jul 25, 2013, 11:41 AM
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...nology-HBZ7900

Here is the product page.
This thing flies REALLY well.

Will be a great Teach Yourself To Fly aircraft!

David
Jul 25, 2013, 12:07 PM
How does it fly compared to the new apprentice s 15e? Trying to decide on the new apprentice or this for my first plane.
Jul 25, 2013, 12:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gawl
How does it fly compared to the new apprentice s 15e? Trying to decide on the new apprentice or this for my first plane.
Very similar... a bit smaller and with a softer nose and less energy... which makes it more appropriate for parks and self teachers.

The twin counter rotating props cancel all torque and skids, and blow over the controls for great control in all situations including stalls and hand launches and stuff...

Both fly great and the feature sets and behavior are essentially the same. This is just a lower cost and lower energy for the non club instructor environment...
-------------
The updated and still full range DX4e has a 3 postion switch for easy access to the 3 flight modes.... trainer button is still panic mode.

It is nicely sporty in AS3X (expert) mode.

David
Jul 25, 2013, 01:05 PM
This looks like a great product. I was planning to start my grandkids on a super cub which I'm sure they would love, but now this product offers a design I think they will relate to. I can't keep they away from the jets on the simulator and this model will fit the bill.

Wonder when it will be available in LHS?
Jul 25, 2013, 01:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dribbe
The updated and still full range DX4e has a 3 postion switch for easy access to the 3 flight modes.... trainer button is still panic mode.
Are there workarounds for the 3 position toggle if you wanted to bind a DX6i to this plane (or the Apprentice?). I don't have my DX6i by me right now, but I don't believe it has a three way toggle.
Jul 25, 2013, 01:06 PM
Thanks David, I appreciate it. I'm looking for something easy and comfortable to start with. I have been flying helis for some time now and want something I can just kick back and relax with. That's usually the night vapor but any wind and it gets blown all over. Any issues binding it to other radios such as an 11x?

I think I take a look at this one since it is a bit smaller and should work great in the back yard.

I got a chance to see the new apprentice fly this past weekend and was very impressed. My buddy got one for his 7 year old son and he flew it the first time this past weekend. He did great on it, I was really surprised how quickly he picked it up and how much fun he was having.
Jul 25, 2013, 01:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFu4ever
Are there workarounds for the 3 position toggle if you wanted to bind a DX6i to this plane (or the Apprentice?). I don't have my DX6i by me right now, but I don't believe it has a three way toggle.
Yes... it basically looks at the CH5 'servo output pulse'...
So with ATV's (travel), you can set to pick any two out of the three...
or
With ATV's and P-mixes (2 switches), it could access all 3 at a time... but a bit less intuitive....

The 'MONITOR' is a key tool to look at while experimenting....

-----------------------------------
Should be no issue working with any full (standard) range DSM2 or DSMX transmitter....
(3 pos switch gives the best intuitive flexibility)

David
Jul 25, 2013, 02:07 PM
Fantastic. Thanks for the info!
Jul 25, 2013, 05:39 PM
Drone offender FA377YHFNC
Wasn't someone lamenting that Horizon wasn't coming out with enough new stuff? Wow! Looks great.
Jul 25, 2013, 07:30 PM
OMG! This was just the plane I was hoping for. I have been flying the champ for months now and its been a good little plane, but it just can handle any wind. I was thinking of going with the apprentice but the size and price has been intimidating me. This seems like it will be a perfect next step for me.

Quick Reply