Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
This thread is privately moderated by Darsh, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jul 23, 2013, 02:08 PM
Tinkerer of makeshift failures
Discussion

Paper Canopies for MQX - Part 7: Father & Son

This time I'm not going to post the templates right away, just some pictures. The reason is simple: these things are HARD to put together, especially the Nano version! Those tabs are tiny! However, if there are daredevils among you who feel the need to try this build, I'll be happy to share my template. And oh, btw: the MQX version has both X and + style holes available.
Enjoy:
to remove ads between posts
Jul 24, 2013, 03:32 AM
Team Drone Art
Yes, please share the template. A pdo will be even better. So my cutter could do the cutting instead of me.

Did you scare everyone else away? Nobody else want to give it a try? LOL
Jul 24, 2013, 08:21 AM
Share!
Jul 26, 2013, 02:21 PM
Team Drone Art
Thanks Darsh.

I am having a go at it.

Brochure paper. A balance of gloss, ability to hold the ink droplets like photo paper, and most important...relatively lightweight when compared to cardstock.

Those trianglular tab stripes I cut out of card stock gives the whole thing rigidity and allow the edges to butt up against one another to hide the seams as much as possible.

That's my preferred steps right now.
Jul 26, 2013, 06:20 PM
Team Drone Art

Not bad for round one...

First one completed. I like the color combo. White and red's always my favorite. Reminds me of the Robotech Valkyrie for some reason.

Rear:

Now, to find some red props.

Thanks again Darsh. Great work with these.
Jul 26, 2013, 07:13 PM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Like! Thanks, Darsh. Thanks, Daryoon.
Jul 27, 2013, 07:27 AM
Tinkerer of makeshift failures
Daryoon, if you find suitable props for the nano in any other than the original colors, you MUST NOTIFY ME IMMEDIATELY
Jul 27, 2013, 12:29 PM
Team Drone Art
You know, the nQX pilots are complaining that they are having a hard time finding just the stock yellow and green props in-stock to buy. Seems like there's a shortage.

I really do hope Blade come out with some other colorations. Don't see why not? They'll sell a ton.

Anyways, I found the nQX fits perfectly on the LadyBird sized quads that we're putting nQX FC boards onto.
Jan 23, 2014, 10:27 AM
Fly Low Fly Fast
Daryoon,

Can you post your template? Your lines are very clean.

Thanks
Jan 24, 2014, 11:13 AM
Fly Low Fly Fast
I modified the graphics a bit, cleaned up the lines, added some black, some "vents" and some lettering on the side panels to indicate this is my V202 fc.

I think it looks great. Thanks Darsh!
Jan 27, 2015, 04:52 PM
Team WarpSquad

Props that worked good for me

I was looking for inexpensive ways to keep up with my crashing habit and today thought why not papercraft canopy? You guys are awsome and will be donning a new paper canopy soon thank you much.

I also didn't like the costs of the nano props and from a tip at http://micro-motor-warehouse.com/col.../blade-nano-qx for replacement props from bang good

http://www.banggood.com/5-PCS-HM830-...-p-916674.html

They are only black so orientation is an issue. I fly a lot in the dark by street light so I plan to put Surface mount leds at the end of each arm and use a single wrap of colored electrical tape on each arm to also help with orientation.

For me these props felt more responsive and were a lot quieter than the stock ones. I think maybe I had balance issues in the stock ones. For me on my and my son's nano they are both a lot quieter.

Thanks for the drawings I look forward to a new canopy.
Jan 27, 2015, 05:06 PM
Team WarpSquad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryoon
Thanks Darsh.

I am having a go at it.

Brochure paper. A balance of gloss, ability to hold the ink droplets like photo paper, and most important...relatively lightweight when compared to cardstock.

Those trianglular tab stripes I cut out of card stock gives the whole thing rigidity and allow the edges to butt up against one another to hide the seams as much as possible.

That's my preferred steps right now.
Would you mind posting your white/red version I like the brighter combination for higher visibility way cool guys.
Jan 27, 2015, 05:14 PM
Team Drone Art
I thought I posted somewhere before. Can't find it now. Let me dig it up and I'll post.

My current method is printing on transparency. Airbrush with white paint if there's any white. (Since I have yet to find a white inkjet printer)

Then you can easily tape from the outside so the seams are butt jointed together. Very nice finished seam. Then brush the inside at the seam with Amazing Goop. Remove the outside tape once glue dries.

You have a lightweight. Professional finish plastic canopy. Should be crash resilent too.

You can also have Staples laser print on transparency. I think it was $1.50. And you should be able to print two canopies on one page.
Jan 27, 2015, 05:43 PM
Team WarpSquad
Daryoon, I like the transparency idea. I had a friend that had a dye sublimation printer (I think that is what it was called) he got it for the ability to print in metallics but it would do white also but was very expensive as I remember. He was big into paper craft and card making so it was a good plan for him a bit steep for me.

I am even more excited now thanks for your tip and for looking for the template.

Quick Reply