Dec 05, 2001, 06:30 PM
SKINNI MINI flyer
Thread OP

Has anybody seen this motor, and is it good for e-flight?

I was surfing and came across this motor.

http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bi...136&type=store

Well now that you have seen it and read the no load specs and demensions, what do you think? If it is good for e-flight what well know motor is it similar to? Im sure someone has come across this before.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 05, 2001, 06:37 PM
SKINNI MINI flyer
Thread OP

just did a search.....

I just searched this motor here on the zone, and it seems that this motor is thought of as "old". But it was in the nose of an e- plane before and the plane did fly. They are only 3.50 each, that seems to be a plus. Has anybody else had an experience with this motor?
Dec 05, 2001, 06:51 PM
Ascended Master
I tested a motor like that recently.. it delivered the same rpm with the same prop and battery as a Goldberg Turbo 550... 9,700 rpm, 6.3 volts(8.8 no load), 15.5 amps
Dec 05, 2001, 06:52 PM
BEC
BEC
Well, that looks like a generic speed 500 type motor. There isn't enough information to tell whether it's any good for e-flight, though the 1.0A Io at 6V suggests it might be worth looking into.
Latest blog entry: Back to full capacity
Dec 05, 2001, 07:21 PM
The Mabuchi # RS540SH is what came with those old Tamiya RC cars I had 15 yrs ago, still got some of those motors lying aroud but I'm not sure how well they will do in a plane.
Dec 05, 2001, 10:23 PM
SKINNI MINI flyer
Thread OP
When i first saw the motor i thought that it might be a cheap s400 and larger replacement, but it seems that this is not the case. However with the price tag that it has it would be fun just to get a few and test.

Has anyone ever found a source for the famous s400 motor? And by a source i mean a place that does not sell them as motors for e-flight. Like a large electronics supply warehouse that might sell the s400 motors for just a couple of bucks a piece. Wouldnt that be nice! S400s are so far my preferred size motor for efight. Not to big, not to small, they seem to be just right!
Jul 16, 2010, 02:39 PM
RC Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeinorFlier88
crapity crap crapers crap bumdeded crapers and a and a and a and a!!!!! weee! HEHHEHEEH! GOOD TIDINGS TO U! WHEREEVA YA AR! for i'm a hoppy old fellow! for i'm a hoppy old fellow! for i'm a hoppy olf feeeeelllllloooooowwwwwwwww!!!!!!! that everyone can/can't dennnnnyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!

eufheqghcfdqgveqguvrg
Time to check your medication Have a nice weekend.
Jul 16, 2010, 02:44 PM
Suspended Account
Is taking paxil + zyertech Healthy?

John
Jul 16, 2010, 02:47 PM
There used to be a bunch of different brush motors we used to fly airplanes with. They can be quite inexpensive and worked well. The main limiting factor years ago was we only had nicad battery packs, which were heavy and not a lot of capacity. I still have some of mabuchi 550 size airplanes in my Storage shed, one is a Goldberg plane from that period, along with another off brand plane and a scratch built plane too. I might still have my old glider in the storage shed as well, I forget.
I think one can do quite well today with these motors, as you can use a Lipo pack and that gets the power to weight ratio to be a lot more attractive for good performance.
Considering the cost of the motors, wearing them out and replacing them is no big deal at all.
You can still find the gear reduction drive units here and there for the motors too. Some of the LHS's have a clearance box or bin where they toss the gear drive units in to sell off at a clearance price.

Quick Reply