Jul 22, 2013, 08:05 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

F3B World Championship 2013

The Australian F3b team will be heading to Germany this week to begin preparation for the World Champs at Nardt Airfield early August.

The team would like to thank the following individuals and groups for their support and help for this years WC.
MAAA
AWA
LSF Australia
Jerilderie competitors for their generous donations.
Southern Soaring League
Deb Abraham
Modelflight
Daves Toys / Hyperion Australia
Simon Watts
Andreas Kunz
Armin Hortitz
Roman Vojtech

A quick summary so far.
The team for 2013 was selected at the 2012 Australian F3b Open held in Milang, South Australia.
John Skinner, Mike Rae and Carl Strautins were selected and will be assisted in Germany by Florian Lindner, Hans Lindner and Tim Kullack.

The team will be busy flying in 3 world class F3b competitions over the next 2 weeks.The first is a 2 day World Cup event in Kulmbach the second is the pre
WC event,the Nardt Open and the third being the week long WC.

John and Florian left Hobart on Saturday and will meet up with rest of the team Thursday afternoon at Munich airport.
From there we pick up our VW Crafter van and head off for a 3 hour drive to Kulmbach.
Friday we unpack, pick up line and winches from Andreas Kunz and hopefully have a little practice before the fun begins Saturday and Sunday.
We have the next 5 days to practice and make our way over to Dresdon for the Nardt Open and WC.

Equipment wise John will be taking Fosa Lifts and Fosa , Mike has Freestyler 4's and Carl has Fosa Lifts and a Freestyler.

I will try to report on the events through this thread.
Cheers
Tim..
to remove ads between posts
Jul 23, 2013, 07:05 AM
by ZIPPER
Good luck guys.
BUT, what is F3b?
for us that just like to fly for the fun of it.

Oh, and you have to see if you can get the camper over 155kph on the autobahn, I couldn't.
Jul 23, 2013, 07:33 AM
Auzzie built planks
Go hard guys.... Tight lines and fast turns. . Load those fosa's up

Tim
Latest blog entry: More colours
Jul 23, 2013, 10:12 PM
Adelaide, Australia.
Good luck for next week to all the team. I saw these guys fly at Milang last year here in Adelaide - They are all world class pilots and definetly deserve to represent Australia. I hope you can post a few photos from time to time while you are there Tim?

Greg
Jul 29, 2013, 05:08 PM
Thermal Wrangler

Pre-World Cup Comp. | Kulmbach Open

Pre-World Cup Comp. | Kulmbach Open

This event was used by several International teams including our Aussie team to use as a warm-up to the main event.

Overall winner was Andreas Herrig.

Best placed Aus. Pilots:

John Skinner 11th
Carl Strautins 29th
Mike Rae 57th
Tim Kullack (Team Manager) 65th

Team Assistant : Florian Lindner 33rd.

Aus. Team in action for the distance task, Mike Rae flying (photo: from US F3B Team)

Full placings here on US F3B site.

Photos from the US F3B site.
Last edited by DrFragnasty; Jul 29, 2013 at 05:13 PM.
Jul 29, 2013, 11:00 PM
PJM
PJM
Will be following this event with keen interest.... Good luck guys..

PaulM
Aug 02, 2013, 03:40 PM
Thread OP

The show begins.......

Hot long days.........
That's been the crack.

Kulmbach has been and gone.
In summary great hit out.
John won a speed round.
Florian dished out some major hurt in duration.
Mike solid and winning distance rounds.
Me , spent two days excavating the ground to recover the Freestyler nose that was buried 350mm into it.
The trusty radical was a fair replacement though.
All in all a good hit out with great results.
More to come later.

Some good practice all week in Nardt.
The field is a full size glider field and we have had wind, massive air and matching sink.
Many sub 14 seconds runs including Mike at 13.7 and John having still having flutter issues with the lift.
Florian and Carl also both in the 14 seconds range.

Nardt open starts tomorrow 8am. Looking to get to 37 tomorrow and flying is scheduled 8am to 8pm.
The pits are set up and Mike has done his country proud and carried on the aussie tradition by making a cool 6x model rack.
Will try and get some photos.
Did I say it was hot :-)
Aug 02, 2013, 08:50 PM
Thermal Wrangler
Thanks for the heads-up Tim, sorry to hear about the Freestyler. I hope it's fixable.
What's the general trend with models? FS4 RDS? Any new models there? Dopamin?

Any new strategies evident for launching/ speed/ distance/ duration tasks?

What sort of line weights?

Good luck at Nardt and that weather sounds fantastic; I'm currently rugged-up as snow is forecast down to 600m in Tas ;0()

Chris.
Aug 03, 2013, 04:54 PM
Thermal Wrangler
Nardt | Pre-World Champs Event

This is the last run-in before the actual World Champs and the Australian Team are are all doing well.

Check the event scores here :

http://f3b-wm-2013.rcsolutions.ch/e/nardt_open

Chris.
Aug 04, 2013, 08:16 AM
I do this for fun!
Congrats to all of you for your results in the Nardt comp.

You are already looking like the strongest team we have ever had at an F3B worlds.

I know you'll do us proud and while I know I'm going to see some great individual performances it's the team result I'm really looking forward to.

Go the Aussies!!

Ken
Aug 04, 2013, 08:24 AM
Tragic case
Go boys and stay calm.
Aug 04, 2013, 06:24 PM
kkw
kkw
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFragnasty
Nardt | Pre-World Champs Event

This is the last run-in before the actual World Champs and the Australian Team are are all doing well.

Check the event scores here :

http://f3b-wm-2013.rcsolutions.ch/e/nardt_open

Chris.
Checking the results page, it is good to see the Austria 1 team doing so well. Buggers have stolen our flag though!!! They can't spell Australia. Might send them an email to correct the spelling - just don't mention the war.

Klaus
Aug 04, 2013, 07:54 PM
Thermal Wrangler

Rain Stops Play

Rain Stops Play
...first the cricket and now this! Rain stops play at Nardt.

...still, good to see Mike Rae using the down-time to hone his reactions with Flinstone-esque table tennis.

Note: Images gleaned from the USA TM Gordon Buckland Report

ex-pat Gordon:

Chris.
Last edited by DrFragnasty; Aug 04, 2013 at 08:01 PM.
Aug 04, 2013, 08:19 PM
Thermal Wrangler

Nardt is Over, now for the World Champs

Nardt is over.
Australian Team did well, claiming some big name scalps during the event.

Team finished 10th overall.
  • Tim Kullack (TM) 17th
  • Mike Rae 23rd
  • Carl Strautins 59th
  • Florian Lindner (Team Helper) 61st
  • John Skinner 80th

Next-Up The World Championships
I expect with the opportunity to fly two major events leading into the Worlds and with several International teams using them as practice, the standard of this Worlds is going to be high overall.

Quick Reply