This thread is privately moderated by dacaur, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jul 21, 2013, 08:06 PM
Heli's rule!
Thread OP
Careful!

Funcub prop accident

Hey guys, I am typing this with one hand...... The good news is the doctor says i should fully recover movment in my other hand,,,,, within a year or so.....

So, wednsday evening (july 17), i finaly got my 12x4 prop, the last piece I needed to complete my Multiplex Funcub, I ream it to fit my prop adapter, intall it, and my funcub is finaly complete... Now to test the motor. So I hook up my amp meter and slowly start running it up..... All looks good, untill just as I reach full throttle, it starts to sound weird......

As I start to throttle down, the right side of the nose BREAKS, the motor swings left, and the prop hits me...... It cut my forearm to the bone, severing the tendons to all 4 fingers, two to my wrist, and the tendon for my thumb was 95% cut...... To get an idea how bad it was, at the emergency room the nurses kept sending in other nurses/people to see it, all of them said "wow, thats a good one", or something similar....

So after a 3+ hour surgery to stitch my arm and reattach tendons, I have my hand/arm in this funky cast/bandage, to hold my fingers and wrist bent back to keep strain off the tendons,,, after 5 days I can start to move my fingers, and in 6 weeks I get the cast off and can go back to work......

I have never heard of the nose breaking like this... I have not yet even decided if I am going to keep the plane, but I have 6 weeks to think about it.....

Here are pics. I am not posting the actual wound in the thread, as its pretty gross, but for those that do want to see, i am posting links to the pics,,,,,,

Here is my wifes arm, demonstrating how I was holding the plane down on the table.

Here is how the motor/prop came around and hit me.

Top view.

Bottom view.

Front view, tou can see the chunk of prop that broke off on my bone.... we have not found it yet, I told the surgion to be on the lookout, but he didnt see it either....
Luckily i am right handed an it hit my left.....
My poor 4 year old doughter was standing there watching (I had her behind the plane) and was freaking out!

now for the graphic pics,,,,,

WARNING! GRAPHIC PICTURE OF MY ARM SLICED OPEN!
WARNING! GRAPHIC PICTURE OF MY ARM SLICED OPEN!

And here I am now.... I have to wear this contraption for 6 weeks (until the end of august) No changing bandages, no taking it off,,, I have to put a garbage bag over it to shower ( no, im not posting THOSE pics)

It keeps my wrist and fingers bent back to keep strain off my healing tendons.... I can only sleep on my back, with my arm sticking up in the air..... lame, because I am normaly a side sleeper.... I want to pop my knuckles or even just make a fist SO bad.... but I can't.....

my arm is straight up and down in this pic.... shows the angle my fingers are at.....
Last edited by dacaur; Oct 13, 2013 at 01:44 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 22, 2013, 05:57 AM

fun cub

Whow that prop really chewed a hole in you. Thats kinda scarey, I would have probably held on to the same spot for a run up. I know I have taken risks with my epower planes and after seeing your arm I will revise my practices. That had to hurt.
Jul 22, 2013, 11:25 AM
Heli's rule!
Thread OP
One crazy thing, It didn't hurt when it happened,,,, I have been whacked with props before (no blood) and that's all this felt like....It wasn't until I got it shut down and saw the look on my 4 year olds face that I looked down and saw my arm.....THAT is a sight I will not soon forget..... The pain started on the way to the hospital.....

I always thought of myself as ultra safe, so this was a big wake-up call for me too....
now instead of thinking "OK, I need to make sure there is no way I can touch the prop or start it accidentally",
I will be thinking "OK, I need to make sure there is no way I can touch the prop or start it accidentally, and lets see, if something broke, how far could that prop reach",
Jul 22, 2013, 05:35 PM
Hi Dacaur!

I'm very sorry to hear about your accident, even more that your young daughter had to witness it, it does indeed look very nasty. I hope both of you will get over the trauma and that you will indeed recover well.

Can I ask, was this an entirely new, unflown, uncrashed Funcub?

Best regards

Chrizz
Jul 22, 2013, 09:14 PM
Heli's rule!
Thread OP
Yep, brand new, never flown. I had just finished assembling it a couple nights before, and finaly got my prop that night. This was just a test run up to check amp draw.....
Jul 23, 2013, 06:06 PM
Sorry for your mishap. Your pictures showing exactly what happened and how you got injured are a great lesson to us all. A picture is worth a thousand words.

Get well soon and thanks for posting.
Jul 26, 2013, 11:54 AM
Team Drone Art
Thanks for sharing. Hope you heal completely.

Is that how they suggest to mount the brushless motor? Seems like it needs a cage in the nose area to help with all that torque.
Jul 26, 2013, 12:02 PM
Fan of just about anything RC
That's nasty accident, hope you will indeed recover fully.

I'm also surprised to see this motor mounted this way, even a small plane like the Champ has a more sturdy looking motor mount.
Latest blog entry: For the love of the hobby!
Jul 26, 2013, 02:36 PM
Fly em if ya got em.
Ouch!!! My friend, I am so sorry too. Poor little girl. Hope y'all recover fully, quickly. Hope this dosn't hinder your hobby. I wouldn't blame ya a bit for never touching another. But, I hope you recover and still love the plane. I will constantlly be remembering this whenever I get a battery near one of mine vehicles. Thank you so much for being brave and considerate by sharing. We all feel your pain brother. Get well soon.
Lee
Jul 26, 2013, 03:36 PM
Holy atomic pile, Batman!
WOW Dacaur...

Here's praying for a full and uneventful recovery.

Mark
Jul 26, 2013, 07:28 PM
Heli's rule!
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryoon
Thanks for sharing. Hope you heal completely.

Is that how they suggest to mount the brushless motor? Seems like it needs a cage in the nose area to help with all that torque.
yep thats how the directions have it. I thought it would be plenty too, the motor mounts to a metal plate, which in turn mounts to a aproxx 4-5 inch long plastic rail glued to each side.... Where it broke is just behind the plasic rail.... You can see the rail in the second pic....
I obviously agree its insufficient, though many people have no problem with it... I will NOT be trusting the stock setup when I rebuild it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by leethetreeguy
Ouch!!! My friend, I am so sorry too. Poor little girl. Hope y'all recover fully, quickly. Hope this dosn't hinder your hobby. I wouldn't blame ya a bit for never touching another. But, I hope you recover and still love the plane. I will constantlly be remembering this whenever I get a battery near one of mine vehicles. Thank you so much for being brave and considerate by sharing. We all feel your pain brother. Get well soon.
Lee

For a few days I did contemplate selling off anything bigger than a micro..... But, after much mulling it over (I have plenty of time for THAT now) I finally decided there is no way this plane isnt going to take a chunk out of me without me getting a chance to get back at it...

Hey, one, I guess you could call it an "upside" to this is, I don't think I will be too upset the first time I crash it.... In fact I might just yell out "Yea, how do YOU like it !!"

I do need to think up a new name for the plane though....I had Planned to name it "Ann Deelain" (my two daughters middle names) But somehow that doesn't seem appropriate anymore....
In the running so far:

Slice-N-Dice
Whack Job
Ouchie
Jul 28, 2013, 09:48 AM
Bugle6
Decaur, this was way worse than my battery accident (in my blog.) thank you for taking the time post the details (I'm not man enough to view the graphic photos!) This is a very big warning for me to ensure the safety procedures on my planes. Get well soon, brother!!!
Aug 02, 2013, 12:10 AM
Heli's rule!
Thread OP
I keep meaning to post this.... This is the pic of the contraption I have to wear for 6 weeks (until the end of august) It keeps my wrist and fingers bent back to keep strain off my healing tendons.... I can only sleep on my back, with my arm sticking up in the air..... lame, because I ame normaly a side sleeper.... I want to pop my knuckles or even just make a fist SO bad.... but I can't.....

my arm is straight up and down in this pic.... shows the angle my fingers are at.....
Aug 02, 2013, 01:16 AM
Go small or go home
Whoa! That's really bad news.

Hope the recovery goes well and you can laugh about this some day.
Aug 02, 2013, 01:51 AM
Crash 'em if you got 'em
Man, I hope my wife does not see this -- she made me quit motorcycle road racing after I fell down and went boom. Hope you get better soon, makes me think twice -- the FNG.

Quick Reply