Jul 19, 2013, 09:21 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

K7 Bluebird

Hello all I'm new to this website but thought I would share my Donald Campbell K7 Bluebird project I'm doing she is just over 1/6th scale and turbine powered with telemetry on board FPV system the project will also have his Jetstar support boat transport trailer launch platform from a boat shed all as in the 1967 world record attempt at Coniston water in the UK Lake District
I like the website as it covers just about any think RC
Regards
Al. (UK)
to remove ads between posts
Jul 19, 2013, 01:34 PM
r/c ships and workboats
VERY NICE!! going to be fun to see this one as she comes along
Jul 19, 2013, 03:16 PM
Thread OP

K7 project

Hi Keith ,thanks for the comments I too am looking forward to the trials of K7 the whole project is a tribute to a man who is the only person to break. Land and water speed record and had a belief in the advanced British engineering off the time,his records should have been more recognised by the British people,and the establishments who are governing over these speed records.Anyway more pictures of build below,remember K7 was 14 years old in 67 and in my detail I'm putting every bump bash and repaint! As that's the way she was.
Al.(UK)
Jul 19, 2013, 04:47 PM
hi All, could you clarify the statement that Donald Campbell held both water and land speed records......IN THE SAME YEAR...................he wasn't the only person to hold both records..........both his father Malcolm, and a chap called called Sir Henry Seagrave both held land and water speed records at the same time, but didn't break them in the same year.
all amazing chaps............and John Cobb nearly did it, holding the land speed record and was attempting the water speed record until his boat disintegrated at just over 200mph on Loch Ness, killing him from a broken neck in the early 1950's

beautiful model you are building as well.............will she sail on Coniston Water at some stage.
Jul 19, 2013, 05:17 PM
Thread OP

K7

Hi your write in one way DMCs 1964 water and land was the only one recognised as CN7 was official wheel driven vehicle ,if you punch into google Bluebird CN 7 and K7 world record 1964 it will give you full details of this official record I can assure you his father never achieved this in his time,there is plenty off good books on the Campbell family I send Gina Campbell updates on my build she is a lovely lady and has helped with detail,I again can assure you no one has done this double don't think ill see it in my lifetime.
Running her on Coniston hum......I'd have to have help with that even the real restored K7 with all off Bill Smiths contacts had trouble but will run there when finished but I will run her on Ulswater the other lake where DMC broke records.
Hope this answers some questions.
After K7 I am building CN7 turbine powered WLSR car so I have them both
Thanks
Al.
Forgot to add the WLSR and WWSR DMC broke in the same year 1964 don't think this achievement will ever be broken
Last edited by BoatmanK7; Jul 19, 2013 at 05:28 PM. Reason: Forgot some information
Jul 19, 2013, 06:49 PM
Too cool. Amazing job, I hope youll share some video of the boat running when you get it dialed in.

I've read many of the books on Donald and the K7. Im still amazed that the record still stands where it has for so long. The last of the great speed records that needs to be broken.
Jul 20, 2013, 12:28 AM
Taking care of the pond.
I'm watching this build.
Jul 20, 2013, 12:29 AM
Keep a Steady Strain....
Interesting model subject, looking forward to your sea trial videos....
Jul 20, 2013, 02:43 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by vupilot
Too cool. Amazing job, I hope youll share some video of the boat running when you get it dialed in.

I've read many of the books on Donald and the K7. Im still amazed that the record still stands where it has for so long. The last of the great speed records that needs to be broken.
Yes your wright would be lovely to see the 64 record go in one way but DMC was such a pioneer of jet cars and boats I would like in my lifetime to see it stand as a tribute too him.
Jul 20, 2013, 02:49 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by MILLERTIME
I'm watching this build.
Thanks ill keep posting pictures K7 is a hard boat to do in its own way but I decided to go for detail as well as performance every bump bash and scrape over her 14years off record breaking,sometimes I think making her look new would have been easier
Jul 20, 2013, 03:03 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by MILLERTIME
I'm watching this build.
I will keep posting pictures as the project develops
Thanks for the intrest.
Jul 20, 2013, 03:16 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by capntroy
Interesting model subject, looking forward to your sea trial videos....
It won't be sea trials...she a lake boat only but I will keep you up to date when she takes to the water.
Thanks for the interest in my project.
Jul 20, 2013, 05:40 AM
Thread OP

Jetstar

Hi all this is a picture of Donald Campbell's Jetstar water jet boat which was used as a support boat in 67 at Coniston . I am building this one too to do the same job for my K7.
Jul 20, 2013, 10:00 AM
oldtribefan
Cool project!
Jul 20, 2013, 12:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoatmanK7
Hi all this is a picture of Donald Campbell's Jetstar water jet boat which was used as a support boat in 67 at Coniston . I am building this one too to do the same job for my K7.
Is that stuff some sort of artistic representation of water?

Quick Reply