Feb 17, 2016, 07:35 PM
I'm not as bad as they say.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmab11
Ill have to give that a try and see if it works.

Im sure that im over complicating it. Guess my "logic" isnt very logical when it comes to programing the taranis, but have to get it through my thick head somehow

My main problem was why the logic switch wasent activating when SE was moved. I kept re reading the logic functions on OpenTX U and it made sense but practically would not work in openTX companion...... my thinking that |d|>x SE 50 (or using a high mix instead of a switch with the up, mid, down funtions equallly 100,0,-100) would work to complete the logic switch anytime switch SE was moved from its current position into any other position.

My ultimate goal is to have modes such that (and I have the momentary switch swapped to the left side) pulling SF(down) triggers launch mode. Releasing it (sprung back to SF^) transfers into Zoom. Whenever SE is switched from its current position transfers the mode from zoom to whatever position it indicates (ie ^speed, --- cruise, (down)thermal)....I like this idea so that I can grab the plane in any mode and get back in the air fast and once at apogee can go straight to cruise, speed, or thermal with only 1 or max 2 switch movements. Seems simple enough in my head but....yeah

I have tried using a sticky logic switch where V1 is (edge Sf(down) infinite) and V2 is another logic switch that indicates SE being moved any position other than current (such that I can go to launch from any SE position) using the methods I described above

Sorry for all the newb questions, just trying to wrap my head around the flight modes and take advantage of this awesome platform and learn as much as possible
Make sure that the flight modes are as follows:
1: launch
2: zoom
3,4,5 etc flight mode set by switch SE.
Make a logical switch that is the edge on SF↓ (or SF↑, whichever one is towards the front) with delay 0.0:<<.
(Note the << is important!)
Lets assume this is L1.
This logical switch should blink briefly when you pull SF but not stay set.
Make another logical switch that is true when you move the elevator a certain amount |d| > 20 or something. Call this L2.
Make another logical switch that is a sticky. Make it set with L1. and clear with L2. Call this L3.

Now go back to the flight modes and make flight mode 1 (launch) set when SF↓.
Make flight mode 2 (zoom) when L3 is set.
Make flight modes 3,4,5 on SE↑, SE→ and SE↓.

Here's how this works.
When you pull SF↓ both flight modes 1 and 2 are enabled.
This is because FM1 is set on SF↓anyway, and because the edge on SF↓ sets sticky L3 so flight mode 2 is enabled.
But the flight modes have priority where the lower the number the higher the priority, so FM1 takes priority so you get launch.
When you release SF, flight mode 1 is no longer selected, so flight mode 2 takes over (zoom). FM2 is still selected as L3 is a sticky.
Now when you move the elevator, this sets L2, which then clears L3, thus disabling flight mode 2 zoom. Now whatever state SE is in becomes the next flight mode in priority and you get the mode set by switch SE.
I disable flaps in flight modes one and two so you can't launch with the flaps down.

IMPORTANT make sure you use the raw elevator stick input, not including trim, for L2, otherwise with a lot of elevator trim sticky L3 will immediately clear. Ask me how I figured this out.

Easy peasy.
Latest blog entry: AIrcraft I've built.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 17, 2016, 08:29 PM
Mine is basically the same, but I don't exit zoom if I move the elevator. Sometimes you have to maneuver
Feb 17, 2016, 09:11 PM
Oleg Golovidov
If you are maneuvering you don't need Zoom mode anymore. Zoom mode is about minimum drag (camber = 0 or -1mm) and not moving any control surfaces. Once you start moving the elevator, the precise camber setting doesn't matter as much, you might as well be in one of the flight modes. Speed mode should be close or identical to zoom mode anyway.

For the L2 switch (exit out of zoom), I make a condition that the flap stick/slider must be in the zero position, AND elevator moved. This way you remain in zoom mode until your flap stick/slider is moved up. Otherwise, as soon as you exit zoom your brakes will come on.
Latest blog entry: DLG assembly service
Feb 17, 2016, 09:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by olgol
If you are maneuvering you don't need Zoom mode anymore. Zoom mode is about minimum drag (camber = 0 or -1mm) and not moving any control surfaces. Once you start moving the elevator, the precise camber setting doesn't matter as much, you might as well be in one of the flight modes. Speed mode should be close or identical to zoom mode anyway.

For the L2 switch (exit out of zoom), I make a condition that the flap stick/slider must be in the zero position, AND elevator moved. This way you remain in zoom mode until your flap stick/slider is moved up. Otherwise, as soon as you exit zoom your brakes will come on.
So with this modification.
Add logical L4 that is true when throttle stick is > 90.
Add logical L5 that is the AND of L4 and L2.
Use L5 to clear L3 instead of L2, thus zoom mode only cleared when elevator is moved and throttle stick is up.
Feb 17, 2016, 09:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by olgol

I agree for the most part. But I don't move SE back to speed mode when I launch. So I wouldn't want to exit zoom into thermal half way up just because I decide I need to use some elevator to avoid someone or adjust for wind
Feb 17, 2016, 09:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by clintc
I agree for the most part. But I don't move SE back to speed mode when I launch. So I wouldn't want to exit zoom into thermal half way up just because I decide I need to use some elevator to avoid someone or adjust for wind
My personal program uses another mode, pushover cruise, that is elevator movement triggered while in zoom. Same trim as speed, no flaps.
After that if I move the SE switch ,it goes to whatever mode SE selects.
Only the spring loaded switch is needed to get you all the way to cruise after launch, so plenty of time to pull up flaps and then finally pick thermal/cruise/speed, etc.
Feb 17, 2016, 09:43 PM
That's the awesome part of this radio. You can do it 20 different ways
Feb 18, 2016, 02:03 AM
I just use the throttle stick to exit zoom, when I land its going to be down for flaps down, then pulling the launch switch changes mode to launch, releasing goes to zoom and then throttle over 30% goes to normal flight with throttle stick active again
Feb 19, 2016, 06:55 PM
Airbus Driver
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnowell129
Make sure that the flight modes are as follows:
1: launch
2: zoom
3,4,5 etc flight mode set by switch SE.
Make a logical switch that is the edge on SF↓ (or SF↑, whichever one is towards the front) with delay 0.0:<<.
(Note the << is important!)
Lets assume this is L1.
This logical switch should blink briefly when you pull SF but not stay set.
Make another logical switch that is true when you move the elevator a certain amount |d| > 20 or something. Call this L2.
Make another logical switch that is a sticky. Make it set with L1. and clear with L2. Call this L3.

Now go back to the flight modes and make flight mode 1 (launch) set when SF↓.
Make flight mode 2 (zoom) when L3 is set.
Make flight modes 3,4,5 on SE↑, SE→ and SE↓.

Here's how this works.
When you pull SF↓ both flight modes 1 and 2 are enabled.
This is because FM1 is set on SF↓anyway, and because the edge on SF↓ sets sticky L3 so flight mode 2 is enabled.
But the flight modes have priority where the lower the number the higher the priority, so FM1 takes priority so you get launch.
When you release SF, flight mode 1 is no longer selected, so flight mode 2 takes over (zoom). FM2 is still selected as L3 is a sticky.
Now when you move the elevator, this sets L2, which then clears L3, thus disabling flight mode 2 zoom. Now whatever state SE is in becomes the next flight mode in priority and you get the mode set by switch SE.
I disable flaps in flight modes one and two so you can't launch with the flaps down.

IMPORTANT make sure you use the raw elevator stick input, not including trim, for L2, otherwise with a lot of elevator trim sticky L3 will immediately clear. Ask me how I figured this out.

Easy peasy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnowell129
So with this modification.
Add logical L4 that is true when throttle stick is > 90.
Add logical L5 that is the AND of L4 and L2.
Use L5 to clear L3 instead of L2, thus zoom mode only cleared when elevator is moved and throttle stick is up.

Thanks for the clarification. That makes plenty of sense to me now. The only thing I was trying to do different was to just use a movement of SE to exit from launch mode. However after reading these suggestions I may just have it where the elevator moving more than 20% and having the flaps/camber slider in neutral transitions out of zoom....

Thanks again all for the advise.
Feb 20, 2016, 01:42 AM
Have Fun and Just Fly!
I fly taranis, and occasionally spectrum.

Since spectrum doesn't allow for logical switches, I use a on-off-(on) switch. Pulling spring side is launch, release to return to centre is zoom, and flip forward is standard flight modes on some other switch.

I now use the same three state switch on the taranis , with the same logic. Except that on the taranis I can select standard flight modes also after throttle stick has been set to less then 10% and elevator pushed over more then 10% when in zoom mode.

Throttle has a dead zone of 10%, so I'm sure it is really zero.
Mar 15, 2016, 09:47 PM
This may not look like much but its a taranis rf deck in a 72 mhz 9303 back. Sliders fit right in. Just have to glue in some mounting posts for the pcb. The two two position switches will get soldered to the taranis harness and the back is electrically complete.
The other pic is the semi gutted front. The taranis trim switch boards fit the jr trim switches with just a little trimming.
We'll see about the LCD and main board...
Mar 16, 2016, 06:43 AM
Carboweave, Ask For It By Name
Mickey,
What was your goal for putting Taranis guts in a 9303 case since both cases are close to the same??
Better gimbals, switches?

Terry
Mar 16, 2016, 07:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuchuf
Mickey,
What was your goal for putting Taranis guts in a 9303 case since both cases are close to the same??
Better gimbals, switches?

Terry
Just a "why not" kind of project.
The rev 3 taranis I got for the project has pretty good gimbals already. They changed the centering bars and they were already ball bearing.
Mar 16, 2016, 07:27 AM
Carboweave, Ask For It By Name
Have the quality of he switches improved on the rev 3 Taranis? The early ones leave something to be desired.

On my gimbals I changed the bars to the metal ones and went to Futabe springs. It's good but not great.

Terry
Mar 16, 2016, 07:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuchuf
Have the quality of he switches improved on the rev 3 Taranis? The early ones leave something to be desired.

On my gimbals I changed the bars to the metal ones and went to Futabe springs. It's good but not great.

Terry
I will let you know as i proceed.