Dec 18, 2014, 02:35 PM
Citizen#019
Adrian, same behavior today. I wiped the settings and then reentered and saved them before going out to fly, and F3KM was calling numerical meters but saying feet. Additionally, the voltage reading seemed to be lower that what I recalled- usually, I charge at my desk and take the battery off of the charger around 11, and when I go and fly around 12- 12:30 the voltage readout of the btoa starts around 4.1v. today, I noticed it started around 3.8. I went ahead and flew and stopped when it read out 3.56 at landing. quickly pulled the batt and hooked it to my Altis V4, it was reading 3.9v, so I figures hum, the servos definitely add load, so lets put the battery back on the plane and hook up both the altis and the btoa and see what happens. I was seeing 3.85 on the altis and hearing 3.7 from the btoa. not sure if the charger didn't charge fully or what, so I am going to charge the battery again and put it on the altis and the btoa again to see what they read right off the charger.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 18, 2014, 02:50 PM
Citizen#019
just checked my flight logs and the battery I flew yesterday and today was not the same battery as the last flight before the firmware update, so at this point I am suspecting the battery and not the software, but will still report back the voltage test when the battery finishes charging.
Dec 18, 2014, 04:03 PM
Citizen#019
interesting, the battery came off the charger reporting 4.1v on the altis and 4.13 on the btoa, waited an hour and still see the same voltage. wonder if the battery is weak and hooking it up to 4 ds65k's really bring that out. At this point I am ready to rule out the btoa as the issue however.
Dec 18, 2014, 11:09 PM
A different attitude to RC
Thread OP
I will look into the meters vs feet readout issue.

Always opt on the side of the BTOA being right about voltage (it is usually right!). If you think something is wrong, take the safe option and check the battery properly without flying it!
Dec 19, 2014, 07:27 AM

Amazing device

Hi Adrian,

The BTOA made it past the RSA postal strike and finally arrived in Durban. What an incredible piece of magic. Set itself up and worked perfectly even though I know zip about programming and have a cheapo Android. Many thanks indeed.

I have it set to stop the timer, but it stops at quite a distance - if I fly past within about 10m it stops and calls the time. Have I set something wrong or should I simply disable the BTOA stopping the timer and return to motion sensing?

Kind regards,
Neil
Dec 19, 2014, 12:34 PM
Thread OP
Thank you Neil. Pleased your BTOA got there ok!

To make the device connect a bit later, turn down the Bluetooth transmit power a step or two till it connects at the right time and avoid flying close to you before you do an approach and land.
Dec 19, 2014, 04:02 PM
Citizen#019
went out again at lunch and confirmed that the battery was the issue. My other battery started out at 4.1V - Altis was reporting 4.2. At the end of the session, was reporting 3.6 while altis was 3.7 so consistent difference and more what I expected.
Dec 21, 2014, 03:28 PM
Am using ver 0.6 of the viewer on my win 8.1 laptop. I've repaired a half dozen times but can't connect. What am I missing?

Rob
Dec 21, 2014, 03:32 PM
Thread OP
Rob,
Did you install the FTDI drivers?
Have you tried connecting with the USB cable first?

When you pair to the device from Windows, you may need to choose the services you wish to use from the Bluetooth device (In this case, SPP - Serial Port Protocol). This should add a new serial port that will appear in the list of ports.
Dec 22, 2014, 09:07 AM
Matt Mabry
I just have to say thanks for v6. I had problems connecting and not being able to flash firmware with the other versions. This is the first version that allowed me to connect the first time and everytime(over usb). I finally have new firmware and data downloaded. Works like a charm.

Thanks.

iMac/osx
Dec 22, 2014, 09:42 AM
Hit my smoke....
Anyone notice anything with voltage? Specifically, last session I started getting 0.0 volts after about 10 throws.

I'll try again today and if it happens, see if a power cycle addresses it
Dec 22, 2014, 12:03 PM
Citizen#019
I agree with pickle, I started having use connection issues with v5. Would eventually connect after I left it connected for some period of time, I settled on 20 minutes and that seemed to work for me. Was just living with it, but v6 it connects first try every time.
Dec 22, 2014, 12:35 PM
Thread OP
Great news on the connecting. I had no idea you all had the problem. Please share these things!!

It may be for a few reasons:

V6 is a complete rewrite of the serial parts. It no longer waits and then checks for serial but reads serial as it comes in and then deals with it. So it will be more reliable.

Other possible reason is the serial library used to be RXTX on V5 and below, now it is JSSC which seems to work better not just because it does not need any external dll's or drivers but it's also pure java.
Dec 25, 2014, 03:25 PM
Hello, and a Merry Christmas to you all from the land of Santa Claus and Polarbears, - Norway.
Just got my BTOA a few days ago and today was the first try, in a wonderful winter weather with -12C on the scale

I flashed BTOA with the v5 software on a Mac (OsX10.10.1) with a cable, set the settings on the threeway switch to highest launch (middle) and highest altitude (down). Have connected BTOA to the only free channel (gear), programmed the gear switch to have no effect (-100%/-100%) and Aux2 switch slave the gear channel (I have a Spectrum DX8). Have confirmed with a servo that the three positions works correctly. However, when flicking the switch after a throw, no beep in either positions on the field.
Have read through all of this thread, I found the v6 prerelease, flashed BTOA and set the settings as before, but still no luck (at home). It should detect a couple of meter in height difference even indoors??? The data download to the Mac shows accell., vario., gyro. and altimeter recording but still no beep from either switchposition.
Any suggestions are welcome

Morten, Norway.
Dec 25, 2014, 03:54 PM
Thread OP
How far does the servo you had connected move on switch changes? It should move quite far.

To test the switch feature, it may be better to use a setting on the BTOA of "Output over bluetooth" and "output battery voltage". That way, the device is assured to beep something even if there is no launch data (connect to it from the phone for this test too).

A launch is hard to trigger (you can try sucking on the device cupped in your hands)

Quick Reply