Jul 24, 2013, 08:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremewing
- Your device model
Nexus 7

Quote:
- Your Android version (get it from the android settings > About > Software screen)
4.1.1 Cyanogenmod

Quote:
- How well you think it works (something like always connects, mostly or hardly ever? Is hard to connect to or any other experiences).

Quote:
- The serial port name of your BTOA (is it xxx-SPP or xxx-RNI-SPP)
BTOA-2B80 HW 00:06:66:60:2B:80

My device pairs ok both via fk3 master or the bluetooth panel setup, I see the blue light blinking fast, while the green does also bit slower. After I hit Connect BTOA-2B80 I see that the process goes all OK the device beeps but after a few seconds it looks like it has lost the connection.. if i hit connect again then i see an Unable to connect message.

If i remove the battery and reconnect all, I see/hear:

Ascending tone beeps (5).
Then a sequence of 2 beeps.
Then blinking blue 3times per sec, 2greens per sec.

Open again F3K master, turn On transmitter:

i hear one constant beep every half sec, every for about 10 seconds, then it changes to a 3 beep sequence. No matter the postion of my 3 pos switch I cant connect via f3k master:

Unable to connect device

So no matter what I try, is like if i'm close to stablis a stable connection but it just breaks.

The icon on my android table never get blue even if the device is paired correctly.

Where to look on how to debug this?

On the other hand, when I try to connect from my Mac I see this on the log:

Finding serial ports ...
Done.
Graph hints: drag over area to zoom in, drag up and left to zoom out, click to annotate height, shift-click to annotate vario. Annotations can be cleared from analysis menu.
Connecting to serial port /dev/tty.BTOA-2B80-RNI-SPP (please wait) ...
Exception opening serial port. Check your serial port settings.

Thanks in advance for any hints. Let me know what more info to provide.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 24, 2013, 09:43 AM
i've managed to move a bit fwd using my HTC phone with android 2.2, with it I can connect and query the "altimeter" but only get voltage readings.

with the nexus 7 with android 4.2.2 when i request the reading via the altimeter menu option i get disconnected and then is not possible to connect again (the altimeter option is not present), when i hit connect i get the: Unabel to connect device message.

I move the 3pos switch, listen to diff tones and try to connect again but no matter the position of blibking patterns i can't connect again.

i'm wondering if its the version of f3k master than can't reconnect?

also, is there a way to change the speech synth from spanish to english?

tx!
Jul 24, 2013, 11:45 AM
A different attitude to RC
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by kabelbrand
Adrian,

sorry for that, but i can't find anythink like you told There are no similar definitions with SPP. Because of Windows?
Yes, that is likely the case, don't worry about it. If it's working for you, that is it.
Jul 24, 2013, 12:01 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkz
i've managed to move a bit fwd using my HTC phone with android 2.2, with it I can connect and query the "altimeter" but only get voltage readings.

with the nexus 7 with android 4.2.2 when i request the reading via the altimeter menu option i get disconnected and then is not possible to connect again (the altimeter option is not present), when i hit connect i get the: Unabel to connect device message.

I move the 3pos switch, listen to diff tones and try to connect again but no matter the position of blibking patterns i can't connect again.

i'm wondering if its the version of f3k master than can't reconnect?

also, is there a way to change the speech synth from spanish to english?

tx!
The device will disconnect itself after the first connect on startup. This is when it switches to auto connect mode. There will be around 12 seconds that it will take to connect again and it will do that itself. This 12 seconds on first auto reconnect can seem like a while when waiting. This is to make sure any connections from the Android time out before attempting to connect. Wait for the device to reconnect.

If the switch on the transmitter is not setup properly and the device is set to respond to the switch, you may have problems too. The "Reset Bluetooth" option will cause the device to go back to the original state waiting for the app to connect, so maybe that was happening before the 12 seconds?

The "reset bluetooth" option is designed to allow you to connect the PC to the device after using it with F3KMaster without having to restart power.

The device should not beep regularly after startup. If it does, you have the switch wrong or low voltage alarm set wrong.
It is normal for the device to just readout voltage if no launch has been done yet. You will only hear it tell you non zero values. The fact it is reading out voltage means it's working.

You can change the text to speech language in the Android settings under Language and input or it may be called something different. Look for "text-to-speech" settings.
Jul 24, 2013, 12:49 PM
Thread OP
A note on connecting to the device from Android.

The Bluetooth module in use on the BTOA is an RN-42. There are two types of them on BTOA's and the "HID" version is the newest and recommended from the manufacturer.

There are only four non-HID BTOA's out there. The rest are HID. The two versions do behave slightly differently but both should work well with the current firmware.

Some androids seem to have Bluetooth problems - including 4.2.2 and others. I have attempted to make it work even with these Android related BT problems but sometimes you need to retry a few times to connect or toggle bluetooth off for at least 10 seconds. In extreme cases, restarting the device is the only option but this is usually when BT on the android is not able to turn off or on.

If you do have any problems connecting bluetooth, it may be helpful to look for comments on the internet that talk about your android device and version with "Arduino" and an "RN-42". Share your model name and Android version here and I will do that for you.
Jul 24, 2013, 01:02 PM

first log

Adrian thanks for getting back so quick! is the summer hey!

So I went out and did some soft launches with a plane i'm in the process of fixing.. came back and selected the correct device under the port menu, this time i disabled Bluetooth on my desktop to avoid confusion. As you can see on of the attached imgs I was selecting the BT port before i went to the serial one created:

Connecting to serial port /dev/tty.usbserial-AD020FTF (please wait) ...
BTOA firmware version: V3.
Build: Wed Jul 10 15:15:50 2013

I got the firmware update message but decided to wait and read the altimeter logs before flashing with the latest firmware. I though I had it already since the device I got is from a very recent batch..

Anyhow, now is time to sort out the connection with F3K master so to be able to use it properly at the field. I was also wondering if there's a way to buy the software without the need to give all my info to google play?.. not that them or the NSA doesn't have them..but i prefer not to link my credit card with it yet.

Attached some images that could help create a small BTOA manual.
Jul 24, 2013, 01:34 PM
Thread OP
Great news. Thank you for the update. there are only small(ish) changes to the firmware between V3 and V4, but it is worth upgrading since it will likely work better. The changes were done after sending you the device!

I do not have an easy way to get you on the paid version and still getting updates. The best is to go through the play store and trust Google. If you cannot trust them, then we are in trouble - as we may be already?!

The free version will also work perfectly with the device.
Jul 25, 2013, 02:14 PM
Quote:
The free version will also work perfectly with the device.
Great!

I have done today a second session and see things improving on my launches. I guess all I miss now is to program the middle position action (right now on Bluetooth) or switch the On position action to send the altimeter readings to f3k master (right now the On pos is not active), plus configure the sensors on my android device to be less sensitive to the movements I do when it's inside my pocket (right leg front) since almost all the launches i've done today had a flight aborted message.. too much movement perhaps?

Attached a pic from today, I trully think this device is great. The graph shows the drive back home, including that we forgot stuff at the field and had to drive up again.

Thanks a ton for such good hard/software combo!
Last edited by funkz; Jul 25, 2013 at 02:20 PM. Reason: figured out what the bluetooth option means = resetting
Jul 25, 2013, 02:23 PM

firmware updated, new settings

This are my current settings:

Code:
BTOA firmware version: V4.1.
Build: Sat Jul 20 00:54:19 2013
Data format: V1
Settings format: V6
Height units: 3.28
Battery type: LIPO battery
Low voltage threshold: 3.50
Battery calibration: 1.00
Additional Log: Servo 1
Alula mode: 0
Mid action: Launch height
On action: Battery voltage
Bluetooth power: 2 dbm
Hope next time I can query the launch and batt using the switch and f3k masters speech synth control.
Jul 25, 2013, 04:01 PM
Thread OP
Thank you for the update! Pleased to see you got it working.

If you set a switch action to send the data to F3KMaster (or may be called "output bluetooth" in new firmware), it will read out on demand on the connected android when switching the transmitter switch.
Jul 25, 2013, 06:28 PM
a.k.a. Bob Parks
I have a Jony OA and the separate Bluetooth board from Adrian. I fiddled with it last night, after reading that I should not worry about the "disconnect" after it connected. I had been fighting trying to keep it connected.

I tried a bench test, and everything is working fine.

The program would find the BTOA, connect, then disconnect. I would walk 5 to 8 feet away and start a round, launch, toss the altimeter, battery, PLD reg & wires up in the air (in bubble wrap) a few times then land.

The 13 foot altitudes and time showed up on the display! So I am happier!

HTC One V hardware ver 0002, with Andriod 4.0.3 software ver 1.08.652.11 710RD HTC sense ver 4.0

BP
Jul 27, 2013, 04:25 AM
Thread OP
I just posted a new version of the downloader and related firmware in the first post.

This brings some fun new features, of which an audio vario may be the best?

The BTOA will now also log an "averaged" vario trace of your flight.
Jul 27, 2013, 04:29 AM
Thread OP
New firmware and downloader code posted in the second post for those that may be interested!
Jul 27, 2013, 04:40 AM
Quote:
I just posted a new version of the downloader and related firmware in the first post.

This brings some fun new features, of which an audio vario may be the best?

The BTOA will now also log an "averaged" vario trace of your flight.
I will like to test this under linux, have copied the 'resources' dir out of the mac package, on it there's the Java dir, I have tried to run them with the java opnejdk runtime after making a couple executable but nothing happens..

Anyone out there has done this before?
Last edited by funkz; Jul 27, 2013 at 04:41 AM. Reason: add pic
Jul 27, 2013, 04:46 AM
Thread OP
If you use the "JAR" file from the windows download, that may work on Linux. It is a "runnable" jar file.

To flash the firmware, copy the firmware folder to the same location as the JAR, not sure about avrdude though.

Quick Reply