Sep 17, 2013, 10:52 AM
My Btoa was connecting to my droid last eve. A strange thing did happen though. it read out 226' and a 20X, and I never made it above launch height. then it started to seem more accurate. I did put my antenna out the lower side of the fuse inside a 5/8" piece of heat shrink. I was wondering if it was acting like a suction tube at first?
I did have my all time high of 154 feet so I can say I tossed 50 meters.
This is a very good learning tool as that toss had a nice slope of like 55 degrees and I really worked on form not might. It shows me that 80 degree climbs never result in high tosses or that going for broke works out.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 17, 2013, 11:02 AM
a.k.a. Bob Parks
If there is any breeze, I always get better height by launching more out and into the wind than straight up.

Keep practicing those launches! If you can get 47 meters with a mild throw, with refined technique future launches should do much better!

Isn't it nice to have a high end plane. I really like how my Validol flys, compared to my beat- up planes.

BP
Sep 17, 2013, 11:50 AM
I got a few 143-147's and I did have a breeze. Most were down in the 120-130 range. It was almost like a bell curve... with my peak in the middle of my session. I do warm up and I guess I was getting tired or it was a result of wind calming. How much in feet does a 10 mph wind make over dead calm?
When the wind was howling It went to much upwards me thinks. I have decided that it is best to start in speed mode so that after launch up it does not arc up like it does in cruse mode.
Sep 17, 2013, 03:13 PM
A different attitude to RC
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbp View Post
I received my new BTOA today, and put it in my new Validol. I went out about 5:30 after work to see how high I could throw it. I did not really rip it, but gave some solid tosses.

For some reason it did not beep out the altitude, and after half a dozen tosses, it looked higher than my lighthawk throws. When I downloaded the data, my best was 132 feet, average about 129 feet. That is about 5% better than the lighthawk which averaged about 125 or so.

I think I can do 140 with some warm ups. I was also losing 5 to 8 feet or more on the roll-outs.

I will try the output settings again before I go out next time. It may be my tx settings.

BP
Bob, the device is set to default to "Do nothing" on all switch positions since if someone did not have the switch setup properly, they would have problems using the device "out the box" so to speak. You will need to set your desired actions from the downloader app.
Sep 17, 2013, 05:36 PM
a.k.a. Bob Parks
AD
It connected to the 4.4 down loader fine and I set up the parameters for Launch height & battery voltage on the 3 position switch.

It is on a 1S lipo and the first day I flew I had the battery cut off set too high and it just gave me battery warnings the first time I moved all the servos together. I changed that parameter to 3.65 so the spikes do not set the alarm off.

It did record one flight correctly, out of about 6 tosses. Does the battery alarm disconnect the other functions?

I am not sure I have this model correctly set up in the tx for the switch to work. I get to test it again this evening. I will try the blue tooth phone connection also.

Bob
Sep 17, 2013, 06:03 PM
Thread OP
Bob, to setup the TX, use a servo connected to the channel so you can easily see the switch is working, then connect the BTOA.

The battery alarm will affect the other functions. I suggest you use the recommended 3.5v threshold and you will be fine. I use 1S with that setting.
Sep 19, 2013, 08:58 PM
a.k.a. Bob Parks

Happy Camper!

I am a happy camper with my new Validol

I finally got my Validol all together and got my new BTOA from Adrian working. This evening I went out about 5PM for some recorded launch tests. With my older and much used Lighthawk2 and Vandal I could only get 122 to maybe 135 foot launches.

This evening I cracked (almost) 50 meters! 49.9 (163.8 ft) says the BTOA! I was hoping that the new sleek Validol would improve my launches and it did! Somehow my calculator mis-spoke! I got 163.8 ft and that is 49.9 meters

A question for Adrian, there are a row of annotations with values of about 29 to 32 across the graph. What do these represent?

BP
Last edited by bbbp; Sep 20, 2013 at 08:30 PM.
Sep 20, 2013, 01:55 AM
Thread OP
Those are the G-Force annotations. Click View > G-Forces to turn on the trace. It is a bug to show those without the view turned on.
Sep 20, 2013, 10:50 PM
Thread OP
I just published a new version of F3KMaster (both free and paid).

Please accept my apologies if you had problems with the device beeping every second and it did not work well. This was caused by a transmission from F3KM over Bluetooth every second that should not have been happening. This may only have occurred when using version 4.4 of the BTOA firmware.
Sep 24, 2013, 07:30 PM
*Full Disclosure* Im a Gorilla

Help

Adrian,
I tried installing the BTOA .JAR and sucessfully opened the program. I then connected the BTOA in my devices (Win7 64bit) It advised that Com7 was the port. I selected Com 7 in BTOA 4.4 and tried to connect. I got an error "Incorrect reply from Device" "Check that you've selected the correct serial port and the the openaltimeter is connected and powered" Can you help to point me in the correct direction? Thanks.

Screen shots below.

-Toby Herrera
505-480-0801

might be easier to call me
Sep 24, 2013, 09:11 PM
Thread OP
Toby, install the FTDI drivers for your system from here: http://www.ftdichip.com/FTDrivers.htm and it will detect the USB adaptor.
Sep 25, 2013, 10:46 AM
I installed the drivers but when I connect to my PC with Win 7 64bit I get no tone and no "Other Devices" under Device Manager. Then I bind my CPU's Bluetooth to the BTOA and it prompts for a passcode verification (not 1234) it says please verify if your device is displaying code 76248 with options "yes" "No" or "my device is not showing a code" I get errors for everything except selecting "yes" then the device begins the driver "windows Search" process with which it finds a "bluetooth serial driver" as shown in the pictures above. But when selecting the Com port in 4.4 I only have options Com1, 3, 4, 7, 8 and LPT1. Ofcourse, becuase I see my BT Serial port as Com7 in devices I select that and hit "connect" then the BTOA bluelight goes steady blue and after 10 sec. beeps a couple times and I get the failure shown above. I've tried every other Com port and get no connection. From what I understand, I should see my XXX.BTOA.XXX in the Com port selection window in 4.4 correct? I need some help. Thanks man.
Sep 25, 2013, 10:58 AM
One important question. Should I be connecting my computers bluetooth to the device? or should my PC be recongnizing it with just the Micro USB plugged in? Maybe me connecting it to the PCs BT is messing up my connection....?
Sep 25, 2013, 11:33 AM
Thread OP
The binding on the bluetooth is fine - it will not require the 1234 code in most cases.

If you use the USB cable, that is all you need - no bluetooth. The drivers I linked to are for the USB cable (the FTDI chip that is on the BTOA).

When you connect the BTOA with the USB cable, do you get a new com port appearing? It will likely just be a new comm port number in device manager. You would need to choose that port.
Sep 25, 2013, 02:22 PM
Worked like a charm. Definitely a FAQ topic. There is a Micr USB "charging" cable and a data/charging cable. It will only work with the data/charging cable. The dificult part is knowing which cable is which. There is no markings that I can see that differentiate the two... Cheers!

Quick Reply