Sep 11, 2013, 02:04 AM
a.k.a. Bob Parks
I am trying to get the v4.4 downloader software to run on my new 64bit Win 7 computer. It looks like it loads the settings data from from the OA ( an original Jony board with your early Bluetooth board attached).

I get this message:

Graph hints: drag over area to zoom in, drag up and left to zoom out, click to annotate height, shift-click to annotate vario. Annotations can be cleared from analysis menu.
Connecting to serial port COM3 (please wait) ...
bluetooth OA firmware version: V2.
Build: Thu Jan 10 15:36:25 2013
Data format: V1
Settings format: V6
Height units: 3.28
Battery type: NIMH battery
Low voltage threshold: 3.70
Battery monitor calibration: 1.00
Log servo: 0
Alula mode: 0
Switch mid position action: Output launch height.
Switch on position action: Output battery voltage.
Bluetooth TX Power: 2 dbm
Setting up datastore ... done.
Setting altimeter base pressure: 95416 done.
$$$btresponses:
Outputting 4
.................................Logging disabled.
Incorrect reply from device. Check that you've selected the correct serial port, and that the openaltimeter is connected and powered.

Any helpful Ideas?

BP
to remove ads between posts
Sep 11, 2013, 01:51 PM
A different attitude to RC
Thread OP
Bob, you will not be able to use the 4.4 downloader with the older versions of the BTOA, particularly the adapted OA. It uses a different data structure and also the settings are different, not to mention a different pressure sensor.

The downloader from the old thread will however work.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...0#post23313910
Sep 11, 2013, 02:36 PM
a.k.a. Bob Parks
That must be why it works on my old laptop!

I ordered a new BTOA, payment sent. Now if I could get my raffle prize Orion before the Chili Challenge!

BP
Sep 13, 2013, 04:49 PM
Ok so I finally got a USB cable and set the power up a click and started getting verbal altimeter readings on my old thunderbolt droid. I just love it and on high flights it tells you your max height too. Then today I got an arm band and it wont hook up and stay hooked up.. I might need one more power setting. What power usage difference are we talking about??
Will I notice any time difference on my 1s 1200 lipo? This arm band said it was made of reflective material on the outside?
Sep 13, 2013, 10:52 PM
a.k.a. Bob Parks
My BTOA has it set at +2 db. Much higher & it stops the flight at +/- 20 ft out.

I bet that reflective outer surface is for jogging at night, I doubt it attenuates the signal much. Mine has a clear but thick plastic face.

My new one is not here yet. I have an original Jony OA and an earlier BT board from AD.

BP
Sep 14, 2013, 11:22 AM
Thread OP
The BTOA will use a bit more battery at higher TX power, but it should be relatively little and may not be very noticeable on battery life.

If it seems the armband is affecting it, try without the armband to verify the phone is working on its own.
Sep 15, 2013, 11:16 AM
How come I cant cut and paste from the display window of BO 4.4?
I get the error verifying alt settings every time even though the changes saved?
And if you save changes while you are scrolled up in the display window you cant scroll down to see what is happening until the save is done??
Perhaps this is the Alt driver program and not in your control?? Oh I could use some tutorial on how to set up a switch to call out voltage and then alt?? Or what do you select?
Randy
Sep 15, 2013, 11:35 AM
Hi elkski, sounds like you are pretty much demanding instead of asking, but i will try to answer.. from what is understood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkski
How come I cant cut and paste from the display window of BO 4.4?
I don't think you can copy paste but you can save the selection (data set) for further analysis or you can also make screenshots for when i,e. you have zoomed into some particular flight.

I came to realize that it will be nice to have a cross hair kind of pointer to select/define 2 points and then calculate stuff flight duration...

Quote:
I get the error verifying alt settings every time even though the changes saved?

Yes the error is there but settings seem to save correctly.

Uhmm the rest of your questions I couldn't understand... i think you ask about the method to query the BTOA? If so, just assing a switch to the particular channel where the BTOA is connected, middle position in my case reads out in beeps the latest launch height (that unfortunately doesn't correlate correctly to the log, yesterday i had 1beep, 4beeps, 4 beeps and on the logs the highest launch was 136ft. I think it always reads out the launch in feet. Beeps don't correspond to meters(?)).

Anyhow, hope this helps.
Last edited by funkz; Sep 15, 2013 at 02:14 PM.
Sep 15, 2013, 02:16 PM
That wasn't demanding. I do know and live near Adrian. I wish him the best if luck. I even offered to invest in a run of 100 boards. Yes I understand Hiw to set a switch. My question was about the choices. What does connect to Bluetooth do? Tell the btoa to reconnect? Isn't it always trying to connect. ? Also what is the time interval between max toss height and the calculation to the drop number? 3 sec?
I asked Adrian if a landing is triggered on your phone by a Bluetooth hook up and he said no I thought , but it sure does seem like it for me. I have my signal at 2 db or I don't hook up. Hookups are not a 100% thing. Sometimes it seems like I need to turn my shoulder towards the plane. Does my body block the signal?

It did work quite well today. I had one spec flight and it was worth 10$ to know it was 845'.
Sep 15, 2013, 02:32 PM
Quote:
What does connect to Bluetooth do?
In my short experience i think it does that what you said, reconnects when in range so f3k master reads out voltage and launch height.. correct me if i'm wrong.

I think landing is triggered by proximity of the BT, at least there's a setting to activate that, and a short/small shake.

I wonder if a shake to one's arm to call a landing, in case it doesn't reconnect automatically should trigger the reconnect routine... but again, im guessing here the BTOA magic.
Sep 15, 2013, 08:34 PM
Thread OP
I have a version to release soon that includes a possible fix for the error verifying settings.

In the meantime, you can ignore the error as long as you saved them when the settings loaded properly (no strange numbers in the dialog).

As for stopping the timer when bluetooth connects, that is an option under Menu > Wireless.

The bluetooth item in the switch action drop down is to cause the device to resend the readings to F3KMaster over bluetooth, triggering a voice readout on F3KM.

Your body will affect the range.

"152 feet less 20" means 5 seconds after the launch peak, you had dropped 20 feet. This is a follow on of an original feature of the OA. (Launch height +5)
Sep 15, 2013, 09:54 PM
Can you change the names in drop down? Seems like "transmit data to phone" woud be a better name? How does the btoa determine the top? And can you change the 5 sec to 3. It seems like that is long enough?

Could you have a different sound if it connects or not? That way you could press connect and not have to wait for the small unable to connect. And even better also have a big green lightning bolt if it connects and a red stop sign if it wont connect.
Last edited by elkski; Sep 15, 2013 at 10:01 PM.
Sep 15, 2013, 10:33 PM
Thread OP
The name in the dropdown is "Output over bluetooth" which is descriptive.
The 5 seconds is the same as the OA and I saw no reason to change it.
I will think about implementing a better way to show if the device is connected.
Sep 15, 2013, 11:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremewing
The name in the dropdown is "Output over bluetooth" which is descriptive.

YEs I guess I know what that means now.

The 5 seconds is the same as the OA and I saw no reason to change it.
I just come in with no knowledge of OA but I was counting after I topped out and 3 seconds was long enough for 95% of my drops and recovery.
I will think about implementing a better way to show if the device is connected.
Perhaps a low battery phone sound for not connected. on my droid is is a double sad sounding beep.

I just downloaded my days logs and it only shows 704.6' but I know she said 845' when it occurred?
Sep 16, 2013, 10:02 PM
a.k.a. Bob Parks
I received my new BTOA today, and put it in my new Validol. I went out about 5:30 after work to see how high I could throw it. I did not really rip it, but gave some solid tosses.

For some reason it did not beep out the altitude, and after half a dozen tosses, it looked higher than my lighthawk throws. When I downloaded the data, my best was 132 feet, average about 129 feet. That is about 5% better than the lighthawk which averaged about 125 or so.

I think I can do 140 with some warm ups. I was also losing 5 to 8 feet or more on the roll-outs.

I will try the output settings again before I go out next time. It may be my tx settings.

BP

Quick Reply