Sep 01, 2013, 10:25 AM
A different attitude to RC
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkz
It was a moded ROM that had crappy BT support, after flashing it with a more recent one I manage to connect, so is great to have all this android hackers giving life to still very useful hardware.
A moded rom? Was it an earlier version of mine?
to remove ads between posts
Sep 01, 2013, 11:09 AM
I do this for fun!
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremewing
1) It can work for QT's, sometimes turning up the BT power slightly will result in it connecting in time.
2) Yes!
Sometimes? If I am doing QT practice, will flying a circle around myself within a certain range help, or what would you recommend to give myself the best chance of a reading? It would be nice if it was 'all the time' but so,long as there is a way for me to practice QT and still get launc height advice that will do it for me. Otherwise my option is to buy a Taranis Tx and use telemetry

Futaba FASST is bulletproof. Can I leave the Bluetooth connection on perhaps?
Sep 01, 2013, 11:43 AM
I say sometimes, since it depends on your fuse. Full carbon or 2.4 friendly for instance.

No matter what, turning up the BT power will result in a connection occurring sooner so by the time you have caught the wing tip, it has read out. Turning BT off on launch and then back on actually makes the reconnect more reliable.

Would you get a voice readout of launch height with Taranis? If you need to look at the Taranis or any other screen to see the height, you cannot do QT's
Sep 01, 2013, 12:09 PM
Carlos G.
My in 2.4 friendly nose (polaris DLG) connects at around 5 feet away from me. Usually i get a read out on a QT, but some times it misses too. I thing it just depends in how fast you come in to you......
Sep 01, 2013, 12:15 PM
Yes, it can depend on how fast you approach. Turning up the power one step may make it connect the times it did not before. If you increase the BT power, it will connect sooner.
Sep 01, 2013, 12:20 PM
Carlos G.
Yeah, try that but...... the app won't let me modify the setting, it gives an error if try to do. So since everything is working on the normal setup I just use it like that
Sep 01, 2013, 12:23 PM
Carlos, did you try just closing the settings screen and re-opening it? If I get strange values, I do that and it usually works the second time. If you cannot get it to work at all, I would like to take a look at it on your computer. If it's a laptop, perhaps bring it on Monday?
Sep 01, 2013, 12:33 PM
I do this for fun!
Quote:

Would you get a voice readout of launch height with Taranis? If you need to look at the Taranis or any other screen to see the height, you cannot do QT's
Yes actually, the Taranis does voice read outs. Also, because that would use telemetry I would know my launch height immediately, no need to wait for the plane to come down, plus it provides full vario functionality.

So it is a good solution and I expect it will become very popular for Dlg.

But I already own a 12FG
Sep 01, 2013, 01:56 PM
Quote:
A moded rom? Was it an earlier version of mine?
I meant the android version. Is a rooted device running some modified android.

Today I got few vario alarms, so i decided to re-flash the BTOA, here is the log, i always get an error, no matter i power cycle and reconnect from start it always tells:

Error verifying altimeter settings. Please try saving again.

Code:
Graph hints: drag over area to zoom in, drag up and left to zoom out, click to annotate height, shift-click to annotate vario. Annotations can be cleared from analysis menu.
Connecting to serial port /dev/tty.usbserial-AD020FTF (please wait) ...
BTOA: V4.4
Build: Thu Aug  1 21:40:12 2013
Data: V1
Settings: V6
Interval: 21570
Battery: LIPO LVA: 3.80
Also Log: Vario
Starting...LIPO cells: 3s 
ovfv...................
$$$V
SY,FFFC
S-,BTOA
SD,020C
SA,1
ST,255
S~,0
SX,1
SM,0
SI,0100
SJ,0100
G&
K,
R,1

CMD
Ver 6.15 04/26/2013

(c) Roving Networks
AOK
AOK
AOK
AOK
AOK
AOK
AOK
AOK
AOK
AOK
ERR
Reboot!
Connected.
Getting log information ...
Done.
Loading settings from altimeter ...
Done.
Writing settings to altimeter ...
Done.
Rebooting altimeter with new settings ...
Connecting to serial port /dev/tty.usbserial-AD020FTF (please wait) ...
Starting...LIPO cells: 3s 
ovfv...................
$$$V
SY,0001
S-,BTOA
SD,020C
SA,1
ST,255
S~,0
SX,1
SM,0
SI,0100
SJ,0100
G&
K,
R,1

CMD
Ver 6.15 04/26/2013

(c) Roving Networks
AOK
AOK
AOK
AOK
AOK
AOK
AOK
AOK
AOK
AOK
ERR
Reboot!
Reboot finished.
Verifying settings ...
Loading settings from altimeter ...
Done.
Error verifying altimeter settings. Please try saving again.
I hope is just meaningless, will see if the jumping alarm disappears on the next DLG session tomorrow morning.
Sep 01, 2013, 04:48 PM
That error verifying settings can happen and I need to find out why. If you open the settings screen, does it come up correctly? Also, if it has strange values, never press save, rather close and re-open the settings dialog.
Sep 01, 2013, 05:44 PM
Settings appear to save. I have changed the Txpwr and disabled all vario related log&alarms. Will test tomorrow in the field.

So I tried today, the alarm only jumped once after coming down from a big thermal that provided a 6.6min flight.. I think that it could be the battery alarm, even though on the receiver i get 4.0 volts it might have dropped below 3.8 (where the alarm limit is set). I had just changed the setting to 3.7 and hope that next time is not there anymore.. at least this session it jumped only once.

Now I have a question, on the settings I have that the switch, when in the mid position, will query for max launch. I can hear the beeps in ft. i guess thats the default or is there a chance to have them in meters? (Under height units, in the settings I have 1.0). I'm very curious cause I could hear 1 beep, 3 beeps, 8 beeps, that will correspond to 42mts, but my DLG flight analysis shows a 37.4 mts max.

Indeed, is related more to my launch technique than about on screen info or beeps.. but it will be nice to know both in the flied reports and data viz correspond.

Will have another go tomorrow.
Last edited by funkz; Sep 08, 2013 at 08:01 AM. Reason: cont.
Sep 06, 2013, 12:56 PM
I will look at the beeps and make sure they are sending the units you expect.

I have also made a small change that seems to have improved the settings screen bug and will include this change in the next release.
Sep 09, 2013, 02:42 PM

batt alarm

hi again, i'm now looking for advice regarding my batteries and the battery alarm threshold.

Today I switched the BTOA to NiMH and followed the suggestion to use 4.7V. While fine tuning the flight phases the alarm jumped a couple of times when the flaps were being deployed. Looking at the transmitter battery reading the volt varies from 4.9 to 4.6 when all the servos are in use hence the alarm jumping. I decided to fully charge the battery (please see attached image) and lower the alarm to 4.5 volts.

While flying I got the alarm jumping again 2 times.

The batteries i'm using now are 4.8V 400mAh packs custom made by "KAN" for DKG use. A full 400mAh should have operation times of at least 1.5 hours for 4 servos according to the builder/designer.

If the servos are to operate between 4.6 and 6v and the receiver has a range of 3.5 V … 9.0 V with a current drain of approx. 44 mA (excl. servos).

What will be a safe alarm threshold to use?

TIA for any advice.
Sep 09, 2013, 03:43 PM
My suggestion would be to lower the alarm a bit as necessary to prevent it going off during the "normal" operation of the battery. Take into consideration that the batteries would usually be dead at 4V so you want to be at an absolute minimum of 4.3 to 4.4 and perhaps test the amount of time after the alarm goes off before the battery is completely dead.

Note: Although the designer specified the battery would last around 1.5 hours, this may not be the case and could vary according to the tension in pushrods, pull springs or how much flaps are deployed as well as other factors like digital vs analog servo's. You may get more or less run time according to these factors.

Also, if the alarm is triggered and then stops soon after, I would not consider that a problem if it only does it every now and then, since that would tell you something in itself about the battery state. When the alarm is sounding continuously, then the alarm would cause you to stop flying.
Sep 09, 2013, 05:00 PM
Quote:
When the alarm is sounding continuously, then the alarm would cause you to stop flying.
Yes, that has been the case always, I was actually not aware that it could stop beeping after the voltage raises back above threshold.

Many thanks for your advice, will lower the alarm to 4.4, since the receiver is supposed to be operation from 3.7v up. I guess servos responsiveness will also serve as a sign of "time to land".

Quick Reply