Aug 25, 2013, 02:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kabelbrand
Hello Henk,

please try to inactivate all BT serial COM ports at the device manager you don't need. This can possibly increase the performance, hopefully
Did that but no improvement. Not a big problem at the moment as I can use the usb cable to download data but just curious if anybody else has the same problem.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 26, 2013, 08:11 AM
I download data via USB, on a mac the port conforms to this style of automatic naming: Connecting to serial port /dev/tty.usbserial-AD020FTF

Anyhow my issues are more with F3K master which is somehow calibrated now to the shakings and turns of having the phone on my pocket. Not anymore "flight canceled" announcement for the style of launching i'm trying to improve.. so far still under 35mts.

Guessing that better wind conditions and ballast will help reach at least 10 more meters.. though so far so good. 2 nice thermals out of 30 some flights on a mostly dead air midday.
Aug 29, 2013, 03:01 PM
A different attitude to RC
Thread OP
BTOA's anyone?

Name: IMG_20130829_130150.jpg
Views: 90
Size: 52.9 KB
Description:
Aug 29, 2013, 03:07 PM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
I am late to the party here. Link to purchse site or via PM?
Aug 29, 2013, 03:14 PM
Thread OP
At the moment, there is no purchase page, just PM me.

Please remember, these are still "prototypes" made by hand, by me. You may not be able to tell though.
Last edited by extremewing; Dec 22, 2013 at 07:05 PM.
Aug 29, 2013, 03:22 PM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Thanks - will put it on the "gotta have it list"
Aug 30, 2013, 09:10 AM
HI all, i'm trying to pair the BTOA with an old android telephone. Had managed to install the TTS and got f3kmaster installed but when following the steps to pair both devices I get an alert message on the phone that reads:

"BT pairing request: To pair with BTOA-2B80 confirm that is showing the passkey XXXXX"

When I hit on the pair it appears as the devices go through but according to f3k master it's unable to connect. In the android settings i see "paired but not connected."

I don't have any options to bypass the code generation/request, seems is an old android system but I can't even see where is the version number. So I can't type in either the code generated or the one suggested on the BTOA instructions. 1234(?)

Hope this vague report can bring in some hint, will like to use this smaller and lighter phone instead of a 7" device.
Aug 30, 2013, 11:43 AM
Thread OP
If the android settings says paired but not connected, it is paired ok and you don't need the 1234 code.

Under F3KMaster, what happens when you try to connect?
Aug 30, 2013, 07:13 PM
That's the problem, I try to connect but can't establish a link. When I try with prev paired devices the BTOA answers with the 2 beeps (if im not wrong) and I see the connected message on screen.

BTW, I have the vario function activated both logging and the alarm. Sometimes the alarm jumps (set to 12576 ft/min, by default). The continuos beeping is forcing me to reset by power cycling the device. Or is this alarm related to another thing? The 4 times that happend battery was either fully loaded or above 3.9v. I'm using 1s round LiPo and flying for more than 30min without issues.

Lastly, when I connect a 4s NiMh 4.8V the BTOA refuses to start, the LED light is a but dimmed and the buzzer makes a silent noise. My receivers operate between 3.5 V … 9.0 V. Any idea what might be the case?

uhmm, and one more, what is Launch+5s height in the output options, when is it good to have this +5 in place.

My launches are still below 40mts. Will try to fine tune my preset and hope that not just technique but wind can help me get over the 40mts mark.
Aug 30, 2013, 07:31 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkz
That's the problem, I try to connect but can't establish a link. When I try with prev paired devices the BTOA answers with the 2 beeps (if im not wrong) and I see the connected message on screen.
Does this mean you can connect now?

Quote:
BTW, I have the vario function activated both logging and the alarm. Sometimes the alarm jumps (set to 12576 ft/min, by default). The continuos beeping is forcing me to reset by power cycling the device. Or is this alarm related to another thing? The 4 times that happend battery was either fully loaded or above 3.9v. I'm using 1s round LiPo and flying for more than 30min without issues.
You should not enable the "Vario" check box. That is intended for paragliders or hang gliders as an audio vario and will not be good for DLG use. I should explain that in the app...

If there were "corrupted" settings (strange values for most fields) do not press save. Rather close and re-open the settings screen. This is a bug.

If you did at some point press save with corrupted settings, you may need to flash the device again to reset them properly. This will be indicated by strange behavior and even continuous beeping.

Quote:
Lastly, when I connect a 4s NiMh 4.8V the BTOA refuses to start, the LED light is a but dimmed and the buzzer makes a silent noise. My receivers operate between 3.5 V … 9.0 V. Any idea what might be the case?
The battery is likely dead?

Quote:
uhmm, and one more, what is Launch+5s height in the output options, when is it good to have this +5 in place.
That is simply the altitude 5 seconds after the top of the launch - useful to see if your pushover was good or if you launched into lift.
Aug 31, 2013, 04:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremewing
Does this mean you can connect now?
Can't connect from the old android, but yes, I can connect from both of the previously paired, recent android OS, devices.

Quote:
You should not enable the "Vario" check box. That is intended for paragliders or hang gliders as an audio vario and will not be good for DLG use. I should explain that in the app...
Yes, makes sense now for me.

Quote:
The battery is likely dead?
Fully charged, although I guess I know what it is.. sounds obvious now. The BTOA is set to use LiPo not NiMh. So I guess one needs to stick to that choice. (Or bring a laptop to the field).

Quote:
That is simply the altitude 5 seconds after the top of the launch - useful to see if your pushover was good or if you launched into lift.
Tx for all your answers, they make more clear the use and strengths of the altimeter.

One question (perhaps i'm missing something):

Is there a chance that, when launching, the BTOA sends a "launch" message to F3K master? This way the gravity forces on the BTOA will report and the android device can be left aside (no need to carry it) doing the timing. I see that there's an option to stop the timing once BT is again in range (it is disabled since few times reported landings when the plane was very near but still with flying time on its wings). The idea being avoiding the need to carry/hold the telephone with the transmitter.

A nice weekend!
Aug 31, 2013, 01:08 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Can't connect from the old android, but yes, I can connect from both of the previously paired, recent android OS, devices.
Please let me know the model and version of this device.

Quote:
The BTOA is set to use LiPo not NiMh. So I guess one needs to stick to that choice. (Or bring a laptop to the field).
In the future, there will be a settings screen in F3KMaster for the BTOA.

Quote:
Is there a chance that, when launching, the BTOA sends a "launch" message to F3K master? This way the gravity forces on the BTOA will report and the android device can be left aside (no need to carry it) doing the timing. I see that there's an option to stop the timing once BT is again in range (it is disabled since few times reported landings when the plane was very near but still with flying time on its wings). The idea being avoiding the need to carry/hold the telephone with the transmitter.
Yes, this is a feature I will add in the future. You would likely then disable motion sensing and keep the android in your pocket. I will do tests to confirm if this is reliable or not.
Sep 01, 2013, 06:06 AM
Quote:
Please let me know the model and version of this device.
It was a moded ROM that had crappy BT support, after flashing it with a more recent one I manage to connect, so is great to have all this android hackers giving life to still very useful hardware. This "old" phone can be used solely for f3k master.

Quote:
Yes, this is a feature I will add in the future. You would likely then disable motion sensing and keep the android in your pocket. I will do tests to confirm if this is reliable or not.
Great news! Let me know if you like to beta test it, i will be happy to help.
Sep 01, 2013, 10:19 AM
I do this for fun!
This looks wonderful!

I love my Futaba 12 FG but it doesn't do telemetry and I don't care except for this one purpose. So thanks Extremewing for making a device just for me

A couple of questions please so I can know to buy one of these:

1. If I am doing fast turnarounds, will I get a voice message of my previous launch height and when?

2. I know nothing about the world of Android. Will the cheapest/oldest Andiod phone out there work with the BTOA?
Sep 01, 2013, 10:23 AM
Thread OP
1) It can work for QT's, sometimes turning up the BT power slightly will result in it connecting in time.
2) Yes!

Quick Reply